GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

16 hours ago, Sage said:

@Adam Kuźniar They look good! In the last, it appears to be lit by led? Skintone is too green there; this is an issue with cheaper yellow leds. Halogen will render more magenta*

Cine-D was also at 0 sat (thereabouts). To simulate ideal Cine-D, lower the saturation in advance of the conversion (in addition to WB adjustment):

CD-5_1.5.1.thumb.jpg.38098011f86d84f9c4234ab5563d7f72.jpg

You're correct - cheap Yongnuo LEDs. Also you're right about the CineD Sat - it was at 0. Thanks for the feedback, I'm planning to shoot some stuff around christmas so we'll see if I can do better!

5 hours ago, kye said:

Sometimes playing with the WB before the conversion can tidy things up nicely, and other times you have to do seperate adjustments to different parts of the image.  For example in the wedding shot you could adjust skin tones on one person and not the other by using a combination of a key and a power-window.  You might push the woman slightly toward pink and the man slightly towards yellow, or perhaps just desaturate him and adjust the woman to match him.

That's actually a "kind of" music video - they're a musical duo, she sings and he plays the piano. I should've lit it better to start with but in the final edit (where I didn't use GHa) I did separate the shot and give different WB/Exposure corrections for both of them 
Here's the video if you want to see it :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ikLey6OMDo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/14/2018 at 10:46 PM, .mateusz said:

Has anyone tried these LUTs with LUMIX G80/G85 in Cine-D or knows to what extent its image differs from the GH5?

Or else: @Sage - do you plan to make an XT-3 version anytime soon? My partner just bought it and it's quite fantastic but until it becomes an Alexa colorwise, I refuse to use it ;)

I've just been shooting a promo video with a GH5 in HLG and a G85 Cine D using the Emotive color LUT.  I find they come out pretty close, my main problem was exposing Cine D correctly. Because its a lot of run n gun I just use the screen and what looks right. This seems to work fine when I have HLG view assist on the GH5 but cine D on the G85 I found it much harder to be consistent. Hopefully I'll finish it soonish and can post it here

1 hour ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

That's actually a "kind of" music video - they're a musical duo, she sings and he plays the piano. I should've lit it better to start with but in the final edit (where I didn't use GHa) I did separate the shot and give different WB/Exposure corrections for both of them 
Here's the video if you want to see it :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ikLey6OMDo

Nice work!  Couldn't understand a word but they can certainly sing very nicely, I watched it through to the end and that's rare for me with music video examples.

The grade looks really nice and your lens choices seem nice also.  It's a very professional looking outcome to my eyes :)

10 minutes ago, kye said:

Nice work!  Couldn't understand a word but they can certainly sing very nicely, I watched it through to the end and that's rare for me with music video examples.

The grade looks really nice and your lens choices seem nice also.  It's a very professional looking outcome to my eyes :)

Thank you man! I'm not totally satisfied with it but I'm glad people like it :) That was shot on the G85 + EF-M2 + C 16-35 2.8; graded in FilmConvert 

8 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

That video is pretty wonderful. You did a great job, even audio wise..

On 12/21/2018 at 2:46 AM, Adam Kuźniar said:

You're correct - cheap Yongnuo LEDs. Also you're right about the CineD Sat - it was at 0. Thanks for the feedback, I'm planning to shoot some stuff around christmas so we'll see if I can do better!

Sure thing; led quality is indeed vital (on the Alexa or any camera). Check this out (the color spectrum graphs give a sense of it):

https://www.oscars.org/science-technology/sci-tech-projects/solid-state-lighting

Hi @Sage I bought this some time ago and have read this thread and others around the web but with all of the additional tips and advice given for specific problem solving, by you and others (often going into detail discussion in the threads used for discussion) I find myself overwhelmed by all of the instructions for using it..

Not sure if I am alone in feeling the need for a video walk-through or alternative screen-grabbed instructions? It probably stems from me being a very visual learner and all of the written comments / instructions tipping me into overload, so having paid out for something that looks really impressive and useful, I am unfortunately struggling to engage with it. There seems to be others requesting tutorials and help around the place too.. sorry if this is just my ineptitude.. can you help please? 

