It's My Party - Short film shot on 5D Mark III

mbiondo25

Hello!

Here is a short film I shot and directed called "It's My Party" (if you couldn't tell from the big pink letters). I just posted it online Monday and I'm looking for feedback. After my last film which was 20 minutes long and about 10 different locations, I wanted to get back to something more simple that focused on character rather than plot. Anyway, if you have a few minutes check it out and let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy it!

Mike

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Strangely, I just started watching some of your shorts on Vimeo a few days ago. Really nice work. As a new 5D3 ML Raw user, your work is definitely inspiring and makes me want to shoot more short films. In fact, that has been the biggest thing I’ve noticed since getting the 5D3... I just want to keep working on projects. I care a lot less about overthinking gear choices since I bought it. 

14 hours ago, mercer said:

Strangely, I just started watching some of your shorts on Vimeo a few days ago. Really nice work. As a new 5D3 ML Raw user, your work is definitely inspiring and makes me want to shoot more short films. In fact, that has been the biggest thing I’ve noticed since getting the 5D3... I just want to keep working on projects. I care a lot less about overthinking gear choices since I bought it. 

Thanks man. Really appreciate it and glad you dug the short.

One of the things I like most about the 5D3 is how simple it is to get great looking images out of. Maybe thats because I've been a canon shooter from the beginning but I honestly don't remember a time when the camera wasn't able to get what I needed. (besides more dynamic range)

Excited to see what you shoot. Definitely send your shorts my way when you can.

Yeah, I’ve described the 5D3 as a point and shoot cinema camera... especially since I have been shooting handheld with it with my Canon IS lenses. 

I’ve been working on a project since April. It was originally intended as a short film designed to get my feet wet with ML Raw, but then I’ve been getting such good footage, it has grown into something more. Here are a few screengrabs from it...

84318869-9882-4DCD-A3C1-638F1AEC7D3C.jpeg

63532500-9D34-4900-85A2-BFB851845B12.jpeg

796CFDF5-59C5-4590-9ECA-3FBF692654F8.jpeg

385DCA6B-B3AA-4BD7-9095-E6651BAC09E1.jpeg

6A6EC673-1EBF-4FD6-9AFC-D6822DA9FEFD.jpeg

Since this project may just end up as an impromptu feature, I’m currently writing some micro short film scripts to shoot in between. I’m hoping to get 60p working and it will be the ultimate camera for my needs. 

Btw, I really enjoyed you Last Day of Summer short. You obviously have a firm grasp of cinema. 

On 9/30/2017 at 11:44 AM, mercer said:

Yeah, I’ve described the 5D3 as a point and shoot cinema camera... especially since I have been shooting handheld with it with my Canon IS lenses. 

I’ve been working on a project since April. It was originally intended as a short film designed to get my feet wet with ML Raw, but then I’ve been getting such good footage, it has grown into something more. Here are a few screengrabs from it...

84318869-9882-4DCD-A3C1-638F1AEC7D3C.jpeg

63532500-9D34-4900-85A2-BFB851845B12.jpeg

796CFDF5-59C5-4590-9ECA-3FBF692654F8.jpeg

385DCA6B-B3AA-4BD7-9095-E6651BAC09E1.jpeg

6A6EC673-1EBF-4FD6-9AFC-D6822DA9FEFD.jpeg

Since this project may just end up as an impromptu feature, I’m currently writing some micro short film scripts to shoot in between. I’m hoping to get 60p working and it will be the ultimate camera for my needs. 

Btw, I really enjoyed you Last Day of Summer short. You obviously have a firm grasp of cinema. 

Dude those screengrabs look incredible. Excited to see it whatever it turns into. Glad you dug "Last Day of Summer"!

I did a 60p raw test recently and it completely failed. Every frame was pink and pixelated. I have no idea what I did wrong. If you figure it out please let me know how!

4 hours ago, mbiondo25 said:

Dude those screengrabs look incredible. Excited to see it whatever it turns into. Glad you dug "Last Day of Summer"!

I did a 60p raw test recently and it completely failed. Every frame was pink and pixelated. I have no idea what I did wrong. If you figure it out please let me know how!

Thanks, Mike. I really appreciate that. I had nature on my side for most of those, but I couldn’t be more excited and pleased with this camera. I’ll definitely send you a link when I finish something. 

I was able to get 48p working in 2:35 but it wasn’t full hd. But it was kind of a pain changing all of the settings. Actually it was a major pain.