Zhiyun Crane 2 - improvements and drawbacks

mojo43

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Another review, this time by Brandon Li. I think I’ll hold onto my money. BTW, I saw someone shooting with one last week, it’s ridiculously huge, no way would I ever want to travel with that thing.

Its similar in size to other single handle gimbals, but what's the alternative if you want gimbal-smooth handheld footage?

To the OP - Joshua, what boom pole are you using for the jib-ish shots?

@Trek of Joy Have you handled one of these? It's much larger than the original Zhiyun Crane, which I would say was the average size for single handed gimbals. The alternative is to get the original Crane  or v2, which is already smooth, like Brandon Li's been using for his wonderful videos, and he's got no intention of upgrading either. Unless you're using a large camera or long heavy lenses, there's no need to upgrade. Those who want to throw a Sigma 18-35mm on their GH5 might consider buying this, but that's not my style. I prefer compact primes for gimbal work.

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

@Trek of Joy Have you handled one of these? It's much larger than the original Zhiyun Crane, which I would say was the average size for single handed gimbals. The alternative is to get the original Crane  or v2, which is already smooth, like Brandon Li's been using for his wonderful videos, and he's got no intention of upgrading either. Unless you're using a large camera or long heavy lenses, there's no need to upgrade. Those who want to throw a Sigma 18-35mm on their GH5 might consider buying this, but that's not my style. I prefer compact primes for gimbal work.

Shoot, didn't realize there's a v2 and a 2, I thought the 2 was the v2. Yes I've handled almost all of them, was in B&H back in Sept and spent hours tinkering. I have my sights set on the v2, just traveling around right now and can't find a good price on one. Almost pulled the trigger in Dubai a couple months ago, but it was still $800. Should have gotten one when I was back in the US in Sept. 

@Trek of Joy the 2 is around 830euros, V2 is 630. The thing is that Crane 2 is better in absolutely everything, and I am not talking about load weight, but all the rest; better tightening mechanisms, Manfrotto plate, OLED screen, nice button lay out, you can't damage the camer on the crane, etc; even the case is superb! I do not have much experience with gimbals, and usually Ronin is the preferable solution, but I had some issues with the classic Crane.

I wish there was a Crane MK2, not just to make things more confusing, but to take the good things from the 2, and put it on a Crane V2 design and tier! Then we would have Crane V2, 2 and Mk2.

I seriously consider the 2 for those reasons, and then you can mount a C100mkII there too, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/11/2017 at 10:26 AM, Ty Harper said:

I've used the Glidecam HD400 with an arm brace for most of my time shooting stuff. How do these ones compare weight-wise? And are there arm braces or accessories to help with the weight?

I have one, and while the weight is similar to a glidecam + camera you don't need to have the arm brace because you can hold it in both hands, or swap hands, or just shift the weight around so it doesn't hurt your arms. That said, you still need to be disciplined and manage operator fatigue -- I tend to brace the bottom of the gimbal on my hip between shots to take the weight off my arms and I put it down at every possible opportunity.

On 16/12/2017 at 1:57 PM, buggz said:

So, would this be good for a GH5 with Metabones 06.4XL Speedbooster and a Sigma Art 18-35?

How about a GH5 with Metabones 06.4XL Speedbooster and a Canon 24-105?

Newshooter reviewed the Crane 2 with a GH5 + PL Adaptor + Zeiss CP.2 cinema lens, and if it can do that I think it'll handle your GH5 + Sigma combo. The centre of gravity is as big an issue to consider as pure weight -- I've stripped my C100 mk2 down to bare minimum with a 24 pancake and that's pretty much at the very edge of what it can handle even though it's well within it's weight limit, because the camera is so tall and the centre of gravity so much higher than regular dslr/mirrorless cameras. I think it would be the same for long camera/lens combos, but I don't think you'd have a problem with your camera and lens.

• 2 weeks later...

just set up the crane2.  God the zy play app is terrible.  Didn't even know what way was up on my tablet.  And the motor controls are a bit hopeless.  With my pilotfly I could control the rate and which is started moving (panning, say), and the rate at which it slowed. With the crane it starts suddenly, and although there is a setting to allow a smooth slow down its rubbish. If you're panning quickly and stop quite quickly instead of the speed tailing off gradually (and therefore naturally) it drops to it's crawl speed, and then crawls for however many degrees you've specified.  

can anyone tell me if there's anyway to get finer control than what's in the zy app?

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Yeah just wait few months ;) 

Everything seems to be in turmoil! 

Seriously, I am 100% sure that Crane will answear to the Ronin S, even before the S will be available, and anyway, I haven't been particularly impressed with older gimbals I have tried (including the Crane), and there is Mozza, Meiyu, Pilotfly and more, in the game now.

Usually renting out a Ronin for most jobs but I want something small for the summer, and I could easily pay a 20% DJI premium, if the product is right for my needs.