Jump to content
Geoff CB

Your ideal NX1 Settings

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I've been shooting gamma c at default contrast -10 sharpness and -1 / -2 saturation and wow. Blown away. These were shot with 16-235 but Today i am experimenting with 16-255 as I've read technicolor cinestyle used that range to optimize the image for the encoder. 16-235 remapped to 0-255 automatically in premiere and I assume the same would apply to the 16-255 footage ! for this look I did NOT use LUT's aS I noticed LUT's were exaggerating compression artifacts in the image even when denoising before applying the lut. I went old school and just installed my own toe and shoulder using curves and kept the curve in the midtone region linear. Using the zeiss milvus lenses it looks my theory is true. You can beat the in camera sharpening if you use a high contrast lens that can resolve up to 6k. I assume the noise reduction and sharpening algorithim sees the areas of the image are true detail and leaves those areas filled with fine detail alone. This camera deserves the moniker "baby red" because the image quality is stunning WHEN TREATED CORRECTLY.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

really gorgeous look. are they out of camera? or, if you did adjustments, which ones?

 

p.s. did you leave rgb untouched in camera?

p.p.s. I remember, when I used gamma c, that shadows were a bit crushed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I've been shooting gamma c at default contrast -10 sharpness and -1 / -2 saturation and wow. Blown away. These were shot with 16-235 but Today i am experimenting with 16-255 as I've read technicolor cinestyle used that range to optimize the image for the encoder. 16-235 remapped to 0-255 automatically in premiere and I assume the same would apply to the 16-255 footage ! for this look I did NOT use LUT's aS I noticed LUT's were exaggerating compression artifacts in the image even when denoising before applying the lut. I went old school and just installed my own toe and shoulder using curves and kept the curve in the midtone region linear. Using the zeiss milvus lenses it looks my theory is true. You can beat the in camera sharpening if you use a high contrast lens that can resolve up to 6k. I assume the noise reduction and sharpening algorithim sees the areas of the image are true detail and leaves those areas filled with fine detail alone. This camera deserves the moniker "baby red" because the image quality is stunning WHEN TREATED CORRECTLY.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Absolutely beautiful! I hate color grading (or, I am not good at it and end up wasting time and getting frustrated). I've been using Andrew's LOG LUT combined with FilmConvert. It's simple and I like the results.  However, it is still 8-bit and you can tell. Here is a recent example all shot with the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 in 1080p 120fps using the FJ AST 100 (I thought it fit the mood of down town Baltimore the best) with a tiny bit of sharpening added in FCPX: 

I'm going to give your Gamma C settings a try next time I go out and shoot. Did you touch the MBL at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used my MF Nikkors for the first time and am really happy with them. Also used the Vizelex ND Throttle Adapter and happy with that too !! 

EOSHD LOG conversion LUT. OSIRIS Vision X LUT from VisionColor.

Nikon 24/2.8 Ai-S, Nikon 35/2 Ai-S, Nikon 50/1.4 Ai-S, Nikon 105/2.5 Ai-S. Default Gamma DR settings with sharpening set at -10. MBL = 0, 16-235.

03.thumb.jpg.e68daf39cf69656f324f6e28e96

03a.thumb.jpg.58577bc06fa60f88bce056c2a2

02.thumb.jpg.65ae71d82f75ad353df655fe2d0

02a.thumb.jpg.e4ed73dd2691836b901f89e9db

04a.thumb.jpg.8d0dfc0dd484f1211e56fa53e7

04.thumb.jpg.65f02e8a6ec4000973e3cf35142

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

This looks stunning ! Congrats !

Appreciate it ! Your work is awesome btw

7 hours ago, iamoui said:

Absolutely beautiful! I hate color grading (or, I am not good at it and end up wasting time and getting frustrated). I've been using Andrew's LOG LUT combined with FilmConvert. It's simple and I like the results.  However, it is still 8-bit and you can tell. Here is a recent example all shot with the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 in 1080p 120fps using the FJ AST 100 (I thought it fit the mood of down town Baltimore the best) with a tiny bit of sharpening added in FCPX: 

I'm going to give your Gamma C settings a try next time I go out and shoot. Did you touch the MBL at all?

