Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

I've got a VD Pix-e5 on order to fix my external monitoring issues (and record in ProRes) and borrowed a 18-55mm OIS from a workmate. I think I'll keep the NX1 until there's a Sony A7s III or Canon C100 III with 4k 10bit HDMI out (LOL like that would happen).

I think the overall package of the NX1 is just so nice, you have to spend big money to get something that tops it.

We'll go spend 4 days on Mallorca next weekend so hopefully I'll get to shoot some clips and do some timelapse.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

First of all, best wishes for your cute dog. I hope he's well very soon.

This is a nice and interesting test, as always from you.

When you say "osiris" or "impulz" or "IWLTBAP", which one of the many luts of their collection are you using? Also, when you say "deluts make log like", do you mean Andrew's NX2Log lut? When you say "with grain", how do you apply grain (premiere or a specific plugin like filmemulation)?

The "with grain" images look more contrasty and really cinematic to me. Why is that if only grain is added?

p.s.: OSIRIS + grain is my favourite. Which is yours?

p.p.s. sorry for the many questions, but I'm trying to learn :)

• Super Members

Dog says thanks :)

I don't really remember which is which but the OSIRIS was the Kodak 6. The Impulz was a Fuji and a Tecktachrome.
The Make Log Like are from James Miller.
I aply grain by placing it on the track above and switch the blend mode to overlay.
On one of the added grains I added some contrast as well :)

My favorite is the Impulz or one of the IWLTBAP.

Mattias, sorry about the injury.  Hope it heels quickly. 

Regarding you 'boring tests', how does the NX1 image hold up when adding that grain at, say, ISO 1600, 3200, 6400?    

Do you think that it makes the image more "usable" WRT to banding and blocking, perhaps, distracting from that? 

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Arizona Sunset said:

Mattias, sorry about the injury.  Hope it heels quickly. 

Regarding you 'boring tests', how does the NX1 image hold up when adding that grain at, say, ISO 1600, 3200, 6400?    

Do you think that it makes the image more "usable" WRT to banding and blocking, perhaps, distracting from that? 

Havent tried, have been sticking to iso 800 so far. But I can test some day.

8 minutes ago, Marco Tecno said:

Imo 800 is the highest before that bad nr kicks in. I'd like to be able toturn it off,since iso 1600 is still very good in raw stills, on nx1.

I've shot up to 3200 in raw and got great results. I wonder what we can do in video to alleviate these issues ? Currently I am leaving contrast at default and removing saturation since I have found out 16-235 helps avoid macroblocking and you can expose the image up to a stop brighter before you get the highlight overexpure zebras. My theory is that the oversaturated color channels affects the performance of the image somewhere down the line

I would like to use NX1 and NX500 for interviews, or other small videos. Does anyone has any ideas how to match? 

What I usually do (I haven't done any NX500 video, is my everyday photo camera with the 30mm pancake) is 

STANDARD or VIVID /  Smart Range: OFF / OLED:NO / Constrast: -4 Sharpness: -10, everything else default. 16-235 (NX1 only).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, for us that we haven't Andrew's LUT, is there any workaround?

23 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I would like to use NX1 and NX500 for interviews, or other small videos. Does anyone has any ideas how to match? 

What I usually do (I haven't done any NX500 video, is my everyday photo camera with the 30mm pancake) is 

STANDARD or VIVID /  Smart Range: OFF / OLED:NO / Constrast: -4 Sharpness: -10, everything else default. 16-235 (NX1 only).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, for us that we haven't Andrew's LUT, is there any workaround?

I haven't got Andrew's LUT either, but I think there are many nice LUTs around the net as well. In fact I just bought the Osiris LUT and I'm trying it out.

On 2/7/2016 at 4:45 AM, mercer said:

Never thought I'd say this, but... That pile of dung looks great. 

Mercer, slightly off topic, but still on subject: You mentioned 6K lenses and I guess you made your homework. Could you appoint me to info which lenses are 6k+ resolution ready? Or how did you found yours?

1 hour ago, Pavel D Prichystal said:

Mercer, slightly off topic, but still on subject: You mentioned 6K lenses and I guess you made your homework. Could you appoint me to info which lenses are 6k+ resolution ready? Or how did you found yours?

Hi Pavel, in that post I was quoting Kidzrevil. He has the Zeiss Milvus lenses that are supposed to be capable of resolving 6K. He has gotten some great results with them. But a lot of other NX1 users have been using various other lenses that work very well with the camera. What kind of lenses are you looking for?

Just now, mercer said:

Hi Pavel, in that post I was quoting Kidzrevil. He has the Zeiss Milvus lenses that are supposed to be capable of resolving 6K. He has gotten some great results with them. But a lot of other NX1 users have been using various other lenses that work very well with the camera. What kind of lenses are you looking for?

