do you think the GH2 will come down in price?

zaz

I'm curious what you guys think.

Since it looks like there is a distinct possibility that the GH3 will indeed be inferior in video quality, what will happen to our beloved GH2? A boom in demand? Will retailers quickly burn through their backstock, only to see prices on the secondary market climb higher and higher? Or will the mainstream simply push ahead and leave it forgotten to the past?

Pending the actual delivered state of the GH3, will anyone here go out and pickup a backup gh2?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='gravitatemediagroup' timestamp='1352094545' post='21036']
where are you getting your information? the "preproduction" footage being shot on the 12-35?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/1481-gh3-vs-hacked-gh2-quick-handheld-comparison/page__hl__gh3"]http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/1481-gh3-vs-hacked-gh2-quick-handheld-comparison/page__hl__gh3[/url]
Not the most controlled test, but I felt the gh2 easily beat the preproduction gh3. Lens used was the Voigtlander 25/.95

This is probably an oxymoron comment, since the topic suggest you're on a budget... - i would save up for the Gh3 though if it were a possibility. The only thing that truly sucks right now is the possibility that it has moire/aliasing issues... There are videos that have it, and others that don't. That's a pretty big deal though with a lot of people regarding whether they'll pull the trigger on one or not, and unfortunately, no substantial answers. "Almost" all footage shot with the gh3 on the web right now has been with the Panasonic 12-35x lens. I'm not sure how a lens would introduce aliasing artifacts into an image, but the other footage shot with the Voigtlander 25mm, and "Genesis" with the Olympus, SLR glass showed none. In all other facets though, the Gh3 wins... If they clear the aliasing issue, then i'd do it in a heartbeat, since eventually it will be hacked. It's got much faster processing now also, so game on..

[quote name='Germy1979' timestamp='1352125130' post='21064']
This is probably an oxymoron comment, since the topic suggest you're on a budget... - i would save up for the Gh3 though if it were a possibility. The only thing that truly sucks right now is the possibility that it has moire/aliasing issues... There are videos that have it, and others that don't. That's a pretty big deal though with a lot of people regarding whether they'll pull the trigger on one or not, and unfortunately, no substantial answers. "Almost" all footage shot with the gh3 on the web right now has been with the Panasonic 12-35x lens. I'm not sure how a lens would introduce aliasing artifacts into an image, but the other footage shot with the Voigtlander 25mm, and "Genesis" with the Olympus, SLR glass showed none. In all other facets though, the Gh3 wins... If they clear the aliasing issue, then i'd do it in a heartbeat, since eventually it will be hacked. It's got much faster processing now also, so game on..
[/quote]

I thought the same way, but Karim's video, the one in the topic the OP posted, does show moiré in spite of having been shot with the Voigtlander as well. It worries me a bit.

On the other hand, Andrew posted this on Twitter: "[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Panasonic GH3 is an amazing piece of technology, so far ahead of DSLRs in many respects not just video. Full report this weekend…"[/background][/size][/font][/color]

I have a little more hope now. Unless he's embraced moiré. :P

[quote name='charlie_orozco' timestamp='1352131084' post='21066']

I thought the same way, but Karim's video, the one in the topic the OP posted, does show moiré in spite of having been shot with the Voigtlander as well. It worries me a bit.

On the other hand, Andrew posted this on Twitter: "[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Panasonic GH3 is an amazing piece of technology, so far ahead of DSLRs in many respects not just video. Full report this weekend…"[/background][/size][/font][/color]

I have a little more hope now. Unless he's embraced moiré. :P
[/quote]

Lol... I doubt it. That is a good sign though...

Sometimes when I worked in a TV studio having a guest whose top was causing aliasing by slightly defocusing the shot you could stop it.
It was often a toss up between which looked worse a slightly soft shot or an article of clothing aliasing.

I presume the test videos shot using a lens like the Voightlander, using a very shallow depth of field, are removing the aliasing from certain objects/materials by being slightly soft in focus.

