Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 day zero

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 3/25/2017 at 7:15 PM, lafilm said:

Andrew, Congrats on your new GH5!

Now for the (2) two million dollar questions - if you would be so kind;

1. Does this camera have Crop Markers (2:35,2:40,1:85 etc...) ?

2. Does this camera have the Monochrome/ Black & White  (or whatever they call it now) option in which to view the EVF/LCD monitor ??

Thank you.

Bump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/03/2017 at 9:55 PM, gepinniw said:

Glad you were able to get your GH5 earlier than expected. It's a downright shame that Panavision has failed to recognize your many years covering their cameras. The quality of your analysis and the size of your audience surely deserved a pre-production loaner. Hopefully one day you will get the recognition you deserve from the good people at Panavision.

I am salivating at the prospect of getting my hands on a GH5 myself. I've put in a request with my bosses to get a GH5 and a G85 as well as a couple of new lenses. A few of the features I am excited about are the 10 bit high bitrate video images, the new stabilizer, and the focus stacking for macro stills. The stabilized video is probably the number one thing for me. We have a big Ronin gimbal but it's mainly for our Red Epic, and reconfiguring it for a smaller camera is quite a chore. Near-gimbal quality always at the ready is very exciting prospect indeed.

Looking forward to reading about your impressions of the camera. Keep up the good work!

I agree. Andrew produces some of the best videos that come out from Panasonic Cameras. Also his reviews drive a lot of people towards Panasonic. They have been for quite long now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2017 at 3:52 PM, Ken Ross said:

Imackreath, it's hard to tell from that clip since it's only in 720p, but have you seen this on a 4K monitor or UHD TV? Does the extender actually retain 4K resolution? IOW, because it's creating a 4K file doesn't necessarily mean it's doing so in 4K resolution. 

The transcoded clip from final cut pros resolution is 3840 × 2160 so it is 4k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sanveer said:

I agree. Andrew produces some of the best videos that come out from Panasonic Cameras. Also his reviews drive a lot of people towards Panasonic. They have been for quite long now. 

Can you share some of the videos Andrew has done were he used panasonic cameras?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Paul Cryer said:

Someone has asked on the GH5 FB group about aspect ratio markers and the answer is no, it doesn't :(

Thanks for the answer. I actually guessed, because not only did it take 3 months to get the answer, people who used the cam (in advance) never mentioned it.

It was one of the very 1st things mentioned by owners of the A7S series cams.

So, Pany decides to throw everything but the kitchen Crop markers on this cam, which makes buying an external monitor for Crop Markers (your shot composition!!) essential. 

Shame. Ridiculous in 2017.

Almost as bad as Canon not doing it either.

Dont they promote this cam for making movies? You will not find one cinema camera on earth that doesent have this feature.

Except of course, the Canon 1DC.

But low light is very average anyway, and this just killed it.

Your witness.

NAB 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to say the inbuilt stabilisation is amazing. I bought the 42.5 1.7 iOS lens solely because I didn't own a fast stabilised prime for my gh4. I had the 25mm 1.7 LUMIX lens but that had no iOS and was unusable handheld.

now with the gh5 I can happily use the 25mm 1.7 handheld.. and find myself using it more than the 42.5 because of the better focal length.

i honestly cannot tell much difference between the stabilisation the inbuilt gives with a non stabilises lens and dual is 1 with something like the 12-35 mk1!

oh and low light is a lot better, as is noise reduction.. pretty much shot in the dark at 3200 with minimal noise and after some neat video you would think I was shooting at ISO 400!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is still an issue with gh5, metabones speedbooster ef ultra and zoom lenses (like my Sigma 18-35). When You zoom in, the camera freezes. Is there a way to contact someone from Pansonic to ask if there would be a firmware update and if yes when?

I contacted both Panasonic and Metabones, but they didn't reply. A lot of folks are using adapters with m43 cameras so it is a big issue for us, with this otherwise great camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/3/2017 at 3:52 PM, Ken Ross said:

Imackreath, it's hard to tell from that clip since it's only in 720p, but have you seen this on a 4K monitor or UHD TV? Does the extender actually retain 4K resolution? IOW, because it's creating a 4K file doesn't necessarily mean it's doing so in 4K resolution. 