Are there plans for this in the future.. I am patient, and I know the creation of tutorial resources can take a whole lot of time and energy, so if these are planned I am happy to wait, thanks.

@matthere That's the plan, I prefer video tutorials myself. As soon as I can, I will do that. I will be working over the holidays; currently enmeshed in site coding at the moment (server side back end that is a first for me). At its most simple, GHa is summarized as:

1) Applying Main, Soft or Linear

2) Setting Luminance (to conform to cinema luminance, outlined on the waveform guide)

Send me an email with a few tiff/dpx stills; I can do example grades with them and walk you through them

On 12/22/2018 at 9:26 PM, Sage said:

Sure thing; led quality is indeed vital (on the Alexa or any camera). Check this out (the color spectrum graphs give a sense of it):

https://www.oscars.org/science-technology/sci-tech-projects/solid-state-lighting

Great link - I've seen power distributions before but not in a film-making context so the colour charts were a new addition.

One of my favourite things about the science of colour is that there is no such colour as purple..  that one took a while to wrap my head around!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 2:55 PM, Alex Laskka said:

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this amazing Alexa conversion. I was redirected to this forum by the sage.
Just wanted to share my first 8bit CineD results and get your tips on exposing skin with zebra in camera.

Thanks!

I've shown those stills to a lot of people! Looks like you are doing quite well with exposure ;)

Also all the work from these two is great (EC since Nov):

And this one is quite good too:

https://www.webstagram.one/media/BsOfDXlj5nF

3 hours ago, jase said:

@Sage since the G9 shares the same sensor as the GH5 is it safe to assume that your LUT should work on it fine as well (especially when it also seems to work on the G85)? Of course for the G9, CineD has to be used due to the lack of HLG.

I think it will probably work. Granted, when it comes to color, its hard to assume (measurement is often a surprise)

Here is a Cine-D to VLog conversion to test it out with: http://emotivecolor.com/hlgtovlog.html?v=1.2

On 1/18/2019 at 9:11 AM, Sage said:

I think it will probably work. Granted, when it comes to color, its hard to assume (measurement is often a surprise)

Here is a Cine-D to VLog conversion to test it out with: http://emotivecolor.com/hlgtovlog.html?v=1.2

hi Sage, not sure if you answered this but are you planning to release the LUTs tailored to the GH5s and the Pocket 4k? If so, are you close? I understand you are working on a ton of other stuff

11 hours ago, RCV said:

hi Sage, not sure if you answered this but are you planning to release the LUTs tailored to the GH5s and the Pocket 4k? If so, are you close? I understand you are working on a ton of other stuff

That's definitely the plan; at present, I've had some breakthroughs in figuring out the server code that I needed to tackle, so I'm getting close there. Then I can return to developing the site, and subsequently the cameras. I'm also simultaneously shooting a film, which is consuming all of my free time (for the next month). I used the actual Alexa on some shots, GH5 on the rest. I want to have everything ready by May. That's the goal.

15 hours ago, Sage said:

That's definitely the plan; at present, I've had some breakthroughs in figuring out the server code that I needed to tackle, so I'm getting close there. Then I can return to developing the site, and subsequently the cameras. I'm also simultaneously shooting a film, which is consuming all of my free time (for the next month). I used the actual Alexa on some shots, GH5 on the rest. I want to have everything ready by May. That's the goal.

wow. Inter cutting alexa and GH5, thats legendary! Keep up the good work

18 hours ago, Sage said:

Probably should rest until BMD fixes their color science 4 lol

The red clipping is dreadful and appears on every camera using color science 4 - even on Blackmagic's own BRAW samples.

Just now, deezid said:

Probably should rest until BMD fixes their color science 4 lol

The red clipping is dreadful and appears on every camera using color science 4 - even on Blackmagic's own BRAW samples.

Oh my; I heard something about it. If they are fixing that, then its probably ideal that I wait (they are still not in stock though)