Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Magic Lantern Raw Video

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Does anyone use mlv_dmp ? I for the life of me cant get it to work ! I know you need it to take advantage of the 4K features ūüė© is there an alternative ?

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.0

14 hours ago, mercer said:

So you’re using the May 1st build? I was looking into the experimental builds a little and it seems they said some of the features would be included in the nightly builds eventually... but I guess they’re not there yet?

I still would like to stay with 14bit when possible but I am really looking for some slow motion. I don’t even care that much about higher resolution... the 2:39 1920x810 still blows my mind every time I bring the footage into the computer... so for me... someone more interested in cameras as storytelling tools... what more do I really need?!

What do the Isco 36s go for now? If I do get into anamorphic, I’d like to easily end up at 2:39/2:35... so I guess a 1.33 or 1.5 anamorphic is the way to go with 14bit? Also I don’t think I’m ready for double focus. Any inexpensive options you can think of with that criteria?

Jun 27 build. Isco 36s are going for between $3000 and $5000. Considering how good they are and how much new anamorphics cost they're worth the money I suppose. I just wish they were 2x instead of 1.5x. Andrew put together a guide to anamorphics, you might find some cheap options in there (I haven't read it). I don't like the Kowas. I think the Isco Ultra Star with a single focus adapter are probably the next best thing to the Isco 36, they're more like 1.8x. Most of the cheaper anamorphics are pretty crappy, very soft, probably OK for 4k on a GH5s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/30/2018 at 5:26 PM, mercer said:

Does the eos-m have anamorphic mode in ML? If so, I thought that could be fun to mess around with.

A lot of progress has been made on the EOS M in the last two days and it looks like they've been able to make the camera shoot in mv1080 mode using the full aps-c sensor (no crop) for the first time ever (as opposed to the mv720 mode that the camera was always stuck in). This means that the EOS M will now be as capable as the other digic 5 cameras.... so what I said before about anamorphic shooting changes completely - this will now be a great camera for anamorphic as it can record max 1736x1120 (3:2 aspect ratio) which I think uses the whole sensor height and width. Will do my first test soon - liveview preview isn't working fully yet though. Can't wait for the Viltrox speed booster to be released soon and shoot full frame raw video with this £100 camera!

Here's the forum post and first footage: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg203530#msg203530

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have tested it and it's working fully. The preview is stretched vertically 1.6x for now - as if there were an anamorphic lens attached, but other than that it's fine. I never thought they would manage to do this! 

Also, seperately, here's the most extensive test I've done so far with the new crop rec 2.5k mode (max 2520x1386) on the eos m. I recorded at 2224x1200 to get usable record times of around 10 - 20 seconds per clip. It was a very warm day so the camera got pretty hot!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my first quick test with mv1080 full sensor recording on the eos m (1736x1120), no crop and continuous recording in 14 bit lossless raw. I'm happy with the image quality and moire isn't too bad. I think youtube softens the image slightly, so have uploaded at 1440p which hopefully looks a bit better:

 

@webrunner5 In crop mode at 2520x1080 or 2520x1386 the ef-m 15-45mm lens is 50-150mm full frame equivalent (3.33x crop). With a 0.71x speed booster that will be a 2.36x crop - so using an ef-s 10-18mm (modified to fit speed booster), that would result in 24-43mm full frame equivalent. The ef-m 15-45mm won't work with the speed booster.

The river thames video I shot at 2224x1200, which has a crop factor of 3.75x, so the 15-45mm lens was 56-170mm equivalent there. The crop factor changes depending the resolution selected - values can be calculated here: http://rawcalculator.bitballoon.com/calculator_desktop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! It will certainly be slightly similar to the 5D once the speed booster is available! At the moment, the resolutions I've mentioned above require the use of highly experimental builds that aren't even available in the experimental downloads page yet. It's a bit of a hassle getting the different modes to run, however progress is being made pretty quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alpicat said:

Here's my first quick test with mv1080 full sensor recording on the eos m (1736x1120), no crop and continuous recording in 14 bit lossless raw. I'm happy with the image quality and moire isn't too bad. I think youtube softens the image slightly, so have uploaded at 1440p which hopefully looks a bit better:

 

@webrunner5 In crop mode at 2520x1080 or 2520x1386 the ef-m 15-45mm lens is 50-150mm full frame equivalent (3.33x crop). With a 0.71x speed booster that will be a 2.36x crop - so using an ef-s 10-18mm (modified to fit speed booster), that would result in 24-43mm full frame equivalent. The ef-m 15-45mm won't work with the speed booster.

