Panasonics new Cinema Camera? - Announcement today

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

Some info, http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2016/01/23/new-varicam-from-panasonic-on-the-10th-february-2016/

"Panasonic will announce their new VariCam on Wednesday, February 10th 2016 at 7pm at the DGA theater — 7920 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046."

I think you can get a ticket here, https://www.ticketbase.com/events/panasonic-launch-event

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Looks nice. Squarely aimed at the RED and Arri crowd.

I still think they would be better doing a Super 35mm AF100 replacement with that VariCam S35 sensor.

Just because the AF100 failed on the market doesn't mean to say Panasonic can't get it right the next time out.

Instead it is almost as if they haven't bothered.

2 minutes ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

It's a bit half baked at $18K! Panasonic should have built a FS5/7 answer first. 

In what respect? This, on paper, competes with any cinema camera on the market. If it can hold 14 stops through the ISO range, with dual ISO, that will be amazing.

54 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Interesting that it's EF mount as well. Does that mean Panasonic might make a Super 35 or FF camera with EF mount on the lower end. Maybe not GH series, but AF?

This means Panasonic has no mount for APS-C/Super35mm lenses. Don't ask why no PL.

4 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Not too outrageous for the specs in my opinion. I bet in 2 years it'll be under 10k.

If so then this could be the camera for me in two years time! Either that or just keep on waiting for the F5 price to drop.... :-D But the Varicam LT would be far superior. 

The fire and ice video shot on varicam vimeo page looks nice too. I dont know about the motion feel though. But id have to test out to maoe judgements. If anything this cannabilizes sales from their bigger varicam 35 unless there is some reason the 60k version can do more than this smaller one. But maybe sales were bad so they are making this 20k beast as good as they can.

8 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Some bullets from that link.

• 14+ stops of dynamic range with V-Log
  • s35mm
  • Dual Native ISO of 800/5000
  • EF Mount
  • Prores 444 up to 30p and Prores Hq up to 60p
  • 240fps cropped
  • Built in NDs
  • 6 lbs
  • $18k Body only and $24k body + EVF

Feels like a tough sell to me vs the lower end RED market they're clearly gunning for.   If you hate RED and are willing to pay a premium you might as well go Arri Mini and be done with it.

Scarlet-W

• 14+ ("16.5+") stops of dynamic range.
  • 5k supersampled to 4k.
  • S35mm
  • Native ISO of 2000
  • EF Mount or Nikon mount or PL Mount or Leica Mount or Panavision Mount or...
  • ProRes 4:2:2 (1080p though not 4k)
  • 300fps cropped
  • no built in ND.
  • 3.5 lbs
  • $14,500 w/ monitor and battery plate and 120GB memory card.