"Dies Somnum" 6K Anamorphic GH5 vid

Neumann Films

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not.  Here is the second video we shot for Panasonic using the 6K Photo Mode (4:3 at 30p and converted to 24).

We utilized SLR Magic Anamorphic primes.  These lenses are a bit of an enigma, honestly.  At first...I really didn't like them.  Super soft wide open.  Tons of CA, couldn't focus closer than 5 feet or something, and at T 2.8 you're struggling to get light into the GH5.

This shoot in particular was challenging because we needed a ton of light just to get below ISO 3200.  I really tried to keep these lenses above T 3.5 as often as possible, the shots where we were wide open will be glaringly obvious to most of you. 

All of that to say, if you have enough light and can stop down enough, these lenses clean up and really look great.  The timelapses from this video show you a bit of what to expect with that combo.  Unfortunately we didn't have the 10bit anamorphic firmware for this shoot, otherwise I would have shot in VLog and 10bit...who knows what that would have changed in the final images.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wow, even if this is 8bit I LOVE the look and the feel! Also the blockbuster lut and the distortion on the corners!

Some of the night shots are too exposed for my taste, but I can imagine the pain in the ass while filming it.

What lenses have you used, also how did you light the interior shots?

Cheers!

10 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

Wow, even if this is 8bit I LOVE the look and the feel! Also the blockbuster lut and the distortion on the corners!

Some of the night shots are too exposed for my taste, but I can imagine the pain in the ass while filming it.

What lenses have you used, also how did you light the interior shots?

Cheers!

The shots in the ghost town at night were a bummer because I forgot the softboxes so they were really harsh.  The wind was going crazy and we had a limited time frame...it was a frustrating night in a lot of way, ha!

We used the Aputure 120d to light everything.  The interiors had an Aputure 120d against a bounce and then another 120d outside the window and turned down quite a ways. A 120d lit stuff in the forest shots from a 24 foot Manfrotto light stand.  Then I ran around on the ground with a handheld Lume Cube :)

We used the SLR Magic 2x Anamorphic primes for MFT (the set, which is 35, 50, and 70mm)

4 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

The shots in the ghost town at night were a bummer because I forgot the softboxes so they were really harsh.  The wind was going crazy and we had a limited time frame...it was a frustrating night in a lot of way, ha!

We used the Aputure 120d to light everything.  The interiors had an Aputure 120d against a bounce and then another 120d outside the window and turned down quite a ways. A 120d lit stuff in the forest shots from a 24 foot Manfrotto light stand.  Then I ran around on the ground with a handheld Lume Cube :)

We used the SLR Magic 2x Anamorphic primes for MFT (the set, which is 35, 50, and 70mm)

For some reason I thought you used the Anamorphot, not the primes. Anyways, I think I am not the only on who would love to hear more about those lenses. 

How do you find gh5's anamorphic mode after shooting on pro cameras (like red, etc.)?

31 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Dude. Killer! I have the 2x 35 and 50 right now for a shoot this weekend. What did you monitor with? I have the SmallHD 502 and when i do 2x desqueeze it adds extra black mattes on the left and right making the image super small. Any idea why?

Thanks Aaron!

I just monitored in camera...which was rough.  Never used the SmallHD, so I couldn't tell you why it's doing that!

32 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

For some reason I thought you used the Anamorphot, not the primes. Anyways, I think I am not the only on who would love to hear more about those lenses. 

How do you find gh5's anamorphic mode after shooting on pro cameras (like red, etc.)?

I'm really warming to them.  If you just stop down a bit they clean up and sharpen up.  The 35mm is really distorted but that's a look a lot of people want.  A little lens distortion correction in post and stopping down to 3.5-5 produces some really nice visuals.  Add to that 10bit and VLog for 4:3 Anamorphic in the latest firmware and you are cooking.  They really need desqueeze in camera.  That would make it a complete anamorphic solution.  Even without it its still pretty good though.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Beautiful... Panasonic made a great choice signing you up. That is exceptional

Thanks Jimmy, that nice of you to say :)

51 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Dude. Killer! I have the 2x 35 and 50 right now for a shoot this weekend. What did you monitor with? I have the SmallHD 502 and when i do 2x desqueeze it adds extra black mattes on the left and right making the image super small. Any idea why?

I was watching a video on the Lumix YouTube channel detailing the anamorphic mode and somebody asked the same question (I think):

"To my knowledge the HDMI can't output the full anamorphic resolution so it crops it and adds black bars on the sides?"

