Jump to content

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Phil A said:

Wow, GH5 so bad. You can see the auto focus pumping all the time in the video of the moon. Are they using face detection?

 

Just kidding :grimace:

+100 lol!...my favorite post of the day so far???

seriously though....pretty amazing clip....he posted a screenshot on flicker too...very impressive!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2017 at 4:21 PM, Michael Ma said:

I'm using Lexar 2000x cards right now on the GH5 and they work great.  I have a few of them including the 128GB and the 32GB ones.  They all work great on the GH5.  My tests say that when they are freshly formatted, the GH5 writes 100Mbytes/sec (about 800Mbits/sec).  And a fragmented nearly full card will still not dip below 70MBytes/sec (560Mbits/sec).  They do read/write much faster on a computer, but those are the speeds on my GH5.  

I read the page where a guy tested a plethora of SD cards including the Lexar 2000x cards and reported that he got 35MB/sec.  Definitely no problems like that on my side.  As a matter of fact, my 2000x Lexar's seems to outperform every card he tested according to his results.

Hi

It is very likely the new ALL-I 400Mbits/sec recording speed will require V60 cards, and will refuse to work on any other card regardless of the claimed or achieved write speeds.  V30/V60/V90 are new protocols/hardware changes, so it's not just a case of any fast enough card will trick the camera into thinking it supports a fast enough write speed, a V60 card reports to the recording device it's capabilities and handshakes, and the recording device then operates in different recording mode to guarantee write speeds.

Basically many memory cards have played a marketing game with headline write and read speeds, and for real-time recording the highest speed isn't relevant, it's the minimum write speed that decides a good recording or failed one, regardless of when the card was formatted and if it has been previously used since.

Memory cards that show V30/V60/V90 have guaranteed minimum write speeds, and this is achieved by new protocols and methods of writing to the card.  These newer V60 cards aren't due to start arriving until the summer, which is probably why Panasonic have delayed launching ALL-I.

So be careful about stocking up on memory cards until we know if cards that aren't V60 capable will be written to for ALL-I as a best effort type thing or will be blocked completely to save complaints when things go wrong. 

Regards

Phil

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guys, I have a request.

Maybe some of you are already aware of the GH5's audio problem. The camera records way to loud and even when you set the camera at the lowest input level (-12), it is at least as loud as the GH4 on level 0.

I have contacted Panasonic in my country (Netherlands) about this and they have mentioned that 'if more people contact them about this problem' that they might do something about it.

So, if everyone could go to the website of Panasonic and just send an e-mail about that you encountered this problem and cannot work like this, then hopefully they will release a firmware update which fixes this problem.

Thank you very much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am hoping someone can explain to me why the latest VLC shows so much difference between the following two Rec Formats on the GH5.

BTW, I'm on Windoze 7, 32GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.

Rec Format
 - MP4(LPCM) - super lag, artifacts, choppy, etc...
 - MOV - works no problem

VLC reports the same codec info for both types of files:

Capture.png.94c06c6ddd5f5d84a96552626b8c7741.png

Thanks!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, buggz said:

I am hoping someone can explain to me why the latest VLC shows so much difference between the following two Rec Formats on the GH5.

BTW, I'm on Windoze 7, 32GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.

Rec Format
 - MP4(LPCM) - super lag, artifacts, choppy, etc...
 - MOV - works no problem

VLC reports the same codec info for both types of files:

Thanks!

 

2.2.6 works no problem for me, a previous version was sometimes choppy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I stopped using the Lexar 1000x 128gb because I was getting the lag issues... occasionally when I pressed record it would take around 6-8s before anything would happen.  

 

Unfortunate issue as they are the most affordable UHS-II cards and work great in my other cams.  Panasonic and Lexar not friends... Using Sandisk UHS-I now, same price as Lexar but 1/2 the read speed when offloading to computer :(  Sigh.  

 

Are you sure the 2000x has no problems?  The lag issue happens sporadically so it's hard to pin down.  It's also kinda laggy in general when stopping recording.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2017 at 4:14 PM, Stab said:

Guys, I have a request.

Maybe some of you are already aware of the GH5's audio problem. The camera records way to loud and even when you set the camera at the lowest input level (-12), it is at least as loud as the GH4 on level 0.

I have contacted Panasonic in my country (Netherlands) about this and they have mentioned that 'if more people contact them about this problem' that they might do something about it.

So, if everyone could go to the website of Panasonic and just send an e-mail about that you encountered this problem and cannot work like this, then hopefully they will release a firmware update which fixes this problem.

Thank you very much!

How about when you reduce levels on the microphone or mixer by -10 dB or -20 dB? Is this something to be concerned about?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, buggz said:

I am hoping someone can explain to me why the latest VLC shows so much difference between the following two Rec Formats on the GH5.

BTW, I'm on Windoze 7, 32GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.

Rec Format
 - MP4(LPCM) - super lag, artifacts, choppy, etc...
 - MOV - works no problem

VLC reports the same codec info for both types of files:

Capture.png.94c06c6ddd5f5d84a96552626b8c7741.png

Thanks!

 

So much for that, MOV has issues also with VLC in this settings on my PC, hmm, guess I need to lower the settings?  Don't really want to that.

Or build yet another PC, sigh...

I was giving my niece's choral director the 4K files from my GH4, explaining that the intent is to edit/transcode to 1080P.  But now I will be forced to perform transcoding to give him the videos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2017 at 2:26 AM, philipd said:

Hi

It is very likely the new ALL-I 400Mbits/sec recording speed will require V60 cards, and will refuse to work on any other card regardless of the claimed or achieved write speeds.  V30/V60/V90 are new protocols/hardware changes, so it's not just a case of any fast enough card will trick the camera into thinking it supports a fast enough write speed, a V60 card reports to the recording device it's capabilities and handshakes, and the recording device then operates in different recording mode to guarantee write speeds.

Basically many memory cards have played a marketing game with headline write and read speeds, and for real-time recording the highest speed isn't relevant, it's the minimum write speed that decides a good recording or failed one, regardless of when the card was formatted and if it has been previously used since.

Memory cards that show V30/V60/V90 have guaranteed minimum write speeds, and this is achieved by new protocols and methods of writing to the card.  These newer V60 cards aren't due to start arriving until the summer, which is probably why Panasonic have delayed launching ALL-I.

So be careful about stocking up on memory cards until we know if cards that aren't V60 capable will be written to for ALL-I as a best effort type thing or will be blocked completely to save complaints when things go wrong. 

Regards

Phil

3

From my observation, Panasonic doesn't have much to gain by putting arbitrary limitations on SD cards, and since it seems like they are on the side of the customer, I'm hopeful these will work fine when the 400mb/s update hits.  I'm not saying people all should run out and buy the Lexar 2000x cards.  But I do firmly believe Lexar, a subsidiary of Micron, is a better brand than a brand like Delkin, who seems to be the only manufacturer selling v90 cards at the moment, who is not even a part of the SD Association.  I'm posting information for people who already have the 2000x cards who've ordered a GH5, pre-buying other slower cards just because someone has said they don't work.  I'm just saying not only do they work, but they work well, so they can save their money buying slower cards for the GH5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...