Looks like 1.4 ETC in 4K retains full resolution:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a 3 cam documentary shoot yesterday, here are some frame grabs from the 1080p sequence.

Shot in 4K, 8-bit, Standard picture profile, WB 6000K

 

Lens Turbo, Pentax 50mm f1.7, set to f3.5

tumblr_ono8yg4JRr1u2ndiwo2_r1_1280.jpg 

 

Lens Turbo, Sigma 18-35mm, set to f2.8

tumblr_ono8yg4JRr1u2ndiwo3_r1_1280.jpg 

 

You can see that there is a quality difference between the two lenses. Anyway I am satisfied with the results, no crop in 4K is a lifesaver. And here's the shooting setup:

tumblr_ono8yg4JRr1u2ndiwo1_1280.jpg

2 spot lights on the back, 2 led panels on the front. 1 wide shot, 1 closeup + the main from the GH5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@funkyou86 

What were the other cameras+lenses?

How many GB were each interview (for how much recorded time approximately).

You have some quite big tripods there, what lights did you use?

Thanks

On the BTS picture: GH4 with vario 12-35 f2.8 (wide shot) and a Canon t3i with Sigma 18-35 (closeup), GH5 with Pentax 50mm f1.8 (A cam). There's only one heavy tripod a manfrotto 550 with 502 fluid head. I'm using it with a slider as well, so it has to carry some weight.

The 75 minutes shot from gh5 is around 50 GB, and I love the continous recording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@funkyou86

I meant the lights tripods (at the right there is one quite visible), not the camera's! and I was wondering about the LED panels, as they seem to be quite efficient (I see that there are relatively far and away from your subject). 

It must be really a challenge to match so different cameras on post.

50GB for 75minutes isn't bad at all..

Thanks for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, funkyou86 said:

I just had a 3 cam documentary shoot yesterday, here are some frame grabs from the 1080p sequence.

Shot in 4K, 8-bit, Standard picture profile, WB 6000K

 

Lens Turbo, Pentax 50mm f1.7, set to f3.5

tumblr_ono8yg4JRr1u2ndiwo2_r1_1280.jpg 

 

Lens Turbo, Sigma 18-35mm, set to f2.8

tumblr_ono8yg4JRr1u2ndiwo3_r1_1280.jpg 

 

You can see that there is a quality difference between the two lenses. Anyway I am satisfied with the results, no crop in 4K is a lifesaver. And here's the shooting setup:

tumblr_ono8yg4JRr1u2ndiwo1_1280.jpg

2 spot lights on the back, 2 led panels on the front. 1 wide shot, 1 closeup + the main from the GH5.

Looking good, thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

@funkyou86

I meant the lights tripods (at the right there is one quite visible), not the camera's! and I was wondering about the LED panels, as they seem to be quite efficient (I see that there are relatively far and away from your subject). 

It must be really a challenge to match so different cameras on post.

50GB for 75minutes isn't bad at all..

Thanks for the info.

Here are the two main lights: 

I will share the two DIY spotlights as well in that topic. They're incredible bright and awesome for lightning the background or to give some backlight.

The biggest challenge was the camera/light placement. We were shooting an oral history with elder people, in old houses where we we only had tight spaces, but this is a subject of a different topic. Let's just say, I am comfortable shooting 8 bit with gh5 for certain type of projects. I really hope that adobe will push out an update for premiere to handle 10 bit files easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

On the BTS picture: GH4 with vario 12-35 f2.8 (wide shot) and a Canon t3i with Sigma 18-35 (closeup), GH5 with Pentax 50mm f1.8 (A cam). There's only one heavy tripod a manfrotto 550 with 502 fluid head. I'm using it with a slider as well, so it has to carry some weight.

The 75 minutes shot from gh5 is around 50 GB, and I love the continous recording.

That's much better than I thought it would be...50G for 75 min is quite reasonable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...