Jump to content

Canon 1DX Mkii vs Sony A7Rii


DBounce
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well the question has been burning so I figured I would run some quick test to highlight the differences between these two heavy weights when it comes to video. The two frames below are taken from 4k video captured under that same conditions, using the same lens, ISO, White Balance, Frame rate. Everything is the same on both cameras. Lighting set to 3700k in both cases with some practical lighting filling in. Nothing has been color graded/corrected. Images are direct frame grabs.

About the videos: the Canon is capable of very cinematic footage at 24 fps. The Sony tends to feel more like video, but has very good quality for a camera of such a small size. Color science is very different between the two. The Canon's batteries last a long time. I will not speak of focus as the Sony will be a a disadvantage in this particular test as it is running as Canon lens. While native glass will fare better, the Canon has a decisive edge in the focus pulling department. 

In short, great results can be had from either camera, however the Canon will make getting those result feel less like work.

 

Canon_1DXMkii_4k_24p_iso640_wb3700kF28.jpg

SonyA7Rii_4k_24p_iso640_wb3700kF28.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a quick edit from the sample footage Bleach Bypass and Vignette -.1 on both. All footage is being pushed with the same effects to the same degree. 

 

Canon1DXMkiiVsA7Rii.mp4

1 hour ago, Bùi Bách Việt said:

Colors look terrible on the Sony. Did you custom balance for white on both cameras? Also, what profiles were used?

Both the Sony and Canon were set to the color temperature of the Aputure Light Storm LS 1c. Everything was kept even. No special consideration given to either camera. The idea was to see what they could do all things being equal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure exactly why the Sony's image broke down after applying the vignette. It was certainly unexpected. But one thing is certain, when applying grades or effects you are dealing with a much less robust file from the Sony camera. Mind you I did mess around with some footage from the Kinefinity, and that held up well to everything I threw at it. Even presets that I would never usually dream of using. But of the two in this comparison, I'm quite pleased with the Canon. Now if they could resolve the poor HD quality it would add serious value. 

I think the Sony is best used by getting the image as close to the finished product as possible in camera, and keeping external grading to a minimum. It is capable of some sharp images, but manual focus pulling with more forgiving depth of field is your best option for moving subjects. Normally I use manual cine lenses on the A7Rii. However, with the Canon I have been favoring AF lenses, as it seems good enough at holding focus so that this has become a viable option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, bunk said:

Still a slight difference ...with some more effort I could get them probably closer. Sony keeps up just fine but I admit the footage is very thin.A7RII_grade.jpg

1DXmkII_grade.jpg

I'll agree with some effort and careful grading you can get them reasonably close. I guess my point is that many were stating that the A7Rii/Sii were superior in various aspects. In practice I am simply not seeing this to be true. Of the two cameras the 1DX Mkii is in a different league than the Sonys. It is more reasonable image wise to compare this camera to the FS7, but of course the two are completely different animals. One being a dedicated Video camera, the other a hybrid. There are benefits of having built in NDs, XLRs, etc... For my purpose I wanted something more discreet. I can take the 1DX Mkii anywhere and no one bats an eye. However you will need permits and planning with the FS7. But they are both great cameras.

The next camera on my radar is the Terra 6k and 5k, but I will need to see more footage. And honestly, I would prefer to buy it locally from one of the well established retailers... with are reasonable return policy, just  in case it doesn't live up to expectations. The 1DX Mkii is rugged, and that combined with great image quality earn it a long-term place in my kit. Not sure what I will do with the Sony now? It's not an ideal B-cam to the Canon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously your A7R has a problem or you dont know how to set up a camera to get such an ugly result out of the camera. Missleading info here. 
Set up a proper PP on the A7R (once) and you will get something more acceptable. The 1Dx has way better AF for sure and better IQ which is to be expected from a camera at twice the price and with this bitrate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, DBounce said:

They don't... The Canon is in a whole other class. Even in low-light where most cameras will struggle, the 1DX Mkii finds focus. It really is... and I mean this... a game changer.

How about file size? I've read the 1DXii files are gigantic, particularly the 4k 60p (10 seconds = 1 gig). Are these cameras in the same category? Not sure, one is more than twice the price of the other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2016年5月10日 at 7:06 AM, DBounce said:

They don't... The Canon is in a whole other class. Even in low-light where most cameras will struggle, the 1DX Mkii finds focus. It really is... and I mean this... a game changer.

How it become a no game changer. without peaking\ log\tilting LCD\4K output ect.?

And it still using old codec even with dual processors in it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could anybody who has 1dxII share couple seconds original file straight from the card (dropbox or something) -
 some high DOF with details like out-of-the-window view:

-1080p h264 24 or 25 fps

- the same view 1080p 120fps

-the same view 4k dci 25fps

The camera is couple of days here and we still lack original files for download, only YT/vimeo compressed samples.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gelaxstudio said:

How it become a no game changer. without peaking\ log\tilting LCD\4K output ect.?

