Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Panasonic's argument against IBIS during video recording was that it compromised heat dissipation. Has anyone tested for overheating with the IBIS on?

-No recording limit. I am using a US model so I'm not sure if it'll be different for models released in other countries, but the Panasonic let me record as long as I wanted. No overheating either - during the battery stress test, the hand grip area got warm but nothing too bad.

Edit: Sorry, tested without IBIS. My bad.

16 hours ago, jase said:

Could any of the lucky owners share some original media in the corresponding topic? Would love to see some footage with skin shot in Standard with -5/-5/-5/-5 if possible :)

Here are some quick headshots from this morning.  Sorry about the jittery GX80 video, I must have had too much coffee this morning.  From my stabilisation tests yesterday, I thought that the P35-100/2.8 was doing better on the GX80.  Hmmm...  I also added a couple of files comparing the same colour against the LX100.  The GX80 colour looks much more natural in my opinion.  I was surprised at how much different the LX100 was, especially in Natural mode. 

For white balance on both cameras, I used an expo disk and custom WB facing in the direction where I was to be shooting from where my son was sitting.  All shot in 4k/25fps.  Standard -5, -5, -5, -5, and Natural 0, -3, -4, 0 (which I have generally been using).  I'll try to get some more later, outside, if I can get my son to co-operate ;)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5L5s8IdiEl9bm5lODJkYzhGNEU

1 minute ago, sgreszcz said:

Here are some quick headshots from this morning.  Sorry about the jittery GX80 video, I must have had too much coffee this morning.  From my stabilisation tests yesterday, I thought that the P35-100/2.8 was doing better on the GX80.  Hmmm...  I also added a couple of files comparing the same colour against the LX100.  The GX80 colour looks much more natural in my opinion.  I was surprised at how much different the LX100 was, especially in Natural mode. 

For white balance on both cameras, I used an expo disk and custom WB facing in the direction where I was to be shooting from where my son was sitting.  All shot in 4k/25fps.  Standard -5, -5, -5, -5, and Natural 0, -3, -4, 0 (which I have generally been using).  I'll try to get some more later, outside, if I can get my son to co-operate ;)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5L5s8IdiEl9bm5lODJkYzhGNEU

wow, thank you!

7 hours ago, Dean said:

How does the GX80 stabilisation compare to the NX1 using IOS & DIS at the same time?  I've been pretty happy with the NX1, OIS & DIS for hand held.

This video is comparing the P35-100/2.8 and P12-35/2.8 lenses with various camera stabilisations on the Panasonic  G7, GX80, LX100 and Olympus OMD E-M5II.  All was handheld, and I was using both hands with elbows braced against my body and eye to the EVF.

These were all shot in 1080p/25fps, with the E-M5II using the All-I codec.  I kept it in 1080p as it was easier to get more or less the same crop/frame without having to move around.  I didn't bother white balancing all the cameras (I should have sorry), and I probably should have tested the P12-35/2.8 on the E-M5II as well.

The E-M5II is rock solid, and the stabilisation is better than any of the others.  The 1080p codec (at shallow depth of field) also looks better on the E-M5II, in my opinion than the Panasonic 20Mbps 1080p.  I need to test the 4k with some wide/detailed shots, but I'm sure the Panasonics will blow away the E-M5II.

Interesting.  I am a bit fearful and compromised when it comes to colour, (colourblind), but right away things like the red in the lips and the skin of my son look a lot more "natural" on the GX80 compared to the LX100 (in either standard or natural profiles).  @Inazuma mentioned this about the LX100 in another thread.  I will do some tests later with a colour chart and the same Natural and Standard settings on the LX100, G7, and GX80 (and maybe the E-M5II although it has a much different colours - in my opinion more natural).  

4 minutes ago, jase said:

Did some quick grade:

I have to admit, that adjusting those feels much more - easier - than all the Sony footage that I am struggling with. I might pull the trigger on that...

8 hours ago, jase said:

wow, that shoot at 00:24 looks like a gimbal!

Yeah, I guess it does, the camera is pretty damn impressive.

Also, that lens, the 42.5mm, does have Panasonic's 'POWER OIS', vs the older "MEGA OIS"- so that combined with the camera's stabilization seems to be pretty killer.