No mbl ! Just -2 saturation. Im going to test with good old 0-255 next because I see there is a jump in brightness with 16-255. I think the 0-255,16-235 & 16-255 have the same data its just read different by the nle. Try doing your tests with 0-255.

for an in camera "grade" like the osiris vision x or kdx lut, try shifting the hues to the left. It changes reds to a more pink color and blues to a teal color. Its the same result you'll get when applying a lut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, iamoui said:

Absolutely beautiful! I hate color grading (or, I am not good at it and end up wasting time and getting frustrated). I've been using Andrew's LOG LUT combined with FilmConvert. It's simple and I like the results.  However, it is still 8-bit and you can tell. Here is a recent example all shot with the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 in 1080p 120fps using the FJ AST 100 (I thought it fit the mood of down town Baltimore the best) with a tiny bit of sharpening added in FCPX: 

I'm going to give your Gamma C settings a try next time I go out and shoot. Did you touch the MBL at all?

Looks great. Music is very fitting as well. What FC profile did you use? I'm guessing one of the RedGammas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dean said:

Used my MF Nikkors for the first time and am really happy with them. Also used the Vizelex ND Throttle Adapter and happy with that too !! 

EOSHD LOG conversion LUT. OSIRIS Vision X LUT from VisionColor.

Nikon 24/2.8 Ai-S, Nikon 35/2 Ai-S, Nikon 50/1.4 Ai-S, Nikon 105/2.5 Ai-S. Default Gamma DR settings with sharpening set at -10. MBL = 0, 16-235.

03.thumb.jpg.e68daf39cf69656f324f6e28e96

03a.thumb.jpg.58577bc06fa60f88bce056c2a2

02.thumb.jpg.65ae71d82f75ad353df655fe2d0

02a.thumb.jpg.e4ed73dd2691836b901f89e9db

04a.thumb.jpg.8d0dfc0dd484f1211e56fa53e7

04.thumb.jpg.65f02e8a6ec4000973e3cf35142

 

 

That's some fine lookin' stuff right there.

I looked at a bunch of your other stuff too. I think this Lens-Lut combo is a real high-point.
The stuff with the Samsung lenses is unbelievably sharp and clear, but at times almost feels too sharp...know what I mean?
Those AI-s lenses are still sharp, but I don't see the almost distractingly sharp edges to things.

Kowabunga!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DPStewart said:

That's some fine lookin' stuff right there.

I looked at a bunch of your other stuff too. I think this Lens-Lut combo is a real high-point.
The stuff with the Samsung lenses is unbelievably sharp and clear, but at times almost feels too sharp...know what I mean?
Those AI-s lenses are still sharp, but I don't see the almost distractingly sharp edges to things.

Kowabunga!

Thanks. Yeah, I reckon the Ai-S lenses give a nice look to the NX1 ... sharp but not too sharp. As you say less distractingly sharp. I was hoping they would look OK as I have a nice little collection already :) I think half the fun I'm having with this camera is because of the EOSHD Log LUT. It's good fun starting with a flat image and seeing what can be done. It seems to take well to FilmConvert, OSIRIS & Impulz..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the dumb question but... why is 16-235 an option at all? Mabe it's naive but isn't less information always worse than more information... (you can limit your data in post if necessary)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, maybe depends on your workflow and the transcoding tool:
http://www.divergentmedia.com/blog/samsung-nx1-h265-luminance-ranges/

"If your footage is targeting a color correction pass, 0-255 is a good option. But if you’re using an NX1 to shoot video that you want to edit in a more traditional manner, stick to the 16-235 setting. It’s not worse, it’s just intended for different workflows, and is the right mode for most users."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mars said:
5 hours ago, Mars said:

Sorry for the dumb question but... why is 16-235 an option at all? Mabe it's naive but isn't less information always worse than more information... (you can limit your data in post if necessary)

Sorry for the dumb question but... why is 16-235 an option at all? Mabe it's naive but isn't less information always worse than more information... (you can limit your data in post if necessary)

Oh, it's more crazy than that.