And it still using old codec even with dual processors in it

Personally, I don't miss focus peaking when a camera can lock on to focus as well as the 1DX Mkii. I would have taken log, but I will use technicolor cinestyle and Marvel and be pretty close. That's not to say Canon should have left it out, because at this price point it should definitely be included. As for codec, it would be nice if it were more efficient, however, it is a high quality codec and the end results look great. 

Perhaps I'm missing something? Is there another weather-sealed super tough camera with great battery life, 60p 4k that can also shoot 14-16fps stills, with best in class AF that I am unaware of?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I am testing technicolour cinestyle on the 1DC and it's not ''great''. It doesn't give more dynamic range, just redistributes the tones to a very flat LOG like curve. Compared to C-log C-log increases highlight retention. My conclusion for the 1DXII is that if i have a log workflow and apply dekogging curves for my work and use luts designed for log, then cinestyle works really really well there. But for manual grading, the best profile in terms of giving the classic Canon colour science is Faithful with everything turned down (yes even saturation to minimum, I tried, on the 1dc anyway), this image gives a very pleasing image that you don't need to grade much unless you want some tweaks of contrast or saturation. It's better than Neutral which has a slight yellow/green tint compared to faithful. That's for everything, except for female shots that are oriented towards glamour/beauty, it truly does an internal grade that's extremely hard to replicate in post. It specifies the skin area on the waveform and lifts exposure ever so slighty on that region to give a glowing face, as well as adjust the reds individually to hide red pimples/papules on the  face features, both of these are working like a charm on my 1dc and the 1dxii didn't have a change in picture stylexso will work the same way. 

A final note on the subject that might disappoint you, is that in the Canon log profile, the camera gives a markedly more filmic image due to the absolute lack of digital sharpening and DR. It destroys ever small bit of digital look present in the other profiles. This profile might sway me to keep the 1dc simply because of the slightly more filmic/organic image, but i sill haven't tried it ir graded native files from the 1dxii. Giving up the new features like 60p, DPAF with touchscreen, 14fps with mirror, higher end stills sensor with high DR, better ISO performance, etc. 
Tough call. Mightt go fir the image and put features as a secondary priority. Don't know. Hard decision. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

I am testing technicolour cinestyle on the 1DC and it's not ''great''. It doesn't give more dynamic range, just redistributes the tones to a very flat LOG like curve. Compared to C-log C-log increases highlight retention. My conclusion for the 1DXII is that if i have a log workflow and apply dekogging curves for my work and use luts designed for log, then cinestyle works really really well there. But for manual grading, the best profile in terms of giving the classic Canon colour science is Faithful with everything turned down (yes even saturation to minimum, I tried, on the 1dc anyway), this image gives a very pleasing image that you don't need to grade much unless you want some tweaks of contrast or saturation. It's better than Neutral which has a slight yellow/green tint compared to faithful. That's for everything, except for female shots that are oriented towards glamour/beauty, it truly does an internal grade that's extremely hard to replicate in post. It specifies the skin area on the waveform and lifts exposure ever so slighty on that region to give a glowing face, as well as adjust the reds individually to hide red pimples/papules on the  face features, both of these are working like a charm on my 1dc and the 1dxii didn't have a change in picture stylexso will work the same way. 

A final note on the subject that might disappoint you, is that in the Canon log profile, the camera gives a markedly more filmic image due to the absolute lack of digital sharpening and DR. It destroys ever small bit of digital look present in the other profiles. This profile might sway me to keep the 1dc simply because of the slightly more filmic/organic image, but i sill haven't tried it ir graded native files from the 1dxii. Giving up the new features like 60p, DPAF with touchscreen, 14fps with mirror, higher end stills sensor with high DR, better ISO performance, etc. 
Tough call. Mightt go fir the image and put features as a secondary priority. Don't know. Hard decision. 
 

I have to agree with everyone who has stated that Canon should have included C-Log on this camera (Canon, you need to hear your customers on this one). But nonetheless, I also have to confess that in spite of this, the 1DX Mkii is the best hybrid to date. And a much more compelling video camera than any other hybrid to date. While a case could certainly be made for a dedicated video camera like the FS7... as the price is pretty close, the fact remains there are places you can take a hybrid that you simply would not be allowed to take a dedicated video camera. Also it is weather-sealed, and in the real world that is important. I can easily carry the 1DX Mkii on a plane, and still have 60p, in a tank like body... that is reliable, works in less than ideal lighting, and I don't need a focus puller... even with a low f-stop. Nothing else on the market can make these claims. Not Blackmagic, not Red, Not Kinefinity, not Sony... Frankly not anyone. So if you want an on the go, rock solid reliable, weather-sealed, pro-level unit with 4k 60p this is the only option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...