Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum today, but some of you know me from the Blackmagic forums or DVXUser.
I am shooting almost exclusively Blackmagic RAW these days but I got an NX1 for the high frame rates and for the occasion that some client may insist on 4K.

Lots of GREAT GREAT information being traded around on this thread here. These kooky codecs can drive ya mad, so I applaud those of you struggling through what must feel like endless testing. Thank you.

Right off the bat I wanted to add 2 points here:

First - Variable ND's do indeed all use two 'quarter-plates" (polarizers) against each other and that results in color shifts every time. EXCEPT the SLR Magic Vari-ND. This one is the exception. I have two of them and compared to the others I can assure you that the quality and freedom from color shift is far far better. Want some happy? Go there.

Second - I've read through this entire thread and looked at everyone's stills and videos and I just want to shout: "BIT-RATE!"
Meaning that almost all the image quality issues of this camera are coming from its low recording bit-rate. I've been through this exact routine already during the era of the development of the 'hack' for the Panasonic GH2. Dear lord...it's ALL in the bit-rate. I bring this up because if WE ALL get involved in pushing for a hack for the NX1 that will allow for a much higher bit-rate then it will stand a chance of happening. I haven't checked in with the N500 hack status recently, but it sounds like the ball is rolling. Masses of folks getting involved was what pushed the GH2 hack so far so fast.

All these image quality problems were the same on the stock GH2 - macro-blocking, color breakup, etc., and they are ALL gone now with the 150Mbps hack we ended up with. Yeah, you read that right - 150Mbps just for 1080p. Yeah, that's a card eater, but that doesn't matter anymore at today's memory prices, and watching all those problems vanish was just so delightful. 

Anyhoo, continue getting down wit' your bad selves!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Tried the Impulz Cineon to Fuji FPE (D65) LUT with the EOSHD LOG conversion LUT. With the two Samsung S Lenses. Used Filmconvert for some grain and changed the setting to 35mm Academy and also gave each scene some blur. Going to try out my Nikon MF lenses next week after getting the ND throttle.

03.thumb.jpg.58c9ecebbce23b7e1aef6767afa

03a.thumb.jpg.e22edb45ad3bae29f35cf7320e

04.thumb.jpg.e737442aaab16b2c6bde1ba85f1

04a.thumb.jpg.15c57493bae1d891005a57a3e7

02.thumb.jpg.ddb90c2690a0465e509f7e70d8f

02a.thumb.jpg.e5c8c9513efb04b372ffa1612d

Tried the Impulz Cineon to Fuji FPE (D65) LUT with the EOSHD LOG conversion LUT. With the two Samsung S Lenses. Used Filmconvert for some grain and changed the setting to 35mm Academy and also gave each scene some blur. Going to try out my Nikon MF lenses next week after getting the ND throttle.

03.thumb.jpg.58c9ecebbce23b7e1aef6767afa

03a.thumb.jpg.e22edb45ad3bae29f35cf7320e

04.thumb.jpg.e737442aaab16b2c6bde1ba85f1

04a.thumb.jpg.15c57493bae1d891005a57a3e7

02.thumb.jpg.ddb90c2690a0465e509f7e70d8f

02a.thumb.jpg.e5c8c9513efb04b372ffa1612d

Looking good dude ! Love the skintones on the last shot

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum today, but some of you know me from the Blackmagic forums or DVXUser.
I am shooting almost exclusively Blackmagic RAW these days but I got an NX1 for the high frame rates and for the occasion that some client may insist on 4K.

Lots of GREAT GREAT information being traded around on this thread here. These kooky codecs can drive ya mad, so I applaud those of you struggling through what must feel like endless testing. Thank you.

First - Variable ND's do indeed all use two 'quarter-plates" (polarizers) against each other and that results in color shifts every time. EXCEPT the SLR Magic Vari-ND. This one is the exception. I have two of them and compared to the others I can assure you that the quality and freedom from color shift is far far better. Want some happy? Go there.

Second - I've read through this entire thread and looked at everyone's stills and videos and I just want to shout: "BIT-RATE!"
Meaning that almost all the image quality issues of this camera are coming from its low recording bit-rate. I've been through this exact routine already during the era of the development of the 'hack' for the Panasonic GH2. Dear lord...it's ALL in the bit-rate. I bring this up because if WE ALL get involved in pushing for a hack for the NX1 that will allow for a much higher bit-rate then it will stand a chance of happening. I haven't checked in with the N500 hack status recently, but it sounds like the ball is rolling. Masses of folks getting involved was what pushed the GH2 hack so far so fast.

All these image quality problems were the same on the stock GH2 - macro-blocking, color breakup, etc., and they are ALL gone now with the 150Mbps hack we ended up with. Yeah, you read that right - 150Mbps just for 1080p. Yeah, that's a card eater, but that doesn't matter anymore at today's memory prices, and watching all those problems vanish was just so delightful. 

amen and amen. How can we help push development? Personally, I'd love to be able to not rely on the shogun, but I really enjoy the higher bit rate (among other things like false colors and luts), not to mention the HDMI port seems to be much more fickle than other cameras... I digress... Yes let's push that hack, but how?

Hey all,

im down to crowd fund a hack. We are just missing one key element : a hacker

Yes ... A summary of your findings in one of the first posts would be great. Its hard for new users to read the 20 pages ... 

vivid

saturation : -5 or -4

contrast : 0

sharpness : -10

hue : +9

luma range : 16-235 if transcoding 0-255 if editing native files in premiere

master black : 0

expose to the right and use over exposure guide to properly expose important details

Handy tip for testing setups, filters, lighting - without the transcoding step.

Shoot some footage; playback in camera and pause at the frame you want to examine. Hit the Fn button on the camera back; the camera burns a JPEG of the frame.

I've played with this and the JPEG is dead-on with the footage (My camera is set for the best and biggest JPEGs, don't know if this affects the frame capture). Really handy for testing non-motion related stuff without running clips through processing. 

Handy tip for testing setups, filters, lighting - without the transcoding step.

Shoot some footage; playback in camera and pause at the frame you want to examine. Hit the Fn button on the camera back; the camera burns a JPEG of the frame.

I've played with this and the JPEG is dead-on with the footage (My camera is set for the best and biggest JPEGs, don't know if this affects the frame capture). Really handy for testing non-motion related stuff without running clips through processing. 

Brilliant!

Anyone notice major moiré/aliasing like effect when shooting 4k ? Im noticing it even more when my shots aren't locked down like the image is oversharpened or something !

funny thing is I don't see it in any oF Andrew Reid's or Albert Fast nx1 footage

are you turning your sharpness all the way down to -10?