Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Canon 1D X Mark II review part 1 - why superior colour means it's game over for my Sony A7S II

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, VanWeddings said:

Since there's an example of the 1DX II skin tone in a wedding video, here's one with no Canon cameras. Just Sony and Panasonic.

 

 

really well done and probably as good of skin tones as I've seen on sony.

 

It's just a very different look, not even something that I can put my finger on. When I watch a wedding shot on Canon I feel like I'm watching wedding, on Sony, a wedding video

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still hoping on seeing a proper 1DC mkii. Are there any rumors of this happening? Have we categorically heard from Canon that the 1DX II is the upgrade to the 1DC? Canon has new Cinema upgrades that would be nice to add to a 1DC II like Canon Log 3 gamma and Wide DR picture profile. I use old manual lenses on my 1DC so autofocus isn't a huge deal to me but is a nice thought for VLogs and steadicam/ gimbal use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

I'm still hoping on seeing a proper 1DC mkii. Are there any rumors of this happening? Have we categorically heard from Canon that the 1DX II is the upgrade to the 1DC? Canon has new Cinema upgrades that would be nice to add to a 1DC II like Canon Log 3 gamma and Wide DR picture profile. I use old manual lenses on my 1DC so autofocus isn't a huge deal to me but is a nice thought for VLogs and steadicam/ gimbal use. 

What 1DC/manual lense combos have you found work best for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2016 at 3:11 AM, VanWeddings said:

Since there's an example of the 1DX II skin tone in a wedding video, here's one with no Canon cameras. Just Sony and Panasonic.

 

Your work is good, but I really don`t like at all the orange skintones, it is just a personal taste, probably people not involved in cinematography can not see it at all, and that`s OK, at the end I guess is a personal preferences after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

Your work is good, but I really don`t like at all the orange skintones, it is just a personal taste, probably people not involved in cinematography can not see it at all, and that`s OK, at the end I guess is a personal preferences after all.

Same here dude. Believe me I tried but the musician wanted the grade to look like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I'm still hoping on seeing a proper 1DC mkii. Are there any rumors of this happening? Have we categorically heard from Canon that the 1DX II is the upgrade to the 1DC? Canon has new Cinema upgrades that would be nice to add to a 1DC II like Canon Log 3 gamma and Wide DR picture profile. I use old manual lenses on my 1DC so autofocus isn't a huge deal to me but is a nice thought for VLogs and steadicam/ gimbal use. 

 

Nice work Dave. Whats interesting is Canon already has designed the perfect 1DC mkii sensor, the 12mp full frame from the orginal 5D.  I'd love that in a 1DCII, full frame 4k with everything else you mentioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Matthew19 said:

Nice work Dave. Whats interesting is Canon already has designed the perfect 1DC mkii sensor, the 12mp full frame from the orginal 5D.  I'd love that in a 1DCII, full frame 4k with everything else you mentioned. 

There is more to sensor design than just mpx count. Readout speed and noise get improved by hardware changes and not exclusively by better processing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

There is more to sensor design than just mpx count. Readout speed and noise get improved by hardware changes and not exclusively by better processing.

Right, I'm sure it's far more complicated than just mpx, but all else being equal to the 1dc mkI, that sensor would be the perfect size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Christina Ava said:

Sony A7S II = and nothing of value was lost , im the minority here that really dislikes the video coming from sony..of course the 1dx m2 is awesome..

 

 

I think most here don't like the a7s for anything other than it's sharpness. Every other group that I know of loves it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preference for either the Sony or Canon's color science is subjective. The A7SII's advantages in low light and the 1DX II's autofocus are not. Each has its pros and cons, leaving it up to the project to determine either's suitability. Both are great cameras. I'd be leery of putting too much of an emphasis on the out-of-box image for either camera. Too many factors play a role in the final image. Neither camera is going to make your movie for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet in spite of all the negatives against canon that would clearly be a deal breaker on other camera manufacturers to not include, Canon cameras continue to prove they are workhorses that produce very pleasing results. Kinda like the new MacBook Pros :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dbp said:

The only ones in the low end that seem to rival Canon with color is Blackmagic.

Although I recently edited stuff from the Nikon D750 and I was definitely pleased with that stuff, color wise.

Yeah Blackmagic gets closest at the price range, but Canon still edges out. Especially when you have codec parity - with ML RAW 5D2/3 color beats the daylights out of the BMCC. Way better tonality and color separation - which you can pull out of the BMCC footage as well, but with Canon you have them out of the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ehetyz said:

Yeah Blackmagic gets closest at the price range, but Canon still edges out. Especially when you have codec parity - with ML RAW 5D2/3 color beats the daylights out of the BMCC. Way better tonality and color separation - which you can pull out of the BMCC footage as well, but with Canon you have them out of the box.

No doubt, 5D raw is still some of the nicest looking stuff I've seen from any camera. Never ceases to blow me away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...