Lumix answered: "You are correct, if you elect to output the 4:3 aspect ratio of the Anamorphic mode over HDMI, it must "fit" into the resolution available for HDMI output, that resolution can be no taller than 2160 pixels so the HDMI output will have a 2880x2160 image within the HDMI approved 3840x2160 output (think of it as a 4X3 image with pillar-box bars on either side, like the Blue-Ray of The Wizard of Oz, a movie presented in its original 4:3 aspect ratio). If you record internally you get 3328x2496 resolution with no pillar-box bars. Keep in mind that you can always record to the internal and external recorder together and see if the added resolution is important to the production."

Hope that helps. Here's the video I pulled the comment from, if you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reKtdJhEGg4 

27 minutes ago, Parker said:

I was watching a video on the Lumix YouTube channel detailing the anamorphic mode and somebody asked the same question (I think):

"To my knowledge the HDMI can't output the full anamorphic resolution so it crops it and adds black bars on the sides?"

Lumix answered: "You are correct, if you elect to output the 4:3 aspect ratio of the Anamorphic mode over HDMI, it must "fit" into the resolution available for HDMI output, that resolution can be no taller than 2160 pixels so the HDMI output will have a 2880x2160 image within the HDMI approved 3840x2160 output (think of it as a 4X3 image with pillar-box bars on either side, like the Blue-Ray of The Wizard of Oz, a movie presented in its original 4:3 aspect ratio). If you record internally you get 3328x2496 resolution with no pillar-box bars. Keep in mind that you can always record to the internal and external recorder together and see if the added resolution is important to the production."

Hope that helps. Here's the video I pulled the comment from, if you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reKtdJhEGg4 

Thanks for that. So it's a Panasonic issue and not SmallHD. Bummer.

1 hour ago, Neumann Films said:

It looks great!...as does the design!...beautiful production value in your film, and the GH5 delivered as well!...can I ask which of your LUTS you used?

This looks awesome! The best testimony to a great camera! 8bit, f5 at iso 3200, no log - and then looking that great! You are kidding!

Great achievement on your side and on the GH5 side. Best thing Panasonic could do, to work with you! Congrats to this beautiful moody piece.

1.25- just wow!

3 hours ago, Parker said:

How do the external recorders get around this?

Sorry, I'm confused.

4 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not.  Here is the second video we shot for Panasonic using the 6K Photo Mode (4:3 at 30p and converted to 24).

We utilized SLR Magic Anamorphic primes.  These lenses are a bit of an enigma, honestly.  At first...I really didn't like them.  Super soft wide open.  Tons of CA, couldn't focus closer than 5 feet or something, and at T 2.8 you're struggling to get light into the GH5.

This shoot in particular was challenging because we needed a ton of light just to get below ISO 3200.  I really tried to keep these lenses above T 3.5 as often as possible, the shots where we were wide open will be glaringly obvious to most of you. 

All of that to say, if you have enough light and can stop down enough, these lenses clean up and really look great.  The timelapses from this video show you a bit of what to expect with that combo.  Unfortunately we didn't have the 10bit anamorphic firmware for this shoot, otherwise I would have shot in VLog and 10bit...who knows what that would have changed in the final images.  

WOW!  This very nice!

I like it a lot!

Thanks for sharing!

Uhm...

WTF is with this merged replies crap?

I don't like this editor, probably my parnaoia settings in Firefox, sigh...

@Neumann Films That was really nice! Good work. I have been waiting to see more serious anamorphic footage out of GH5. And now they released even the 10-bit option which is great. Only if it could shoot a little more slowmo than 50p. Like 100fps in anamorphic mode would be great.

You used IBIS in those handheld shots, right? How did the camera work with IBIS and anamorphic lenses. Did it make any weird shifts or corrections it shouldn't because of the anamorphic glass? Or did it just work perfectly? I assume you used IBIS setting as 35, 50 or 75 depending which lens you used.

Those SLR Magic lenses definetly focuses quite close. Or did you use some diopters with them?

9 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Thanks for that. So it's a Panasonic issue and not SmallHD. Bummer.

I feel your pain monitoring anamorphic on the 502. I've asked them repeatedly to implement custom scaling so we can use the full width of the screen. One halfway solution is to put the monitor into scaling for the Canon 5D. It punches in a bit, which helps, but it's not perfect. My Odyssey on the otherhand handles anamorphic monitoring perfectly.

15 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Very nice colors and mood. Which luts did you use? I'd like to see some pics of the before and after grading, if possible. Thanks.