The river thames video I shot at 2224x1200, which has a crop factor of 3.75x, so the 15-45mm lens was 56-170mm equivalent there. The crop factor changes depending the resolution selected - values can be calculated here: http://rawcalculator.bitballoon.com/calculator_desktop

Yeah, that looks pretty good. You should make a Rear Window inspired short film. 

Are you still processing your files in Resolve using Juan Melara’s linear method?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mercer thanks! I do need to make a short film and should watch Rear Window, can't believe I haven't seen that yet! 

Yes I'm using Juan Melara's method on resolve, at least for clips where any highlights are blown out otherwise it's not needed. It's the easiest way to get highlight rolloff to look ok - I have it all set up on resolve so it only takes a click and minor exposure / colour balance adjustments after that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the feeling that fewer and fewer people are using ML. For me the flexibility of the raw files is the main reason to use ML, this paired with the 'fullframe look' makes it such a versatile cam that looks different than most with their 'video' look. 

My guess is that most people can't be bothered with the workflow but any RAW format will require a lot of time, thats what you choose for when you shoot RAW. Using ML on paid shoots is something I'm entirely comfortable with. 

To keep it going, some projects of mine:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So even after using ML for over a year now, I am still a rank amateur on a lot of the features. I started shooting 14bit 1080p (well in 2:35...) and haven’t done much experimenting with it. Just recently, I decided to test the 3x zoom and realized that I only really need 2 lenses... a 28mm and a 50mm and then with the 3x zoom, I’ll get an 85mm and a 150mm. Obviously, I am forced to shoot in a stuttery greyscale... but are there any other draw backs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mercer said:

So even after using ML for over a year now, I am still a rank amateur on a lot of the features. I started shooting 14bit 1080p (well in 2:35...) and haven’t done much experimenting with it. Just recently, I decided to test the 3x zoom and realized that I only really need 2 lenses... a 28mm and a 50mm and then with the 3x zoom, I’ll get an 85mm and a 150mm. Obviously, I am forced to shoot in a stuttery greyscale... but are there any other draw backs?

More rolling shutter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2018 at 7:23 AM, Alpicat said:

@mercer thanks! I do need to make a short film and should watch Rear Window, can't believe I haven't seen that yet! 

Yes I'm using Juan Melara's method on resolve, at least for clips where any highlights are blown out otherwise it's not needed. It's the easiest way to get highlight rolloff to look ok - I have it all set up on resolve so it only takes a click and minor exposure / colour balance adjustments after that. 

That’s cool. I don’t use Resolve enough to know short cuts. Honestly, I’ve been exclusively using the MLV App lately... I just love the LogC conversion to ProRes.

12 hours ago, squig said:

More rolling shutter.

Thanks squig, they’d probably be locked down shots anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2018 at 4:42 PM, baksteen said:

I get the feeling that fewer and fewer people are using ML. For me the flexibility of the raw files is the main reason to use ML, this paired with the 'fullframe look' makes it such a versatile cam that looks different than most with their 'video' look. 

My guess is that most people can't be bothered with the workflow but any RAW format will require a lot of time, thats what you choose for when you shoot RAW. Using ML on paid shoots is something I'm entirely comfortable with. 

To keep it going, some projects of mine:

 

 

 

 

 

 

I really like your shots, but I don't see any growth in dynamic range, at least I see a lot of shots were the mids are underexposed with proper exposure of the sky or the sourroundings overexposed with proper mids... Not like any mft or apsc can do better, but I would expect a bigger reward for using raw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, baksteen said:

Raw indeed doesn't suddenly boost the DR. The main reason people shoot RAW is for the post workflow. 

It is not that it is Just Raw so much, it is that most cameras that Do shot Raw do it in a 10-16 bit environment. No the typical 8bit, 10 bit in low Codecs that are common to them., like they do in say the 5D. So there is in reality usually a 1 to 1 1/2 stop boost using Raw efficiently. That means editing it right also.  You can screw it up as easy as you an help it if you are clueless LoL.

The main advantage to Raw is that in reality you can't under, or overexpose the output unless you REALLY screw up. So you have all the DR you can possibly get out off the sensor, bypassing a lot of the added processing in that Raw file. So you get what you see thing more than what the camera Normally wants you to see with it's onboard processing engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I finally updated my nightly build to the July 4th build and so far everything seems good... once I remembered all of my settings.

I also tested the 4K crop module and in all modes it seemed unuasable. 2/3rds of the screen was whited out. And I really couldn’t get any higher resolutions/lower bit modes to work cleanly in LiveView. I don’t know if it was the build I was using or if I just didn’t have the correct settings configured... either way... I just reinstalled the latest nightly build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been away from ML from some time, back in the day the 60fps 1080p ML was really a 720p upres kinda thing and was kinda soft. Was this improved in the last 2 years?  

 

Man you just cant beat those 5d III RAW colors..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...