Panasonic GH5 day zero

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

DSC00065.jpg

Time to spend some quality time with the Panasonic GH5.

The wait is over and 3 years after the GH4 we have the highly anticipated new camera. In some ways an evolution but mostly, I'm glad to say a revolution.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have been really excited about this camera but have been keeping a lot of my feelings about it to myself. I have gone so far as to downplay it in my mind until more footage is out and about.

But the specs are undeniable at this price point. I was going to do a late preorder, but if the wait is until May, I may just wait... then again this damn camera may not be in stock anywhere until the Fall. I remember the XT2 was out of stock everywhere for months and the GH5 must be in higher demand. Man can I talk myself in and out of things in mere seconds... I am effing Sybil over here with the GH5.

Obviously everybody is psyched about VLog but I would love to hear how the CineLike profiles work with the 10bit 4:22... I think there may be some mojo with CineLikeD and 10bit 4:22... if you get a chance.

I'm extremely interested in learning more about Rec709L picture profile, based on the small number of samples that have touched on it. Panny designed it specifically for video, so perhaps it is the equivalent of Canon's WideDR.

How is the colour and dynamic range in Rec709L?

How is it Europe is shipping before the US?!? 

@EOSHD_Twitter let us know how your camera (firmware 1.0?) works with the metabones xl, including with the sigma 18-35. I'm curious if they've resolved the crashes occurring while zooming, vignetting with Ibis at the wide end, and autofocus. Cheers and enjoy your new filmmaking tool, I hope to receive mine from adorama next week!

Hi Andrew,

Great to hear you got a hold of one. I am really curious how well it works with the Metabones adapter, especially with any Canon zoom lenses you might have. There were reports earlier that this was causing the camera to lock up. I'm not looking for autofocus miracles with the adapter, but I am concerned about lock-ups. Thanks and Congrats!

Alan

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, ajay said:

Hi Andrew,

Great to hear you got a hold of one. I am really curious how well it works with the Metabones adapter, especially with any Canon zoom lenses you might have. There were reports earlier that this was causing the camera to lock up. I'm not looking for autofocus miracles with the adapter, but I am concerned about lock-ups. Thanks and Congrats!

Alan

No lock-ups with the adapter yet but please wait and see. Very early days! The AF is good in stills mode with the adapter but nowhere near as good as with the Panasonic and Olympus lenses, which are lightning fast.

The anamorphic mode on the GH5 is a resolution feast... Seriously nice. I will be putting my anamorphic lenses on it, and with a 2x lens if you kept the vertical resolution as high as it comes off the card and did the de-squeeze by stretching 2x horizontally you end up with a 10K frame :)

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

No lock-ups with the adapter yet but please wait and see. Very early days! The AF is good in stills mode with the adapter but nowhere near as good as with the Panasonic and Olympus lenses, which are lightning fast.

The anamorphic mode on the GH5 is a resolution feast... Seriously nice. I will be putting my anamorphic lenses on it, and with a 2x lens if you kept the vertical resolution as high as it comes off the card and did the de-squeeze by stretching 2x horizontally you end up with a 10K frame :)

something to consider in future,  Anamorphic Glass should be next on my list after my baby arrives fingers crossed shouldn't take long 

16 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Wow... I assume you're shooting 4:3 anamorphic mode. What aspect ratio did you end up with? 2.35 or something close? Exciting times!

45 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I LOVE the fact that they're giving LUT preview in camera. I hope they give an anamorphic desqueeze preview option.

Agreed, it would be great to have anamorphic desqueeze in-camera. An external recorder/monitor usually handles this of course, and, from what I understand, the new HDR Ninja Inferno offers 4:2:2 10bit recording 4K ProRes via HDMI, for under $1K. So pairing that with a GH5 is an option I would take seriously. I hope they give one to Andrew to test.