Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

Here are the results of internal vs external.

because quicktime (external) takes 0-255 and makes it 16-235 or whatever I adjusted the internally recorded one in premiere from 0-255 to 16-235 to emulate what was happening in the shogun. this doesn't affect the quality of either file as all the information is still there, but it helps them appear to match better (it's actually not exact... which is odd).

so here is the scene as a whole (Shogun then Internal):

NX1_Test_External.thumb.jpg.2e142128549bNX1_Test_Internal.thumb.jpg.f35c7702eba9

here are two power windows (from speedgrade) around the lightbulb and around the statues on the chair to demonstrate highlight/shadow information

NX1_Test3_Ext_Highlight_Shadow_Recovery.NX1_Test3_Int_Highlight_Shadow_Recovery.

and then just a 300% crop comparison (not perfect as he was slightly leaned back, but on this wide of a lens the sharpness shouldn't vary too much)

NX1_Test3_Ext_Detail.thumb.jpg.2e17da626NX1_Test3_Int_Detail.thumb.jpg.b6493f9b8

jpegs aren't a great way to judge, so i've attached original files:

SAM_0818.MP4 <-internal file

SHOGUN_S001_S001_T004.MOV <-external file

Int_Ext Test.zip <-tiffs

my thoughts:

first, i expected conforming the internally shot footage to 16-235 would make them virtually identical (it did not). when it came in originally, it was very crunchy, but 16-235 made it actually a little flatter than the prores, which I am under the impression takes 0-255 signals and clamps them to 16-235 already. so, not sure what to make of that.

as far as quality goes... the difference is not huge. i would say externally the macro-blocking is smaller and almost appears as less-fine noise, while internally its a bit more exaggerated and chunky (the shadow recovery demonstrates this the best). 

highlight detail isn't much different, with maybe a slight edge going to the external codec.

(EDIT) I just noticed according the JPEGs and TIFFs you'd probably come to a different conclusion, not sure why the tiff export did that, but I can assure you in speedgrade there is more detail. i'll upload the internal and external file now for viewing.

while the color kind of appears to be a different,  that's mostly just the not-quite-matched 16-235 making the internal a little flatter... it's really very similar when you end up grading it.

detail (300% crop) isn't much different between the two.

personally if I didn't already own a shogun, i'm not sure this test would convince me it's needed, though if you absolutely wanted the best image... i suppose it gives it a bit of an edge.

Thanks for this test, definitely shows me I don't need to invest in a high end recorder for this camera. I actually prefer the skin tone off the internal file.

Also I don't think the SHOGUN upload is working. It won't play after I have downloaded it and it is showing it as a smaller file compared to the internal one.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for this test, definitely shows me I don't need to invest in a high end recorder for this camera. I actually prefer the skin tone off the internal file.

Also I don't think the SHOGUN upload is working. It won't play after I have downloaded it and it is showing it as a smaller file compared to the internal one.

I'll upload to an external site a little later.

took the nx1 on a first test run this afternoon, not confortable with video grading yet and I noticed too much red and magenta in the skintones highlights so far.

colors "feel very thin" to me already when grading so I will not lower the saturation in camera, happy with the DR and details.

All available light, should receive some led panels soon that will make things more interesting. All the same lens, Nikon 20mm f 2.8D

4kdci, gamma C, maximum black level, minimum contrast, minimum sharpness. I will try to upload to youtube in 4k.

test_01.jpg

test_02.jpg

test_03.jpgtest_04.jpg

colors "feel very thin" to me already when grading so I will not lower the saturation in camera, happy with the DR and details.

4kdci, gamma C, maximum black level, minimum contrast, minimum sharpness. I will try to upload to youtube in 4k.

Lowering contrast breaks the colors. Leave contrast at 0 and you will be much happier with the camera. I too tried contrast -10 when I got the camera and the results were unusable.

You can always blur the footage slightly. Easier to have the information and decrease detail than to sharpen detail that is not there. 

absolutely. I have diffusers for when it's absolutely necessary to do it in camera. It helps the compression. I pushed the cam to it's limits shooting a water fountain at high aperture, it couldnt handle that detail. Since then I've been using tiffen black diffusion fx in strong grades. Only downfall to that is idk how the footage looks on a big screen !

I really like the dr though. But I will definitely do it and compare. Appreciate the advice

it all depends on the scene. i made a super flat gammaDR profile and got some amazing results... but it only worked in scenes with no real gradients....once a gradient is introduced it falls apart quickly. i have not 100% made up my mind yet but I'm thinking I'll lose the 2-3 stops of DR that a flat profile gives on this camera for the sturdiness of the image when shot regularly. 

took the nx1 on a first test run this afternoon, not confortable with video grading yet and I noticed too much red and magenta in the skintones highlights so far.

All available light, should receive some led panels soon that will make things more interesting. All the same lens, Nikon 20mm f 2.8D

test_01.jpg

test_02.jpg

test_03.jpgtest_04.jpg

do you notice any macroblocking in the shadows when using such a high master black level ? Shots look good bro

it all depends on the scene. i made a super flat gammaDR profile and got some amazing results... but it only worked in scenes with no real gradients....once a gradient is introduced it falls apart quickly. i have not 100% made up my mind yet but I'm thinking I'll lose the 2-3 stops of DR that a flat profile gives on this camera for the sturdiness of the image when shot regularly. 

the standard and vivid profile gives great results. idk if it's the internal codec or the curve they use but it hates areas of low contrast !

I've been thinking about adjusting the black and contrast levels on a per scene basis. That would make the most sense, no need to squeeze the DR when not needed, and the same numbers will not be ideal for different DR situations anyways.

do you notice any macroblocking in the shadows when using such a high master black level ?

yes definitively. with a little noise and an 1080p delivery it is a non issue though. I personally plan to deliver everything in full HD with this cam anyways. 

Learning a lot about the NX1 from this thread. Must be the best resource for this cam on the internet.

Tried to make my footage a bit more filmy today. Used the EOSHD Log Conversion LUT with a DELUT (Norwich) over the top. NX1 & 16-50/2-2.8.

01a.thumb.jpg.01b5ca260603bd4e81dfeb6b63

01b.thumb.jpg.c8dcebbda999d963edc717d692

02a.thumb.jpg.daa64730d53d42943d5f7a08bc

02b.thumb.jpg.446de324f419b929b76a9069db

03a.thumb.jpg.7de62ecb1ab4b498d8f072b98a

03b.thumb.jpg.598daf02cae19a1f555b280579

man I don't trust these 8bit to 10bit LOG Luts ! Did you notice any compression errors or weird stuff going on in the shadows ?