Canon 1D X Mark II high ISO and colour performance worse than predecessor

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
50 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I think the 4K 60p on the 1DXii gives alot of hope for 4K 30p on the 5Div... It is a nice, clear product separator

Without c-log though, i'll likely buy neither, unless ML can get something going.

Speaking of ML... have you been there lately?

Nothing new is really happening (well... I'm exaggerating a little bit here), but... really... they aren't touching any of the newer models...

Here is a quote from one of their hero members, "Dev team made it pretty clear that as long there are unmaintained or blindly maintained ML builds it would be unwise trying to support newer cams."

Source: http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14866.0

Kind of a bummer.

On 6 May 2016 at 1:52 PM, Andrew Reid said:

"When" not if? Really?

It's highly unlikely for Canon to do full frame 4K for $3k with CFast cards to support a chunky codec (otherwise why use CFast cards at all), when there is no Cinema EOS camera in that price range or remotely close with a similar spec.

Sorry but on this one you're dreaming Ebrahim.

With the C100 Mk III expected not soon after (according to schedule of previous model releases), I do not expect the 5D IV to have anything other than the addition of 4K at 24/25/30fps and PDAF for video shooters. 

I expect the next C100 to only add 4K and a slightly higher bitrate, as to not ruin the C300 II (which according to my rental house is not in demand at all because of the FS7). 

This sounds negative against Canon, but the fact of the matter is that their models work better than other brands at standard frame rates and overall usability. You can absolutely rely on C-series cameras for that reason. 

A good comparison is the RX10II vs the XC10. The specs on the Sony are monstrous but in reality, it's a terrible camera for video. Very overpromised. It's unreliable and is awful to use due to nasty focusing. The XC10 specs don't look great, but as a video camera it works much better. It's a decent B cam for the bigger models. 

Anyway, while we all waste time debating what Canon isn't doing and all that fuzz, let's look to the models that work today, which are perfectly fine for many of our needs. 

5 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

With the C100 Mk III expected not soon after (according to schedule of previous model releases), I do not expect the 5D IV to have anything other than the addition of 4K at 24/25/30fps and PDAF for video shooters. 

I expect the next C100 to only add 4K and a slightly higher bitrate, as to not ruin the C300 II (which according to my rental house is not in demand at all because of the FS7). 

This sounds negative against Canon, but the fact of the matter is that their models work better than other brands at standard frame rates and overall usability. You can absolutely rely on C-series cameras for that reason. 

A good comparison is the RX10II vs the XC10. The specs on the Sony are monstrous but in reality, it's a terrible camera for video. Very overpromised. It's unreliable and is awful to use due to nasty focusing. The XC10 specs don't look great, but as a video camera it works much better. It's a decent B cam for the bigger models. 

Anyway, while we all waste time debating what Canon isn't doing and all that fuzz, let's look to the models that work today, which are perfectly fine for many of our needs. 

I would just like to add that even though the other companies are really feeding most of our cravings in terms of specs. Given the fact that we all have different tastes, we may buy it, try it and not like how it tastes... some spit it out and leave the restaurant (so to say and never come back), some stomach it, and there are others that like it. Rince and repeat.

Tested the 1DX Mkii on the Letus Helix, so far all is good. Still sorting through the manual. Took some test shots over the weekend verse my Sony A7ii and A7Rii. The Canon is way cleaner, requiring far less gain to expose in low light conditions that either of the Sonys. Video look pretty good to my eyes, even in dark (not just low-light) conditions, whereas the Sonys produced unusable footage under the same condition. We did have some rain over the weekend, and I had no fear, safe in the knowledge that this body is fully weather-sealed.

DSC07535.jpg

DSC07542.jpg

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
On 5/6/2016 at 8:52 PM, Andrew Reid said:

"When" not if? Really?

It's highly unlikely for Canon to do full frame 4K for $3k with CFast cards to support a chunky codec (otherwise why use CFast cards at all), when there is no Cinema EOS camera in that price range or remotely close with a similar spec.

Sorry but on this one you're dreaming Ebrahim.

No more than saying that, you'll be pleasantly surprised :) 

Just shoot the 1DC for now like I am doing. I don't miss a 4K 5d with it. 

17 hours ago, DBounce said:

Tested the 1DX Mkii on the Letus Helix, so far all is good. Still sorting through the manual. Took some test shots over the weekend verse my Sony A7ii and A7Rii. The Canon is way cleaner, requiring far less gain to expose in low light conditions that either of the Sonys.

less gain noise?can you show some comparison  pics ?

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:52 PM, Jimmy said:

This article is embarrassing.... The guys that did all the hard work gave it a positive review with some negative caveats... Andrew then takes those few caveats, without any real world testing or insight and creates this clickbait monstrosity to fit some ludicrous Canon narrative (while using the 1DC and XC10).

Great forum, dreadful blog.

Is that a long way of saying that you don't agree with him?

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 9:32 AM, Andrew Reid said:

It will be a full frame 80D with moire and no articulated screen probably!

They will still be bogged down by their processors and thermal envelope limitations. That is why they stuck with Digic 6 processors and MJPEG with the 1DX2.

Unless they do something drastic, such as come out with a Digic 8 this year, I think the video on the 5D4 will probably disappoint. At the moment the hardware needed to compete with the MILCs is lacking.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:02 AM, Jimmy said:

I think the 4K 60p on the 1DXii gives alot of hope for 4K 30p on the 5Div... It is a nice, clear product separator

Without c-log though, i'll likely buy neither, unless ML can get something going.

Not with a single processor and no fan it won't.

10 hours ago, tugela said:

They will still be bogged down by their processors and thermal envelope limitations. That is why they stuck with Digic 6 processors and MJPEG with the 1DX2.

Unless they do something drastic, such as come out with a Digic 8 this year, I think the video on the 5D4 will probably disappoint. At the moment the hardware needed to compete with the MILCs is lacking.

Yeah like the GH4 that has an advanced 200mbit/s all-i codec at HD (oh wait...)

On 5/8/2016 at 3:31 PM, DBounce said:

Tested the 1DX Mkii on the Letus Helix, so far all is good. Still sorting through the manual. Took some test shots over the weekend verse my Sony A7ii and A7Rii. The Canon is way cleaner, requiring far less gain to expose in low light conditions that either of the Sonys. Video look pretty good to my eyes, even in dark (not just low-light) conditions, whereas the Sonys produced unusable footage under the same condition. We did have some rain over the weekend, and I had no fear, safe in the knowledge that this body is fully weather-sealed.

DSC07535.jpg

DSC07542.jpg

The a7ii does not shoot great video, and you must try the a7r2 in s35/cropped mode.  Hell it basically almost has the same 4k crop (1.41x vs 1.5) and I think you'll find the Sony sharper up to it's limit @ ISO 25600.  I'm of course talking about the a7r2.  Now, skin tones?  They will be much worse of course...:)

1DX II 4K crop factor is 1.33.

Canon is doing something interesting for noise reduction. The blacks are incredibly clean- need to compare with the A7S II for non-crazy-high ISOs (12800 and lower). When noise starts to become present, it's somewhat organic and very fine.