Sony F65 vs Alexa Mini (Arriraw) vs Ursa Mini Pro vs Red Helium vs Red Dragon

Ed_David

Testing all these cameras out against each other - the ursa mini did quite well!!

Sony F65 vs Alexa Mini (Arriraw) vs Ursa Mini Pro vs Red Helium vs Red Dragon
All shot at their highest resolution!
Testing skin tones and motion cadence and highlight handling!

Using filmconvert profile kodak 250d, also lowering exposure on it cause it blows out the highlights.

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Public Record (for the RED DRAGON)
No Frames (Mikko) for the Red Helium
Adam Uhl for the Alexa Mini!!
And Viewers Like You!

WHICH CAMERA IS WHICH??

The results will be posted below.

But first!
A quick announcement!
Shot on Zeiss 100mm standard speed - at T2 - I think. I don't remember.
Did I shoot with glimmerglass1 or not - I don't remember. 

Shot over the course of a month, in a poor scientific matching way on all fronts.  No chip chart.  No measured distance nor t stop.  

This test is a mess.

Sony F65 - 4k Raw Lite 3:1
Red Helium - 8k 5:1 compressoin
Ursa Mini - 4.6k 3:1 compression
Alexa Mini - Arriraw 3.2k
Red Dragon - 6k 5:1 compression

HELIUMfinal_1.1.1.jpg

URSAfinal_1.2.1.jpg

F65final_1.3.1.jpg

DRAGONfinal_1.5.1.jpg

F35final_1.6.1.jpg

ALEXAfinal_1.4.1.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I liked C, F, then A for skin. B & E lacked warmth. Overcast?

In the street I like F, A, then C. C looked a bit too magenta. The sky was overcast for E, I think it could look good in the sun. B didn't do a lot for me.

I'm gonna guess F is either the Alexa or the F65, but fuck knows.

What's the asterisk on F signify Ed?

Ed (if you've got a 5D Mk3 handy) would you mind grabbing the skin tone shot @ 3k raw? A decent 50mm at f/2 will match up.

4 hours ago, squig said:

I liked C, F, then A for skin. B & E lacked warmth. Overcast?

In the street I like F, A, then C. C looked a bit too magenta. The sky was overcast for E, I think it could look good in the sun. B didn't do a lot for me.

I'm gonna guess F is either the Alexa or the F65, but fuck knows.

What's the asterisk on F signify Ed?

Ed (if you've got a 5D Mk3 handy) would you mind grabbing the skin tone shot @ 3k raw? A decent 50mm at f/2 will match up.

The test is real.

A is Red Helium (low-light)

B is Ursa Mini Pro

C is F65

E is Arriraw (Alexa Mini)

F is red dragon

F* is red dragon in s16mm mode with angeniuex glass

Test showed me that Ursa Mini holds its own in skintones and highlight handling.  Not as precise as the red helium or f65 or alexa, but pretty darn good.  And on the street - doc stuff, it definitely holds its own.

It showed me the helium definitely has better skintones than the dragon, but again, on the street, not as crucial, all though the dragon kind of has a "dead" feeling to me - something about it lacks flair.

The alexa and the ursa mini for me was the most natural off the bat.  The Ursa mini has nice reds that I like.  It falls apart in highlight handling in more extreme situations, but it's a $6k camera, and it's going against $50k cameras :)

It shows me that the f65's mechanical shutter is beautiful - but not really that noticeably better and definitely does not make the extra weight and bulk and size of the f65 worth it.

It's a crap test, but I still learned a lot from it.

Mostly this: I gotta stop buying cameras.  Cause every 6 months a new camera or sensor will be out, and the old one is not as good.  So I shouldn't be pushing for a tool that's not as good.

The new venice - it could be amazing, and it's possible the ursa mini will look 80% as good , with a lot less hassle.  

Canon 5d mark iv and mark iii raw - I should try those guys out.

But, in the end, I am still gravitating more and more to 16mm glass and feel.  

The red dragon was pretty darn beautiful how it handles the extra grain - moreso than the ursa mini pro (all though that has nicer colors) and the micro camera - with its moire issues as well as iso issues.

But still, is it worth $20k to have a working 16mm camera when the world is moving towards full frame for video?  How does 16mm feel compared to full frame?  That's my next test.