Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

4 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

I must have been lucky with my GH4's...still very happy with the cameras...though I don't do the stress tests that you do...I'm simply more than happy with the image and what it takes to operate the camera!...Looking forward to the GH5 also!....Saw some lovely footage from you on the BMMCC though....did'nt you have to come up with a major workaround to make that camera work for you?

And for those waiting for their GH5s...some anamorphic footage shot on GH4 I just saw today!....

yeah, the BMMCC has faint vertical lines in the shadows that I figured out how to remove in post. So I just keep it as a preset and throw it on anything I shoot with it now. I wish I had been able to clean up the GH4's smudgy blocking problems but nothing I tried worked. And for me, it just became one of those things that once I was aware of it, I could see it in everything. And truthfully, I kinda enjoy the challenge of figuring out ways to fix a camera's issues in post. I've got presets to remove purple fringing, chromatic aberration from my Kowa anamorphic lens, etc. As long as I can fix it, it's not really an issue for me, you know?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

yeah, the BMMCC has faint vertical lines in the shadows that I figured out how to remove in post. So I just keep it as a preset and throw it on anything I shoot with it now. I wish I had been able to clean up the GH4's smudgy blocking problems but nothing I tried worked. And for me, it just became one of those things that once I was aware of it, I could see it in everything. And truthfully, I kinda enjoy the challenge of figuring out ways to fix a camera's issues in post. I've got presets to remove purple fringing, chromatic aberration from my Kowa anamorphic lens, etc. As long as I can fix it, it's not really an issue for me, you know?

Yes...I understand...and it's really about getting the image to a place you can live with...so it 's not a distraction, but the camera just gets out of your way so you can tell the story...for me, I guess I'm lucky that I like the image LOL...just bought the Leica 12-60...never thought I'd spend that kind of money on a Panny lens!...anyway I saw the footage you shot at the Santa Monica Airport? with the Micro...you made that footage sing!

18 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

This wasn't an issue exclusive to high ISOs. GH4 was plagued by this issue at any ISO.

That video was not representative then, once that's high ISOs domain, much noisy than a cleaner output on less sensitive realm. I haven't found much trouble from 8-bit 4:2:0 when well exposed other than banding, the truly embarrassing hassle to fit low bit rates.

6 minutes ago, AKED-M said:

@Borbarad

Here a comparison gimbal to IBIS etc. 

The warp stabiliser destroyed every shot it was used in. Not sure if it was used incorrectly but definitely not a good advert for it.

When I use optical flow in FCPX there are occasions when it just doesn't work, so I just ditch it.

All he achieved in using warp stabiliser was to distract from the title of the video.

12 hours ago, dbp said:

Warp Stabilizer is fantastic, but you really gotta be careful how you use it or it makes things worse, as you said. It's definitely not a get out of jail free card with shakey footage.

I tend to change the settings from default to make it like a 3-5% max effect.

12 hours ago, Davey said:

The warp stabiliser destroyed every shot it was used in. Not sure if it was used incorrectly but definitely not a good advert for it.

When I use optical flow in FCPX there are occasions when it just doesn't work, so I just ditch it.

All he achieved in using warp stabiliser was to distract from the title of the video.

Never in my life have I seen such awful warp stabilized footage.