EOSHD Pro Color for Panasonic (GH4, GX85, G85 + more)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi all, just signed up after grabbing the EOSHD Pro Color for my GX80.

First of all thanks to Andrew for working it out, after a few tests I'm completely hooked to the color profile. Skin tones are now very very pleasant.

Anyway, I discovered a small issue while testing the LUT out with DaVinci Resolve. I was tryin' to clean up my workflow and transcode to ProRes422 right after archiving in FCPX. I transcoded a clip with EditReady burning the LUT in and imported in DaVinci. Comparing the ProRes422 from EditReady with the LUT applied while transcoding to a simple ProRes422 with LUT applied by DaVinci, there was quite a bit of difference at both extreme of the dynamic range. In fact extreme highlights and deep shadows get clipped while transcoding and applying the LUT with EditReady. Transcoding to ProRes and then applyin the LUT in Davinci on the other hand works better.

Just wanted to share this small info in case anyone needs it.

On 30/12/2016 at 0:20 AM, Mat Mayer said:

Looking forward to trying it out with frost soon. I know this is a silly place to ask but I was told on here recently that putting my computer out in the cold would ruin it because of condensation. Is that the same with non weatherproof cameras like the G7? (and non weatherproof lenses)? If so is there anything we can do, like leave the camera in the garage overnight?

I killed my MacBook Pro a couple weeks ago because of this. It was already dyin' due to other issues (graphic cards switching) and it was past it's due date (2010 model). Went out shooting for a couple days at about 0C, second day we wrapped up shooting, went for glass of wine at friend's house, I took the Mac out to download the footage and it was soaking wet. Keyboard gone, touchpad acted crazy. Luckily I had installed SSDs in there so the data was all recoverable, don't wanna know what could have happened if there were old spinning drives in it.

just bought the pro color LUT. What are the advantages of using 16-255 over 0-255 ? I am confused as to why 16-255 is the chosen luma range for this LUT. Is the 16-255 luma range used for the same reason technicolor cinestyle on Canon camera uses it for better compression ?

Hi @Andrew Reid, i bought your Procolor package and I cant reproduce the great results other people got (yet) - so maybe I am doing something wrong. Could you help me out?

This shot is with your recommended settings, OOC:

std 0505 org.jpg

And this is after I applied your LUT:

std 0505 procolor.jpg

Obviously color is subjective, but I dont really like it. So i started tweaking it - I made the white table in the left down corner white again and I dialed down saturation. The result is much better, but if one watches the blown out highlights in the window it becomes apparent, that they are even more blown out now:

std 0505 procolor tweaked.jpg

Did I maybe just overread something?

The GX85 has no luminance level setting (if I am not mistaken) and I am using FCPX.

20 hours ago, jase said:

Hi @Andrew Reid, i bought your Procolor package and I cant reproduce the great results other people got (yet) - so maybe I am doing something wrong. Could you help me out?

This shot is with your recommended settings, OOC:

std 0505 org.jpg

And this is after I applied your LUT:

std 0505 procolor.jpg

Obviously color is subjective, but I dont really like it. So i started tweaking it - I made the white table in the left down corner white again and I dialed down saturation. The result is much better, but if one watches the blown out highlights in the window it becomes apparent, that they are even more blown out now:

std 0505 procolor tweaked.jpg

Did I maybe just overread something?

The GX85 has no luminance level setting (if I am not mistaken) and I am using FCPX.

I like the end result with the tweaks! I was bored and took the original file and ran it through my workflow to see what it would look like. Using the Pro Color with it as well. All a matter of taste. I use the GX85 as well. Cheers!
586bec04249f2_std0505org.thumb.jpg.326789be14df7b8c2ee3a9cfb6b47c24.00_00_03_27.Still001.jpg

38 minutes ago, Mackeral_Fillet said:

How are folks getting on with this profile? Any more examples of it in action? Still searching for a set and forget profile to use and noticed this has quite a magenta tone to it. 

I'm still testing it out in a variety of situations/settings and still like it. Sometimes it's way too warm/reddish for my tastes but I'm finding that it all depends on how you expose the image. I've now dialed in sort of a custom white balance on my GX85. Both with AWB or with a proper custom white balance I have A1 M1 dialed in. Seems to work better and the RGB parade confirms.

7 hours ago, Mackeral_Fillet said:

How are folks getting on with this profile? Any more examples of it in action? Still searching for a set and forget profile to use and noticed this has quite a magenta tone to it. 

I gave up. It is so reddish it is unusable. Gone back to the Leeming LUT One that nails the skin tones. 

4 hours ago, jase said:

Would you care to share some examples in the corresponding thread?

Not sure what thread you mean. There are already lots of posts here that show the huge red shift from the Pro Color LUT. Try it yourself, shoot a X-rite color checker and view it on the vector scope.  As for the Leeming LUT, there are many many samples of it out there. The Leeming LUT corrects the GH4 color rather than shift it to match another color profile. 

After a few more tests yesterday I can safely say that even if it looks way too reddish at first sight, i wouldn't pass up too quickly on it. I finally managed to find a proper correction for the GX85 white balance. A1 M1 works for me. On top of that I'm finding useful to underexpose a bit, working with zebras at 70% and exposing for faces details instead of zebras at 100% and trying to preserve highlights. If you just expose ETTR you almost always clip the red channel which turn faces and skin into a bit of a mush. My 2 cents. 

PS: I'm also dialing down the LUT mix to about 80%. 

21 hours ago, imagiNet said:

I gave up. It is so reddish it is unusable. Gone back to the Leeming LUT One that nails the skin tones. 

Same here. Skins look nice but for me too much red in everything else. Tried Leeming LUT for the Panasonic and like it better because it does not create that strong tint.