DJI just slaughtered GoPro with Mavic

Dave Maze

3 hours ago, JazzBox said:

To me it is pretty good! The shot on the roof shows that moire is not too severe... so it is already a good point in my opinion.
Two days ago I shot a music video and there was also an operator with his Phantom 3 Pro, it seems more "digital" to me from the shots I have from it.

Mio caro, exactly my POV! We both share the same cinematic perspective on motion pictures, let it alone the aerial footage. Unfortunately, people are too uneducated with their small displays. We live in a sad age where artifacts are the king. Sawtooth borders (when not aliasing) are taken for sharp content... What else can we say? *Phew*

To me, this is the first small drone to focus my attention on it. For the same reasons you mention.

Still from the European press presentation in Lisbon (I know very well those locations and how curious is to me to see them to be shot like that with so tiny capture device -- DJI should/could/can slash the GoPro business with that toy/cam beyond the drone industry) take a look from 3:48 minute on:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow. This is a killer.   

It is legit :-) Here are other links with interesting and useful info on topic: http://www.shainblumphoto.com/2016/09/30/dji-mavic-vs-phantom-4-dng/ http://visual-aerials.com/mavicpro.h

Posted Images

It's not so much sharpness/contrast as it is actual details and most importantly color... as said before, that top down mode looks real good, everything in one plane. Once you start to add depth, things just seem to get messy and that doesn't just have to do with the new lens and AF. And colors are just weird to me. I'd say footage shot with the Phantom 4/Inspire 1+X5/X5R(OSMO) and probably GoPro Karma, might look a little more hyperrealstic/picture perfect and nicer. To me. So of course it's subjective whether you like that kinda thing or not... you might call it 'digital' or whatever. Also, you saw there that it's not quite as smooth as they as well mentioned separately. I mean. Hands down awesome small camera, no doubt. But not sure about praising sub-par image quality in order to justify buying one. :grin: But then again 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is what they say...

X5/X5R are another league... Let's not mix up apples to oranges ;-) Phantom 4 or Karma have nothing to do with. The reception theory ; ) can fit but people are still stuck on the wrong variables, obsessed with definition when this doesn't necessarily mean better IQ, on the contrary, more often than we could aspire to.

On 9/10/2016 at 11:28 AM, Emanuel said:

Actually this is the best footage i have seen so far from the mavic pro. These images have the right amount of sharpness to my eyes. Also in the statue shot we can finally see the advantage of bigger focal length / shallower depth of field, as selective focus is not an option for a P4 owner. This is an example of how an experienced user can show the true potential of a product.

24 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

Actually this is the best footage i have seen so far from the mavic pro. These images have the right amount of sharpness to my eyes. Also in the statue shot we can finally see the advantage of bigger focal length / shallower depth of field, as selective focus is not an option for a P4 owner. This is an example of how an experienced user can show the true potential of a product.

Yes, indeed.

One of the lighthouse shots (at 1:14) is pretty representative of such feature. Actually, the add-on is evident for that particular shot, comparing to the previous ones immediately before. Finer narrative tool.

Look at those colors, look at the stuff in the distance:

Of course, it's a class of difference. But that just hits the spot with me. That resonates. But even Phantom 4 footage does.

Casey Neistat. He started using his Phantom again, after having lost his Mavic Pro... (:lol: Casey, Casey, Casey...) I found the footage instantly much better. I've talked about it before... the stability, the color, the rendering of objects further than the plane of the subject. It looks off to me on the Mavic.

6 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Look at those colors, look at the stuff in the distance:

Of course, it's a class of difference. But that just hits the spot with me. That resonates. But even Phantom 4 footage does.

Casey Neistat. He started using his Phantom again, after having lost his Mavic Pro... (:lol: Casey, Casey, Casey...) I found the footage instantly much better. I've talked about it before... the stability, the color, the rendering of objects further than the plane of the subject. It looks off to me on the Mavic.

How is this 4k@60p?

You know what. I actually liked the Phantom when you'd just hook up a GoPro.

* note how relatively ancient these video are... already an awesome job back then. I guess we just have the prizes, compact size and level of automization now, but for me the Mavic's image is a step back

Not much wrong with the Phantom 4 either though, like in all previous non-Mavic Casey vlogs, or e.g.:

I love the BMPCC look. It's very low-fi S16 filmic sorta speak.

But I don't like mushy aerial shots. It just doesn't feel right. There's nothing filmic about it to me. It's like lowres spycam footage with ugly color. :grin: Just makes me want to puke almost. But izallgud. To each their own. I guess it's the other way around as well.