Jump to content
Germy1979

5D Mark 3 Raw in 2016?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Nicolas MAILLET said:

To be honest, i've already used the A7SII for paid works and no problem !!!! The camera is (to my opinion) the least tool you have to consider on a set... I'm sure sometimes an iPhone could do the job on some shots... Great lights, great sound and you're done... And on set, the 5D mark III just doesn't do it for me... Backup backup backup !!!!! 6 minutes on a 64 GB card... Can't do full HD 25 fps without dropped frames... Some people speak about overheating from Sony... And 5D mark III with RAW enabled ? The screen on, hdmi port giving monitoring, and record for long periods and you're done... You have to stop working for some big minutes... To me the A7SII is a camera that i can trust more in. A high speed card and you're ok to shoot 81 minutes on a 64 GB card... 4K, 24 fps, 25 fps, 30 fps... slow motions, high isos... The 5D mark III is out for a long time right now...

I think choosing a 5D mark III right now to work with can be more masochistic than to choose an A7SII or any GH4... But i'm aware that this is my choice as this is my way to shoot...

"6 minutes on a 64 GB card" :astonished: Record time is more than double that shooting 24p 1080p on a 64Gb card. I get over 15min shooting a 2.39:1 aspect ratio.

I've been shooting raw with the MK3 since the day it came out and I've never had a problem with dropped frames with either the Lexar 1066 64Gb or the Toshiba 1066 64Gb. Mine's been through 2 Australian summers and no overheating, but a second body is a wise choice in hot conditions.

When I shoot narrative work outdoors I tend to shoot at magic hour, and I don't like to lose precious time white balancing. The A7s is shite for skin tones, the A7sII is a bit better. I get that its not for you, just like the Sony's are not for me. If the A7s was hacked it might be a different story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't shoot 2.35 native... I shoot 1.78 with 2.35 frame... And it is 7 minutes on a 64 GB card more or less. When i get 6 minutes, i change card not to have problems if the shot can take some time...

64 GB for 7 minutes !!!! Western digital is a good partner of yours... Come on !!! Maybe 90% of high budget productions are made with less bandwith than a RAW video from 5D mark III ... Take an alexa... a good choice for a camera isn't it ? If you choose ArriRaw codec, uncompressed, you have the same files as the Raw from 5D mark III... Could you tell me how many movies have been shot with ArriRaw ? I speak Big productions... like Marvels etc... I tell you : a few ones... because it is too heavy ON production... Big production movies are shot Prores... And to be honest once again, the prores used massively is not the 4444 XQ... Then files are not that ones you'll get with the 5D mark III... that is only 1080... compared to a 2800x1660...

If you want to be the guy that buys HDDs like candies, i mean i was at 4 hdds by 3 months... just shoot RAW with a 5d mark III... Results are good enough with a A7SII and, with the good persons, skin tones with A7SII are matching the ones of the 5D mark III... But files are waaayyyyy less heavy.

That's a choice... I've made mine, after using the two bodies. You make your choice. The two possibilities exist. No problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nicolas MAILLET said:

I don't shoot 2.35 native... I shoot 1.78 with 2.35 frame... And it is 7 minutes on a 64 GB card more or less. When i get 6 minutes, i change card not to have problems if the shot can take some time...

64 GB for 7 minutes !!!! Western digital is a good partner of yours... Come on !!! Maybe 90% of high budget productions are made with less bandwith than a RAW video from 5D mark III ... Take an alexa... a good choice for a camera isn't it ? If you choose ArriRaw codec, uncompressed, you have the same files as the Raw from 5D mark III... Could you tell me how many movies have been shot with ArriRaw ? I speak Big productions... like Marvels etc... I tell you : a few ones... because it is too heavy ON production... Big production movies are shot Prores... And to be honest once again, the prores used massively is not the 4444 XQ... Then files are not that ones you'll get with the 5D mark III... that is only 1080... compared to a 2800x1660...

If you want to be the guy that buys HDDs like candies, i mean i was at 4 hdds by 3 months... just shoot RAW with a 5d mark III... Results are good enough with a A7SII and, with the good persons, skin tones with A7SII are matching the ones of the 5D mark III... But files are waaayyyyy less heavy.

That's a choice... I've made mine, after using the two bodies. You make your choice. The two possibilities exist. No problem.

5D3 in raw mode 24/25fps 1080p 16:9 records 83-84 MB/s. Which gives 5GB per minute. 64GB is  12 minutes, 128GB is 24 minutes, 256GB is 48 minutes. Simple as that. Maybe you card was faulty.

About alexa - i have been on set of cat food TV commercial, shot on alexa xt - everything in arriraw. Nobody even mentioned prores. I was making BTS video - everything in raw either :) 2 day on set with 5d3 - no problem at all (but for that i bought those sandisk cards and didnt even try to use KB 64GB 1000x shitty card. 

Yesterday ML developers unlocked fully functional 1920x1080 3x crop - now it has fully working real time framing, up to this point it had black/white choppy look on the screen, now it can be treated like normal, usable s16 crop. They have also unlocked 50/60 fps mode without the need of streaching, maxumum resolution is 1920x648 (so very wide) but no image artifacts, IQ the same as 1920x1080 with black bars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kgv5, commercials are almost all shot in RAW when possible... This is a choice guided by the production and nothing else... Like 4K when only 1080 needed... Productors want 4K to have the ability to resize... This is not a choice made by the ones who shoot...