[quote name='charlie_orozco' timestamp='1352131084' post='21066']
Unless he's embraced moiré. :P
[/quote]
Lol yes! "just need to add a moire filter in AE and.. done!"

The way I see it, US $1300 is just about halfway to a bmc. The BMC at the moment, being the end of the line for MFT. Why not just save a little longer and go for it?

Personally I had been ready to pull the trigger on a BMC except that it would necessitate a hefty investment in storage and media. skipping the gh3 more than pays for that. Plus, a hacked gh2 with the same slr magic, voigtlander, contax, etc. lenses will make a damn good B camera for such a setup. Hell, it wouldn't be too crazy to even get a second bmc///

Sure, a GH3 would be nice, and maybe down the line it will make sense for me personally. But when I think about investments in gear that would bring new abilities to the table, the bmc is obviously leaps and bounds more forward thinking than the "GH1.5".

HAHAHA LOL, i just made that up - you can have that one guys

The problem with moire and aliasing unless you film everything with a top notch monitor you never know when its going to hit you. An audience will soon be taken out of the story as soon as they see it and will spell amatuer. If the GH3 has this I will be giving it a wide berth unless they bring it down in price to GH2 levels and then I'd only use it for non professional use because it will save space on my computer.

Ok, lets be clear here - the GH3 WILL have moire. But the GH2 actually does have it as well. any camera that does not have a randomized sensor pattern (aka, any digital camera) will have moire. anything displayed on a digital monitor will as well. the way moire works is that when a pattern being captured becomes finer than the capture (or display) grid data is lost, and when the pattern being captured has a distinct geometric ordering (bricks, stripes, textiles), the data being lost, starts to line up with gaps in the grid. (sorry, i dont know any technical terms. also, perhaps I am completely wrong here, if so plz send me 100xPM's/ban.)

You can assume that any geometric pattern will moire when it becomes tight/fine enough (when it gets small inough in your composition. a checkered shirt with a 2cm x 2cm pattern will not moire when you are close to it, but move back far enough and BAM moire noir, son.) I guess knowing just what the limits are takes some damn experience, as its fully dependent on both the capture and display resolution/settings.

[quote name='zaz' timestamp='1352197698' post='21132']
Ok, lets be clear here - the GH3 WILL have moire. But the GH2 actually does have it as well. any camera that does not have a randomized sensor pattern (aka, any digital camera) will have moire. anything displayed on a digital monitor will as well. the way moire works is that when a pattern being captured becomes finer than the capture (or display) grid data is lost, and when the pattern being captured has a distinct geometric ordering (bricks, stripes, textiles), the data being lost, starts to line up with gaps in the grid. (sorry, i dont know any technical terms. also, perhaps I am completely wrong here, if so plz send me 100xPM's/ban.)

You can assume that any geometric pattern will moire when it becomes tight/fine enough (when it gets small inough in your composition. a checkered shirt with a 2cm x 2cm pattern will not moire when you are close to it, but move back far enough and BAM moire noir, son.) I guess knowing just what the limits are takes some damn experience, as its fully dependent on both the capture and display resolution/settings.
[/quote]

The GH2 doesn't have moiré. It has a tad bit of aliasing, that isn't really noticeable unless you use some electronic MFT lenses that activate lens distortion correction.
Really, I pay a lot of attention to it and mostly use legacy manual lenses, and don't ever see it.

Well, back ontopic;Here in Holland the GH2 (with the 14-42mm) is still at the same price level for over a year and I think it's going up a bit as it becomes scarce (only one online shop has it in stock) [url="http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/266538/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh2k-+-lumix-g-vario-14-42mm-f35-56-asph-mega-o-punt-i-punt-s-zwart.html"]http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/266538/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh2k-+-lumix-g-vario-14-42mm-f35-56-asph-mega-o-punt-i-punt-s-zwart.html[/url]. But then again, we'll have to wait untill the GH3 comes in stock for reasonable comparisons.