DJI just slaughtered GoPro with Mavic

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 9/10/2016 at 11:28 AM, Emanuel said:

Actually this is the best footage i have seen so far from the mavic pro. These images have the right amount of sharpness to my eyes. Also in the statue shot we can finally see the advantage of bigger focal length / shallower depth of field, as selective focus is not an option for a P4 owner. This is an example of how an experienced user can show the true potential of a product.

24 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

Actually this is the best footage i have seen so far from the mavic pro. These images have the right amount of sharpness to my eyes. Also in the statue shot we can finally see the advantage of bigger focal length / shallower depth of field, as selective focus is not an option for a P4 owner. This is an example of how an experienced user can show the true potential of a product.

Yes, indeed.

One of the lighthouse shots (at 1:14) is pretty representative of such feature. Actually, the add-on is evident for that particular shot, comparing to the previous ones immediately before. Finer narrative tool.

Look at those colors, look at the stuff in the distance:

Of course, it's a class of difference. But that just hits the spot with me. That resonates. But even Phantom 4 footage does.

Casey Neistat. He started using his Phantom again, after having lost his Mavic Pro... (:lol: Casey, Casey, Casey...) I found the footage instantly much better. I've talked about it before... the stability, the color, the rendering of objects further than the plane of the subject. It looks off to me on the Mavic.

6 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Look at those colors, look at the stuff in the distance:

Of course, it's a class of difference. But that just hits the spot with me. That resonates. But even Phantom 4 footage does.

Casey Neistat. He started using his Phantom again, after having lost his Mavic Pro... (:lol: Casey, Casey, Casey...) I found the footage instantly much better. I've talked about it before... the stability, the color, the rendering of objects further than the plane of the subject. It looks off to me on the Mavic.

How is this 4k@60p?

Just now, DBounce said:

How is this 4k@60p?

It's 4K30 twixtored to 60p.

3 minutes ago, nffclml2ppl said:

Nope. Very videoy. Mavic looks like film instead.

Really think so, huh? Well. I'm with Luke on this one! The 4K high detailed and 60p are terrific on aerial stuff! :scream:

You know what. I actually liked the Phantom when you'd just hook up a GoPro.

* note how relatively ancient these video are... already an awesome job back then. I guess we just have the prizes, compact size and level of automization now, but for me the Mavic's image is a step back

Not much wrong with the Phantom 4 either though, like in all previous non-Mavic Casey vlogs, or e.g.:

I love the BMPCC look. It's very low-fi S16 filmic sorta speak.

But I don't like mushy aerial shots. It just doesn't feel right. There's nothing filmic about it to me. It's like lowres spycam footage with ugly color. :grin: Just makes me want to puke almost. But izallgud. To each their own. I guess it's the other way around as well.

2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

footage with ugly color. :grin:

That makes no sense. There's D-Log.

At the end, there's no ugly color these days anymore.

1 hour ago, nffclml2ppl said:

you must take those terrible sharp edges for terrific hehe

Nature landscape, no problem. Building edges are terrible though.

13 hours ago, Cinegain said:

You know what. I actually liked the Phantom when you'd just hook up a GoPro.

* note how relatively ancient these video are... already an awesome job back then. I guess we just have the prizes, compact size and level of automization now, but for me the Mavic's image is a step back

Not much wrong with the Phantom 4 either though, like in all previous non-Mavic Casey vlogs, or e.g.:

The Gopro and Phantom 4 look better to my eyes too.