5d mark III has RAW... cool !!! I've used it on a big French National TV broadcasted commercial 7 months ago... I don't say it is a bad camera or anything else... i just say this is really not the best option to shoot with today... And today an A7SII is better to my eyes. Way comforter... non hacked, 81 minutes on a 64 GB card, and everything with a slight better dynamic, and slow motions... I don't speak about high isos... lights are always controlled on my sets :

1622055_673597322681761_460053015_n.jpg.63a7d1155e79d4c6ae8206d1967c345f.jpg

1DC right here 3 years ago... used in 8 bits 1080 only... No 4K MJPEGs... Reaaaaaallllly small budget... But broadcasted on French National TV channels during these three years... Just youtube it : "Pièces jaunes 25 ans"... Shoot with what you want !!!! One time i did replace the F55 we're used to shoot with by an A7SII, my personal A7SII... We had time to play in post. Dynamic and colors are not the same, but the result was here : the client didn't say anything about the quality... No strange skin tones around...

 

Take a look at this too : 

 

 

I don't shoot 5D mark III anymore. Too limited camera. Great picture but limited camera, not flexible, and not matching cameras of nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the A7S colour weaknesses are sadly all too clear in that clip. Noisy, compressed, inaccurate, thin and dreadful on the Rec.709 conversion, only the custom LUT (with a lot of expertise efforts) can save it even after that dodgy white balance, mixed light, exposure all remain difficulties faced by Sony users.

Sony need to make it EASY to get Canon or Nikon like colour from their cameras.

They should really trash their entire picture profiles line-up and start again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Well the A7S colour weaknesses are sadly all too clear in that clip. Noisy, compressed, inaccurate, thin and dreadful on the Rec.709 conversion, only the custom LUT (with a lot of expertise efforts) can save it even after that dodgy white balance, mixed light, exposure all remain difficulties faced by Sony users.

Sony need to make it EASY to get Canon or Nikon like colour from their cameras.

They should really trash their entire picture profiles line-up and start again.

I totally agree. Colors are not the Canon ones. But in terms of dynamic, frame rates available, file size, usb charging, EVF when recording... Etc etc... The canon is beaten...

In terms of photo, i'm obliged to say the A7SII is out... Way way out...

End of the discussion for me. Every camera seduces by its pros and cons. Some people prefer that one for this, that one for that... This was my answer to the topic : 5D mark III in 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Nicolas MAILLET said:

If you choose ArriRaw codec, uncompressed, you have the same files as the Raw from 5D mark III... Could you tell me how many movies have been shot with ArriRaw ? I speak Big productions... like Marvels etc... I tell you : a few ones... because it is too heavy ON production... Big production movies are shot Prores...

That's so wrong on a multitude of levels. Even here in Finland we shoot Arriraw with childrens movies.

All Marvel movies that have been shot with the Alexa have been shot in Arriraw. Can you stop trying to pretend you know much and stop using those exclamation marks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmcindie : i don't pretend i know much. Then i'm just giving an answer, my answer to the topic. And yes i can stop using the points but this is my way to write... You can say i'm wrong while i speak about arriraw used on movies but you can't easily ask me to change my way to write. I know there are rules on forums and using points at the end of sentences is surely not forbidden... I think i'm doing my best to give my answer to the topic's question...

And now i have to justify myself... No problem to quit this topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Made one of these today.
It really is a compact little Raw Cinema Camera that also works as a great stills camera.

 

Do you ever lose shots with the Magic Lantern? If you have a low budget but important shoot could it be risky to choose to shoot with Magic Lantern on this guy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, squig said:

There's a longstanding pink frame bug with 720p 60p recording http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5473.msg165309#msg165309

Never tried slowmo in 720p but from that very thread,

"In conclusion, I've come to the realization that some of the issue with pink frames may not come from the MLV files themselves, but from the converters doing the conversion."

Ive only shot the higher resolution raw and never seen any pink frames. I use Raw Magic for the conversion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday i took my 5d3 to the airfield to test the recently added new S16 crop feature. Correct framing and fluid live view (two the most important improvements) are just essential to shoot fast moving objects. What a great new tool!!!
Almost everything was shot with 70-200 f2.8 IS II with 3x 1:1 crop at 1080p 25fps. Lens set at f8. No single damaged frame (recorded on sandisk 128gb 160mb/s card), just perfect. I have to get canon 2x extender now to have 1200mm lens :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Never tried slowmo in 720p but from that very thread,

"In conclusion, I've come to the realization that some of the issue with pink frames may not come from the MLV files themselves, but from the converters doing the conversion."

Ive only shot the higher resolution raw and never seen any pink frames. I use Raw Magic for the conversion.

Yeah 1080p is fine. If the 5D freezes (happens occasionally) just pull the battery. I've spent 2 days trying to nail the pink frame bug to no avail. :bawling: Use the Aug 2014 build if you wanna do slo-mo. I shoot slo-mo with a 1.5x Iscorama to get 2K 2.39:1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, squig said:

Yeah 1080p is fine. If the 5D freezes (happens occasionally) just pull the battery. I've spent 2 days trying to nail the pink frame bug to no avail. :bawling: Use the Aug 2014 build if you wanna do slo-mo. I shoot slo-mo with a 1.5x Iscorama to get 2K 2.39:1.

You mean you get pink frames in in the 1920x672 slow as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news. a1ex from Magic Lantern has squashed the 60p/50p pink frames bug http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5473.new#new

The new 3x3 720p crop mode produces great quality aliasing free 2K 2.39:1 anamorphic slo-mo footage. I'm shooting with a 1.5x Iscorama and a 35mm Leica-r which equates to a FOV of around 45mm.

On 05/04/2016 at 5:50 PM, hmcindie said:

Great shots squig!

Thx.

On 05/04/2016 at 5:46 PM, Mattias Burling said:

You mean you get pink frames in in the 1920x672 slow as well?

It affected any aspect ratio @ 60p. All fixed now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...