Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

On 2/10/2016 at 3:58 PM, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Finally got a few minutes to do a little "trailer" of the wedding I posted a few pics of a few weeks back, here it is...It was "rushed" because Im really in a very tight schedule lately, hope you guys like it :

Let me know what you guys think !

Ps. I still havent figured out how to render properly, quality is destroyed when I upload it somehow..

Uprez it to 120 mbps in CBR (constant bitrate) 1440p then upload it. This will give you better results.

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Just did a small video on some shots I had lying around, still testing rendering, but rendering in 4k def. makes it a lot better, still highly compressed though. Anyway hope you guys like it, not much love was put into grading on this one, unfortunately.

Haven't seen it in 4k but damn those shots are beautiful. The composition more than anything is jaw dropping. Mind sharing your settings ? 

Great work as always man 

I solved my macro blocking issue at low iso. I simply changed my luma range from 0-255 to 16-235 and it made a huge difference. 0-255 gave the impression that there was detail hidden in the deep shadows and bright highlights. I feel like the way h.265 or simply the nx1 handles 0-255 range is ineffective. 16-235 keeps it all in a usable range and you don't have to use a curve to bring the highs down or to raise the shadows. I guess how the codec compresses the 16-235 range helps with the macroblocking. I then took the files in rockymountains and converted to prorres 444 and it graded beautifully even with a heavy LUT like deluts 

On 2/26/2016 at 0:32 PM, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Just did a small video on some shots I had lying around, still testing rendering, but rendering in 4k def. makes it a lot better, still highly compressed though. Anyway hope you guys like it, not much love was put into grading on this one, unfortunately.

Looks awesome, man! What did you use to do that opening 10 second tracking shot through the trees? Handheld or on a dolly of some sort? GREAT SHOTS!

7 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I solved my macro blocking issue at low iso. I simply changed my luma range from 0-255 to 16-235 and it made a huge difference. 0-255 gave the impression that there was detail hidden in the deep shadows and bright highlights. I feel like the way h.265 or simply the nx1 handles 0-255 range is ineffective. 16-235 keeps it all in a usable range and you don't have to use a curve to bring the highs down or to raise the shadows. I guess how the codec compresses the 16-235 range helps with the macroblocking. I then took the files in rockymountains and converted to prorres 444 and it graded beautifully even with a heavy LUT like deluts 

Yup.

I'm currently just using Andrew's NX1 LOG converter and his whole recommended setup - no alterations. Then I add an Osiris or Canon/Arri LUT and I'm done. (or a few customized BMD LUTs I have.)

After moving from Panasonics and Canons to Blackmagic RAW I'm just burnt out on battling compressed codecs and picture profiles and all the zillion possible settings.

There are no "settings" on the Blackmagic cameras really. You shoot at the native ISO or 1-stop above or below pretty much only. The you just white balance and set your exposure and shoot. You either like how the camera looks or you don't. I absolutely frikkin' LOVE how the BMD cameras look so I'm DONE.

That awesome Hong-Kong video that Dean posted a few pages back convinced me to try Andrew's package. I'm sold.
It's really so good that I'm not interested in doing any further nit-picking. 
I LIKE that look and it can cut with the BMD footage so I'm happy. It does what I need it to do, and it does it reliably.

I suppose I would still be interested in other picture profiles or settings on the NX1 if it was my 'A' camera, but it's not. I need it to cut with the Blackmagics.
Plus I just personally REALLY like the look it gives in general. 
What a relief, ya know?

Marco - Andrew's NX1-to-LOG converter goes first. 
Then it depends on how you're applying your output LUT.
Sometimes you'll have to "correct" your image from the flat LOG image to a more correct contrast and saturation before applying an output LUT. But sometimes YES, you can just add the output LUT as the next step. FilmConvert for instance, uses presets that take you directly from a Canon LOG space to your output LUT. (And about zillion other source presets.)

What I meant about "no alterations" was the NX1 in-camera settings Andrew lays out in his guide.

On 27/02/2016 at 11:08 AM, kidzrevil said:

Haven't seen it in 4k but damn those shots are beautiful. The composition more than anything is jaw dropping. Mind sharing your settings ? 

Great work as always man 

Thank you :D My settings were the same as before, havent changed my in-cam settings =) 

On 27/02/2016 at 3:22 PM, fletchCineBootCamps said:

Was this shot on NX1?  Fine shots whatever it was shot on.

