Adobe Rant

Neumann Films

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's not so simple to say good bye to Premiere CC because of two simple facts:

• There is a bunch of very useful and well done third party plugins for Premiere, not existing for another kind of software than Premiere
  • Familiarity - most people are already used to the GUIs and workflows. Getting the same abilities for another software takes time and efforts (and at the end of the day, every piece of software has its weeknesses and flaws)

In my eyes, there is no "holy grail" in this market...

18 minutes ago, jcs said:

@Axel how do you like Affinity Photo? Why do you still use Photoshop and not just Affinity Photo?

Bought a book for Affinity. Found, that almost everything is covered. No one should subscribe to PS if he doesn't already know it, he should start with Affinity. Some things work better (for me) like refining masks. However, there is one thing I don't like: updating changes is slow. I mainly use PS for raw stills. ACR has a page with HSL sliders (don't know the name off the cuff) where I practically "grade" my whole image. Didn't find that particular tool in Affinity Develop. But who knows, perhaps this is just the famous quest for the blue button ...

As a mac user with pro video needs and only mid level photo needs, I do fine with no Adobe products at all.

FCPX is fantastic, especially with Color Finale and Film Convert plugins for grading. iZotope RX plugins for audio and Coremelt for tracking etc. Motion 5 is fine for graphics and FCPX has good native title options. I own logic but rarely use it.

I use Affinity Photo and Designer in place of PS and illustrator and they're more than good enough for my needs.

The one thing I really feel the lack of is a Lightroom alternative. It still boggles my mind that Apple dropped Aperture and replaced it with ... Photos. I bought Cyberlink Photo Director 8 recently to try as a photo library, which seems adequate if rather slow at loading thumbnails. To me it's weird that apple offer an excellent and well supported pro video app but not a pro photo  manager. You'd think the two would go hand in hand.

1 hour ago, jcs said:

Two more apps to replace (Affinity has Designer to replace Illustrator?)

i need to replace illustrator too!! let me kno if u find anything good ?

im so used to photoshop ill always use that but id be cool with paying adobe less money every month ?

3 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I've been pushing for that now for years. Would be awesome. They've actually come a long way in incorporating features from AE. Other than motion tracking, the only feature that keeps me going into AE is motion blur.

Have you tried using Transform for getting motion blur in your Premiere animations? It's worked well enough for me recently.

9 minutes ago, Lucky Luke said:

I think U are a bit unfair... Panasonic and the other brands should with a new product take care for a customer. With a new product they should bring parallel the converter, software. So GH5 is here and someone else should take care for the rest...hmmm 

Converter? Software? Okay, admittedly I only know the few first Neumann clips - the 10-bit clips could be easily opened and played back by FCP X natively (with Better Quality enabled and If a frame drops, stop playback and warn checked). Resolve didn't recognize them. Just tested with Resolve 14 beta: Aside from the 60p (8-bit) clips, the others show Media offline

It's funny how VLC as well as QTX accepts them. Edius does ("edit anything"). 

9 hours ago, kaylee said:

i need to replace illustrator too!! let me kno if u find anything good ?

im so used to photoshop ill always use that but id be cool with paying adobe less money every month ?

CorelDraw. IMO it is better than Illustrator.

Surprisingly, Adobe Creative Suite 6 is still very powerful with a few plugins, specially in Premiere Pro I mean what the heck is new in the other Premiere Pro versions that impacts your editing flow? 

Premiere Pro CS6 you just need a plugin that allows you to use LUT's and then you can just use Resolve to edit a LUT for each of your footage since Adobe decided to show us the finger when it came to SpeedGrade which is so SLOOW and so BUGGY, it infuriates me it even got released and Adobe's constant issues with OpenGL from time to time.

Adobe wants everyone to move over to the Cloud model, I could not handle it so I just got it the righteous way. But every release, its always so freaking buggy and it takes months for them to patch it, its so sad that this is the sort of business model they choose to run when they could have continued to add features to CS6 package and make it even better instead they gave the finger, told us "You want new features? You must subscribe to us on the cloud service instead" I have personally yet to see a CC version of the entire package that is stable, I also used the legal versions at work on Mac's and its equally buggy and slow specially when editing 4k footage, I do miss codec supports in Premiere Pro CS6 though but nothing you cannot technically get without plugins, there are also ways to get Premiere to take just about any format that exists with Windows Codecs. 

At the end of the day, we are crippling ourselves by getting spoiled with new tiny little features that Adobe adds, and we do not want to move to anything else because they do not have it, but in reality there is ALWAYS a way to replicate it, and its funny they edited many masterpieces with such ancient and basic software in the past when the digital age just began. They did a lot of cool stuff with such basic stuff its really mind boggling. 

Also its very sad that they cripple Camera RAW for older Photoshops like CS6 and CC 2013 just to force you to use their newer versions which are not very fast, I recommend just for fun try the old versions and notice the speed difference compared today, and you will scratch your head in how its possible that newer software based on same code has become slower for no apparent reason.

2 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I have not. Is that a plugin?

Nope! It's actually a native effect under "distort" that I didn't know existed till just recently. It doesn't quite have the sophisticated controls of After Effects's motion blur, but it does gives you shutter angle, which is all I ever use. 

47 minutes ago, pandovian said:

Nope! It's actually a native effect under "distort" that I didn't know existed till just recently. It doesn't quite have the sophisticated controls of After Effects's motion blur, but it does gives you shutter angle, which is all I ever use. 

Seconded, thanks for the tip!

14 hours ago, Axel said:

Other NLEs, like Edius and FCP X, used - and continue to use - every dirty trick to improve performance. Premieres 2015's proxy workflow was awkwardly and half-heartedly integrated. As if editing non-natively was a shame.

To be fair, FCPX transcodes to proxies too (though you can feasibly not do that), it just does it in the background and allows you to edit while it's doing it...

FCPX is super fast though

On 25-4-2017 at 2:24 AM, DPC said:

That's exactly what I thought. Then I wondered if I simply hadn't understood how Resolve works. What I like a lot about FCPX is being able to just create a new library for each job and know exactly where it, and the backups are.

You can easily switch Resolve from database storage to file system storage - no problem even in version 12. All you need to do is uncheck the PostgreSQL install option. Even when running Resolve in database mode, you can optionally save into a conventional project file. This allows you, too, to convert your existing databases into project files, deinstall PostgreSQL and save into files by default. I tested this, and it works.