Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

the debut of the Samsung NX1 they showed the world that a new challenger has entered the 4k market. The specs spoke for itself and the stunning resolution & color reproduction spoke even louder. The camera did have a rough start but quickly addressed the issues with constant firmware updates. Image quality aside the most revolutionary feature of the camera is the Tizen OS. Samsung has releases the open source code to the NX line of cameras to the public and rumor is they have reached out to the Magic Lantern developers. This is great news for many reasons. 

1) this is the first time I have seen a camera manufacturer openly embrace the hacker community. The same community that has made Canon cameras so popular in the video arena and has pushed the GH2 into new heights.

2) this could inspire other manufacturers such as Panasonic, Canon, Sony & Fuji to release the open source codes to their future camera bodies

3) if a hack for the NX1 & NX500 were to go live we can see a tremendous increase in image quality and yet another tool to capture stunning images on a budget in a professional environment.

More than anything for an NX1 hack we need to double the existing bitrates. The camera supports high speed SD cards (SDXC UHS-II/U3 @300mbs) so it would make sense to increase the bitrate by at least double to avoid/eliminate macro blocking in the shadows and at high frame rates. Last but not least completely disabling in camera sharpening and noise reduction will help rid us of the electronic look. 

I as well as many other Samsung users on EOSHD and other forums would love to see this hack go live. If you feel the same and in the future will not have a problem with helping us crowd fund the project simply comment with : "+1". 
The more support we get the more likely this is to happen.

Please do not comment with why this shouldn't or couldn't happen. This is not what this thread is for. It is a show of support for a hack. Thank you for your time ! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am definitely in support of this. Including a donation, the man that hacked the NX300, he is doing some interesting things and may be our guy if we want to throw money at him:

http://***URL removed***/forums/post/57133589

If we can get 240 fps at a bitrate of 200... holy shit....

HDMI can output 480, 576, 720 and 1080 (no 2160) but there appears to be support for up to 240fps (at least as a value in a table).

Also, file names nx_cs.adj is definitely searched for on SD card (also alt.adj, nx_dev.adj, paf_adj_restore.adj, etc). Also, iperf is used for testing Wifi 

Regarding sensor modes (for video): FHD, Cinema, Video60, Video120, Video240, VideoHFull, VideoFull, ModeQHD, UD, UD_Crop1, UD_Crop2, 720P60
If UD is UHD there are at least three different crops, tecno will love this 
There seem to be 7 movie modes 0 - 6 (0:UHD/1:UHD_D/2:FHD/3:CINEMA/4:HD/5:VGA/6:QVGA) - can someone check if they are all present in menus? (**two** UHD + CINEMA - it that 4k?)

Frame rates go from 4fps to 240fps in many increments. Pixels can be read in 10, 12 and 14 bits.

There are a bunch of functions that (it looks like that to me) call directly HW functions of DRIMe5,
all prefixed with d5_ like d5_ep_3dlut_op_init (oh, yeah, there is code for loading custom LUTs), d5_ep_top_change_jpeg_moa_for_conti_cap, d5_ipc_set_dram_addr, etc.

I am definitely in support of this. Including a donation, the man that hacked the NX300, he is doing some interesting things and may be our guy if we want to throw money at him:

http://***URL removed***/forums/post/57133589

If we can get 240 fps at a bitrate of 200... holy shit....

HDMI can output 480, 576, 720 and 1080 (no 2160) but there appears to be support for up to 240fps (at least as a value in a table).

Also, file names nx_cs.adj is definitely searched for on SD card (also alt.adj, nx_dev.adj, paf_adj_restore.adj, etc). Also, iperf is used for testing Wifi 

Regarding sensor modes (for video): FHD, Cinema, Video60, Video120, Video240, VideoHFull, VideoFull, ModeQHD, UD, UD_Crop1, UD_Crop2, 720P60
If UD is UHD there are at least three different crops, tecno will love this 
There seem to be 7 movie modes 0 - 6 (0:UHD/1:UHD_D/2:FHD/3:CINEMA/4:HD/5:VGA/6:QVGA) - can someone check if they are all present in menus? (**two** UHD + CINEMA - it that 4k?)

Frame rates go from 4fps to 240fps in many increments. Pixels can be read in 10, 12 and 14 bits.

There are a bunch of functions that (it looks like that to me) call directly HW functions of DRIMe5,
all prefixed with d5_ like d5_ep_3dlut_op_init (oh, yeah, there is code for loading custom LUTs), d5_ep_top_change_jpeg_moa_for_conti_cap, d5_ipc_set_dram_addr, etc.

lets reach out to him ! Sent you a private message bro

+1 - by the way, Samsung's support of hacking was that they released an SDK for camera control - nothing deeper than that. So someone could potentially develop more remote control apps or keep them coming when Samsung abandons theirs.

I wonder - rumor mill was that Samsung NX engineers have been transferred to various divisions. Would be cool if someone had an in with Samsung (journalist or filmmaker, I dunno) and a funded project could actually fine a software engineer who worked on the NX firmware, and hire them as an engineer or advisor. Seems like that would be a more direct path to a useful product. It's a giant company though, but hey, place an ad in a Korean trade publication??

Other than that, see if anyone at ML has dug into the camera - someone experienced may have some insights into the structure of the code and how difficult it could be.

+1 - by the way, Samsung's support of hacking was that they released an SDK for camera control - nothing deeper than that. So someone could potentially develop more remote control apps or keep them coming when Samsung abandons theirs.

I wonder - rumor mill was that Samsung NX engineers have been transferred to various divisions. Would be cool if someone had an in with Samsung (journalist or filmmaker, I dunno) and a funded project could actually fine a software engineer who worked on the NX firmware, and hire them as an engineer or advisor. Seems like that would be a more direct path to a useful product. It's a giant company though, but hey, place an ad in a Korean trade publication??

Other than that, see if anyone at ML has dug into the camera - someone experienced may have some insights into the structure of the code and how difficult it could be.

there is a guy who has been featured on this blog who has hacked an nx camera before enabling things like longer record times. We don't need new features just alteration to existing ones. The one at the top of the list is upping the bitrate to 200mbps-300mbps since the camera supportd UHS-II

http://www.eoshd.com/2015/11/there-is-now-a-samsung-nx-hack-by-a-guy-who-looks-like-steve-jobs/

there is a guy who has been featured on this blog who has hacked an nx camera before enabling things like longer record times. We don't need new features just alteration to existing ones. The one at the top of the list is upping the bitrate to 200mbps-300mbps since the camera supportd UHS-II

http://www.eoshd.com/2015/11/there-is-now-a-samsung-nx-hack-by-a-guy-who-looks-like-steve-jobs/

I really, really, really want a wired video trigger, without fussing with cel phones and tables. Just push a button. The minute you start using a crane, it gets pretty dang handy...

I really, really, really want a wired video trigger, without fussing with cel phones and tables. Just push a button. The minute you start using a crane, it gets pretty dang handy...

Super useful - but I don't think something like that could be added within a software hack. It would need some analog input that can safely take an incoming voltage. I don't think the NX1 has that.

There's a tiny chance the external Mic input could be redirected, but that's a long shot.