Here are 3 links that 'try' to explain it. 
I'm still looking for a workflow method that completely accounts for any possible error in the whole 16-235/0-255 thing.
 

And:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54884851

And:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3764384

Yikes!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DPStewart said:

Oh, it's more crazy than that.

Here are 3 links that 'try' to explain it. 
I'm still looking for a workflow method that completely accounts for any possible error in the whole 16-235/0-255 thing.
 

Oh dear - thanks... 

Yes, I see: over the web there are many opinions and posts on the whole 16-235/0-255 thing. One (of the many) basic explanations (probably well known to everybody here anyway):
http://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/

In this blog the main take away message seems to be that the information used is the same for both settings and that only the information how to display the image is conveyed to the output-application (if I understand it right): 
http://blog.josephmoore.name/2014/10/29/the-three-most-misunderstood-gh4-settings/

Here at eoshd, Andrew suggests 16-235 (the above link contained there as well):
http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/9218-nx1-16-235-vs-0-255/
http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/8522-samsung-nx1-h265-workflow-suggestions/

If 0-255 using i.e. rocky mountains movie converter (which is equivalent to ffmpeg) leads to clipping then I think I'd rather follow his advice...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 7, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Marco Tecno said:

really gorgeous look. are they out of camera? or, if you did adjustments, which ones?

 

p.s. did you leave rgb untouched in camera?

p.p.s. I remember, when I used gamma c, that shadows were a bit crushed

I made adjustments to the curve. I raised the lower end of the curve until the waveform showed the absolute black was not crushed and then I lowered the highlight end. Pretty much installed my own toe & knee into the curve while leaving the midtone portion of the curve linear. The shadows are crushed with gamma c but I like the look. I left the rgb curve alone as well. Next I will try experimenting with gamma dr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much time on my hands ... 5 days off in a row for Chinese New Year :) Wandered around our apartment all day today ... luckily there's always something half interesting to shoot. Should have probably used some background music but I couldn't be arsed.

EOSHD LOG conversion LUT. Used the Alex Rec 709 profile on FilmConvert (Astia 100) so corrected the flat footage myself first and then put the Alexa profile on top @ around 30-50% for each clip. Used a bit of blur as well. I don't mind this look for street stuff. All hand-held with DIS and IS activated on the 16-50/2-2.8 ... amazingly stable.

I've put 10 clips from today on the Original Camera Files thread a while ago if anyone is interested. It's a 3.3GB DropBox link. All ProRes422 and converted with the EOSHD LogConversion LUT via EditReady.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got a few minutes to do a little "trailer" of the wedding I posted a few pics of a few weeks back, here it is...It was "rushed" because Im really in a very tight schedule lately, hope you guys like it :

Let me know what you guys think !

Ps. I still havent figured out how to render properly, quality is destroyed when I upload it somehow..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Finally got a few minutes to do a little "trailer" of the wedding I posted a few pics of a few weeks back, here it is...It was "rushed" because Im really in a very tight schedule lately, hope you guys like it.

Let me know what you guys think !

Ps. I still havent figured out how to render properly, quality is destroyed when I upload it somehow..

what are your export settings? i feel like the look and colors are there, but you're right, something is getting destroyed when you upload it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Ps. I still havent figured out how to render properly, quality is destroyed when I upload it somehow..

did you see the semi-recent thread by kidzrevil about using grain for the web? Rich101 had an interesting post in it, not a hundred percent it works wonders, but he seems to have thought it through

gorgeous btw, love your stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Liam said:

did you see the semi-recent thread by kidzrevil about using grain for the web? Rich101 had an interesting post in it, not a hundred percent it works wonders, but he seems to have thought it through

gorgeous btw, love your stuff

I remember seeing something like that.

Today Im gonna re-render it when I get home, most detail/sharpness is gone and the grain is mushy as hell and its not doing any justice to the cmera at all.

Thank you :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...