Thats the thing. I have the most common lenses (16/2.4, 30/2) together with two old ones (Super Takumar 50/1.4, CZ Jenna 135/3.5) for video work only, but what Im looking for is more information on that topic. To find out if its worth the swap for more powerful (but also more expensive) lenses and what difference do these lenses make. To find out even a little, I need at least the kickstart from somebody who already made the leap and did the research. So if I may ask, what is your knowledge on this topic?

17 minutes ago, Pavel D Prichystal said:

Thats the thing. I have the most common lenses (16/2.4, 30/2) together with two old ones (Super Takumar 50/1.4, CZ Jenna 135/3.5) for video work only, but what Im looking for is more information on that topic. To find out if its worth the swap for more powerful (but also more expensive) lenses and what difference do these lenses make. To find out even a little, I need at least the kickstart from somebody who already made the leap and did the research. So if I may ask, what is your knowledge on this topic?

Pavel, I know very little about lenses that resolve 6K, but I know a lot about vintage lenses. When I bought my first camera for video, I could not afford any expensive lenses, so I bought vintage. And I bought a lot of them. I spent days upon days reading and watching reviews, looking at sample images and videos. So, with my credentials behind me, I think you should be fine with those lenses. If you have some money to spare on some really good lenses, then I would recommend it with the NX1. The sensor is demanding. I own the NX500 and I found that you can get a good image with many different lenses, but you can get very clean clinical images with more modern glass. So, the next question is, what type of video do you plan on shooting? Is this a hobby for you and you plan on shooting the best family get togethers and birthday parties? Do you plan on shooting pro events or weddings? Do you hope to shoot narrative or documentary pieces? 

• Super Members
20 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

Imo 800 is the highest before that bad nr kicks in. I'd like to be able toturn it off,since iso 1600 is still very good in raw stills, on nx1.

I did some lowlight tests tonight. ISO 3200 was totally usable. 6400 might need some NR but still doable in a pinch.
1600 was very clean. And this was all at f2.0 so I have another stop with the f1.4 primes.

13 minutes ago, mercer said:

Pavel, I know very little about lenses that resolve 6K, but I know a lot about vintage lenses. When I bought my first camera for video, I could not afford any expensive lenses, so I bought vintage. And I bought a lot of them. I spent days upon days reading and watching reviews, looking at sample images and videos. So, with my credentials behind me, I think you should be fine with those lenses. If you have some money to spare on some really good lenses, then I would recommend it with the NX1. The sensor is demanding. I own the NX500 and I found that you can get a good image with many different lenses, but you can get very clean clinical images with more modern glass. So, the next question is, what type of video do you plan on shooting? Is this a hobby for you and you plan on shooting the best family get togethers and birthday parties? Do you plan on shooting pro events or weddings? Do you hope to shoot narrative or documentary pieces? 

Mercer, I am both hobbyist and prosumer in the sense that I do short movies (+- 3 minutes) to place on vimeo to satisfy my "artistic" needs AND shoot shor clips with commercial value for Microstock for living. Because of that I'm of course always looking for best possible quality gear for value/money. So while profesionalism is the goal, minimalism in terms of quality for easy transportation for on location shoots is needed- for things like these, just gimme a year or two to get better in the edit part :grin:

So when you mentioned the sensor is demanding, you actually pointed out the reason why I asked. If I may ask you for a bit of your time: what do you mean by that in connection to lenses and output quality? A few people already mentioned it, but I'm hoping for deeper explanation.

10 minutes ago, Pavel D Prichystal said:

Mercer, I am both hobbyist and prosumer in the sense that I do short movies (+- 3 minutes) to place on vimeo to satisfy my "artistic" needs AND shoot shor clips with commercial value for Microstock for living. Because of that I'm of course always looking for best possible quality gear for value/money. So while profesionalism is the goal, minimalism in terms of quality for easy transportation for on location shoots is needed- for things like these, just gimme a year or two to get better in the edit part :grin:

So when you mentioned the sensor is demanding, you actually pointed out the reason why I asked. If I may ask you for a bit of your time: what do you mean by that in connection to lenses and output quality? A few people already mentioned it, but I'm hoping for deeper explanation.

Pavel, nice work. Cool edit. Okay, it is arguable that you should spend more on lenses than on cameras. Your lenses will out live the camera, so obtaining good glass is essential.  For the type of work you are describing, I would recommend either the Sigma Art lenses or the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower Cine lenses. They aren't necessarily inexpensive, but they are a good value for the lenses. If you don't mind used lenses them there are always deals to be had on eBay, Craigslist, etc... I personally would not recommend the native Samsung lenses. With the future of the NX mount in question, I don't see them as a viable lens investment. But, for the right price, they are great lenses that work beautifully with the NX system. Actually, I think Rokinon has made some of their lenses in the NX mount, so that may be a viable option. Otherwise always get your lenses in the Nikon mount, it has the most cross camera platform compatability if you change cameras in a couple years. However, if you are looking for auto focus and exposure then pick up a couple more Samsungs and be done with it. Btw, I love Takumar lenses, I recently picked up the 35mm f2 lens for very cheap and it is a stunning piece of glass with amazing bokeh and character. Hope this helps.