EOSHD Pro Color for Panasonic (GH4, GX85, G85 + more)

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

eoshd-pro-color-logo-susanna-1024x552.jp

Read more about it!

http://www.eoshd.com/2016/12/now-available-eoshd-pro-color-for-panasonic-cameras-gh4-gx85-g85-and-more/

It’s time to remove that harsh, clinical digital edge from Panasonic’s in-camera colour and white balance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is great... I was hoping you were working on something for Panasonic shooters.  Do you know if the LUT portion of this process will work with the VisionColor LUT loader for Sony Vegas?  http://www.vision-color.com/lutplugin/

"OFX compatible LUT loader for Sony Vegas by VisionColor.  Highly accurate interpolation and multiple file format support for 3D and 1D Lookup Table."

Apparently Vegas still doesn't natively support LUTs.  Thanks.

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, MaxAperture Films said:

This is great... I was hoping you were working on something for Panasonic shooters.  Do you know if the LUT portion of this process will work with the VisionColor LUT loader for Sony Vegas?  http://www.vision-color.com/lutplugin/

"OFX compatible LUT loader for Sony Vegas by VisionColor.  Highly accurate interpolation and multiple file format support for 3D and 1D Lookup Table."

Apparently Vegas still doesn't natively support LUTs.  Thanks.

Yes it will work with Vegas and the plugin.

Same for FCPX and the LUT loader

38 minutes ago, KnowsNothing said:

It certainly looks better, but to my unrefined eyes there's almost a rose-tinted effect going on.

It's a matter of taste. You have full control over the tone after applying the LUT.

50 minutes ago, Taranis said:

Good work, it looks nice! There is just one exception, the 0:40 example, it's way to red for my taste, and the pink in the candle is a bit unnatural.

That was the only shot that I would have adjusted afterwards - the rest were very impressive and look nothing like the usual waxy Panasonic colours.

• Administrators

Sample video

57 minutes ago, Taranis said:

Good work, it looks nice! There is just one exception, the 0:40 example, it's way to red for my taste, and the pink in the candle is a bit unnatural.

Shot at 0:40 is the standard Panasonic colour without EOSHD Pro Color though...

Do you mean the later shots (1D X Mark II and G85 with Pro Color?)

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sample video

Looking at it again, the fixed Panny colour looks better than the 1DX MK2 colour.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sorry I meant the whole example starting around 0:40. Watching it again the Pro Color candle does not have the pink of the 1DX MK2, so I actually prefer the Pro Color over that. It's just that overall redness that I find a bit too much.

Andrew, 

Just to say as a rank and file amateur, just applied to GH3 footing that had been shot in neutral, contrast -3, saturation -5 and nr -3, so not your recommended settings. This was a dec late afternoon shot, so sunset ambience. And here we are, sunset light as warm as it was on sunday. Your tweak is a cool one. A bit convoluted to use on FCPX but that works and so much easier than using the color wheel.. Thanks! 

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, Taranis said:

Sorry I meant the whole example starting around 0:40. Watching it again the Pro Color candle does not have the pink of the 1DX MK2, so I actually prefer the Pro Color over that. It's just that overall redness that I find a bit too much.

I did warm up the colour a bit, as it benefits skin tones.

The example you're seeing though - Fire light is red! It's warm and it's how it looked to the eye. That's just the way the scene is. So it remains realistic. Just more pleasing to the eye than the usual yellow, zombie, horror film look of Sony and Panasonic. Unless that is what you want ;) and you are shooting horror :)

2 minutes ago, Patrick Dumont said:

Andrew, 

Just to say as a rank and file amateur, just applied to GH3 footing that had been shot in neutral, contrast -3, saturation -5 and nr -3 -2 and -4, so not your recommend settings. This was a dec late afternoon shot, so sunset ambience. And here we are, sunset light as warm as it was on sunday. Your tweak is a cool one. A bit convoluted to use on FCPX but that works and so much easier than using the color wheel.. Thanks! 

I plan to update the instructions for FCPX giving more details for people using a LUT for the first time.

Plugin works well I think.

Just bought it, I've been trying it out with some downloaded videos and works great, indeed seems to have a rose-tinted effect that is evident the first time you try it but after a few seconds you forget and the difference with the original footage is amazing. I still don't understand how it can achieve more DR but it certainly does, and to my eyes the footage seems to have a more organic sort of "3d" effect. Very happy with the purchase. Thanks Andrew!

• Administrators

Like the Sony version of EOSHD Pro Color it is mainly designed to be used to fix colour straight out of the camera, on new material

But as a bonus you can apply it to old material and it should fix the issues with that as well - but I don't offer guarantees of compatibility with absolutely all footage shot on an infinite array of different settings - that would be impossible, for example you could have the CineLikeV on +5 contrast or something crazy like that and it wouldn't give the same dynamic range as with the optimal settings in the guide, as the image data would just not be there in the first place.

With EOSHD Pro Color you set the camera to the Standard photo style, leave contrast in the middle, leave white balance on automatic, then the LUT applies EOSHD Pro Color to the material in post the same with every shot and scene - no matter what the lighting is like. The usual suspects like CineLike-D don't look as good. Test it and you will see. Also dialling down the contrast too much in-camera doesn't work as well on Panasonic cameras as it does on Sony's, for a 'wide dynamic range'. It hurts the tonality of the image and reduces the amount of colour information on Lumix cameras. Unlike Sony's cameras there aren't enough advanced picture controls, colour modes and gamma modes on Panasonic's consumer cameras to dial in the EOSHD Pro Color look in-camera, so the LUT takes on the responsibility instead. This has the advantage that you can dial the look into existing footage, within reason, and it is literally just a few clicks in your edit. No messing.

The EOSHD Pro Color LUT brings out so much shadow detail from the Standard profile, recovers the crushed blacks, recovers the clipped highlights - they are still there in the codec but for whatever reason aren't there when you view the files in your NLE or media player!! This fixes that and applies the new colour science which resembles the look of a Canon camera. The LUT also pays special attention to skin tones in particular, to get people looking more realistic and less dead.

Existing footage - If you have old shoots and you want to re-grade, you can indeed try applying EOSHD Pro Color to these clips in your NLE. But you will need to tweak the basics - contrast, saturation, temperature, tint and exposure in your NLE until you're happy with the look. See the LX100 shot in the example video for how well this can work. This shot was before EOSHD Pro Color existed. It wasn't using the Standard photo style, instead I think it was Natural -5 contrast before I knew better!

2 hours ago, roxics said:

Out of curiosity, in your sample video were you using Panasonic lenses or Canon adapted lenses?

Both.

Just ordered! To go with my still-in-transit GX85. Opted for that over the G80 as it will become a B-camera to the GH5 and I wanted something TINY and unassuming. Very excited since the GX85 doesn't have CineD or CineV or V-Log L to use - this is a very very lovely profile and will easily grade into my style of final image. Thanks so much for this work, I was really hoping you'd come up with something like this - and to have it referenced against the 1DC is perfect.