All shots are from the NX1 ! Thank you :D

15 hours ago, Brad Bjornstad said:

Looks awesome, man! What did you use to do that opening 10 second tracking shot through the trees? Handheld or on a dolly of some sort? GREAT SHOTS!

Thanks :D Everything was shot handheld, I rarely use dollys, they are usually too troublesome for me to carry/use.

16 hours ago, DPStewart said:

I agree. Andrew's NX1-to-LOG along with the suggested camera settings are perfect for me. The LUT works really well and makes a great base for grading. I have absolutely no interest in testing other settings any more. The added bonus is also that the suggested in-cam settings are the ones that always looked the most natural to me as well. If I didn't want to us the LOG LUT, I'd shoot with these settings anyway. Can't loose really :) 

The LOG LUT makes the NX1 much more enjoyable for me to use.

11 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

Dp, let me understand better. You shoot with Andrew's settings, then apply his 2log lut and then, with NO other adjustments, you apply osiris?

I've used the OSIRIS LUTs a few times with the NX1 LOG LUT and rarely can you ever just apply the LUT over the top and that's it ... there's always some tweaking to do before & after. But that would be the same as applying OSIRIS or any other LUT over the top of LOG footage straight out of a cam.

I'm not super experienced, but I've had a BMPCC and a AR7ii before and I find using the LOG LUT on the NX1 far more easier to grade than using the BMPCC's "film" or the A7Rii's SLOG. This has noting to do with how good the other two cameras LOG profiles are, it has more to do with the fact that I'm just not good enough to expose BMD's "film" or the A7Rii's SLOG in a consistent manner and as a result l always end up with lots of shitty looking files with these two cams !! With the NX1 I can just expose normally and then use the LOG LUT afterwards and have something pretty flat and well exposed to grade. 

18 hours ago, DPStewart said:

Yup.

I'm currently just using Andrew's NX1 LOG converter and his whole recommended setup - no alterations. Then I add an Osiris or Canon/Arri LUT and I'm done. (or a few customized BMD LUTs I have.)

After moving from Panasonics and Canons to Blackmagic RAW I'm just burnt out on battling compressed codecs and picture profiles and all the zillion possible settings.

There are no "settings" on the Blackmagic cameras really. You shoot at the native ISO or 1-stop above or below pretty much only. The you just white balance and set your exposure and shoot. You either like how the camera looks or you don't. I absolutely frikkin' LOVE how the BMD cameras look so I'm DONE.

That awesome Hong-Kong video that Dean posted a few pages back convinced me to try Andrew's package. I'm sold.
I LIKE that look and it can cut with the BMD footage so I'm happy. It does what I need it to do, and it does it reliably.

I suppose I would still be interested in other picture profiles or settings on the NX1 if it was my 'A' camera, but it's not. I need it to cut with the Blackmagics.
Plus I just personally REALLY like the look it gives in general. 
What a relief, ya know?

yeah dude I never shot with the blackmagics but if its anything like shooting raw with a stills camera I can understand how much of a relief that is when shooting. I'm tired of wrestling with these settings too but I am coming closer to establishing my own ideal settings. This camera is a lot harder to dial in a custom look than what it has been for me with a gh4 or canon but it's not impossible and I feel like I am NEARLY there. The 16-235 luma range setting has been a big breakthrough for me.

Although I am still converting to LOG with 8bit color I really am enjoying the looks you guys are getting out of the camera. Currently 0 contrast with reduced saturation and the color balance at default has been giving me better results in post. I just apply an impulz lut and it works way better now that the camera is set to 16-235

• Super Members

Stoked to get my second NX1 this week. Meanwhile Im fiddling with old footage.
Its gamma DR and everything dial down half way accept sharpness thats all the way down. Then some grain in post really smooths the edges.
(it gets messed up again on the web of course)

9 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Its gamma DR and everything dial down half way accept sharpness thats all the way down. Then some grain in post really smooths the edges.

Great to hear you have another NX1. Looking forward to hearing your comments on the camera :)

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Marco Tecno said:

Mattias, great colors. I'd like to become as good in grading :-P 

It was just Osiris, curve and grain. So nothing special. Im not very good at grading. But Im usualy pleased with the result.

Think my NX1 footage vill look better this time around. Im moving in to a period of more saturation. Which suites the NX1.

The A7sii that Ive decided to return is sweet in every way accept vivid colors. Two years ago we would have been a pefect match. Might be different when the a7siii comes out, this weekend... ;)

8 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

what kinda grain did you use ? Lens ? damn this looks really good