Canon FD to PL Mount

Anamatis

I'm really considering making a big upgrade to the URSA, but I've already invested in a fleet of Canon FDs. I've been doing some research on FD to PL mounts without a lot of luck. I know ARRI make an FD adapter to the ARRI mount (PL??) but besides that seems there's zilch out there. Some talk about machining the lenses to fit the new flange but I was hoping someone here knows of something...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks like you would need shave off about 10 cm from an FD lens for it reach infinity. Going off memory, rear mount glass on an FD lens is pretty parallel to the mounting plane. It'd be pretty damn hard to come up with 10 cm.

Flange distances:

FD 42.00 mm

PL 52.00 mm

• Super Members

Anamatis, I have a few rare FD lenses that were converted to Arri Standard, which is adaptable to PL.  There's no such thing as an FD lens to PL mount adapter as the flange focal depth of PL is considerably longer.

FDs are great lenses optically, but mechanically they are poor for any form of motion shooting.  Should you decide you want to convert, the conversion costs more than just buying native PL lenses these days, and the mechanical quality of the native PL lenses is far better then any conversion that can be done on FD.  

If you want recommendation on entry level PL lenses we can certainly have a conversation about that, all modern lenses are going to have a different look from the FDs, although I have been working on a custom "Vintage Look" coating for the Xeen lenses, it's nearly there and adds about $1500 to the price.

I.

Illya Friedman
President
Hot Rod Cameras
www.hotrodcameras.com
(323)230-3589 

• 2 years later...
On 3/9/2016 at 6:39 AM, andrgl said:

Looks like you would need shave off about 10 cm from an FD lens for it reach infinity. Going off memory, rear mount glass on an FD lens is pretty parallel to the mounting plane. It'd be pretty damn hard to come up with 10 cm.

Flange distances:

FD 42.00 mm

PL 52.00 mm

10 cm is a 100 mm, there's 10mm difference between 42 mm and 52 mm, my canon fd 35-70 f4 is close to 10 cm long or 100mm not sure how i could cut 10cm off it. i'm guessing you meant 10 mm ?

• 4 weeks later...