Lumix S9

Davide DB

34 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

6. not every camera has to be for every market, this def. Targets schmucks like me who don’t want to color grade 🤭 

I think this is a key point - colour grading is a daunting and time-consuming thing that most won't want to do (or learn to do).  

I disagree that this isn't for content creators, I think that's exactly who it's for, but the point stands.

I got into video around 2016 and at the time the people here were all about LUTs and profiles, CineD in Panasonic cameras, the Leeming LUT etc.  At that time I didn't see anyone talking about colour management, and although Resolve was the same price then as it is now, it was a very different tool back then.  It had only recently had the Edit page added, and round-tripping from PP/FCPX to Resolve and back isn't for the faint-of-heart.

There are still lots of people who don't want to colour grade, for a variety of reasons, but now it's not a choice between a few profiles or a few LUTs, or spending the time and effort to learn colour grading.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Panasonic UK have two S9 kits listed on their website, one with the 20-60mm f3.5-5.6, the other with the 28-200mm f4-7.1 Macro OIS lens (but no price as yet for that kit).

Comparing the sizes of both on the S9, the 28-200mm kit looks like it might be a nice FF travel cam combination at just under 900g total weight including battery. According to Panasonic W x H x D is 126 x 73.9 x 140.1 mm with the 28-200 (the 20-60 is just 6mm shorter and 63g lighter):

325908302_S9lenscomparison1.thumb.png.e8462e4b48c3dffe1fdf034bcbdf6179.png

Amateur Photographer magazine in the UK has estimated the length of the upcoming compact 18-40mm F4.5-6.3 at around 40mm, which is about half the length of the 20-60mm.

13 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Panasonic UK have two S9 kits listed on their website, one with the 20-60mm f3.5-5.6, the other with the 28-200mm f4-7.1 Macro OIS lens (but no price as yet for that kit).

Comparing the sizes of both on the S9, the 28-200mm kit looks like it might be a nice FF travel cam combination at just under 900g total weight including battery. According to Panasonic W x H x D is 126 x 73.9 x 140.1 mm with the 28-200 (the 20-60 is just 6mm shorter and 63g lighter):

325908302_S9lenscomparison1.thumb.png.e8462e4b48c3dffe1fdf034bcbdf6179.png

Amateur Photographer magazine in the UK has estimated the length of the upcoming compact 18-40mm F4.5-6.3 at around 40mm, which is about half the length of the 20-60mm.

Very interesting...

The 12-35mm F2.8 and 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 are basically the same size, and when combined with the GX85 are about 120mm deep, so 140.1 mm deep is perfectly acceptable for a body + 7X zoom lens setup.

An 18-40mm lens would be a very useful one as well, especially if it's shorter.  I'm a big fan of having an ultra-wide, and although I've got 16mm and 15mm equivalent primes for my MFT cameras, 18mm is likely just wide enough for almost everything I have come across.

Having some smaller lenses still, other than the prime just released would be the final piece of that puzzle I'd say.

Maybe the lenses to back up such a small camera body will actually arrive with it.  Very encouraging.

1 hour ago, kye said:

I think this is a key point - colour grading is a daunting and time-consuming thing that most won't want to do (or learn to do).  

I disagree that this isn't for content creators, I think that's exactly who it's for, but the point stands.

I got into video around 2016 and at the time the people here were all about LUTs and profiles, CineD in Panasonic cameras, the Leeming LUT etc.  At that time I didn't see anyone talking about colour management, and although Resolve was the same price then as it is now, it was a very different tool back then.  It had only recently had the Edit page added, and round-tripping from PP/FCPX to Resolve and back isn't for the faint-of-heart.

There are still lots of people who don't want to colour grade, for a variety of reasons, but now it's not a choice between a few profiles or a few LUTs, or spending the time and effort to learn colour grading.

100^ on point. To think the only way to legit be into camera and video is to learn color grading is quite odd. I’m going to die someday. Let me have optimal color or near optimal with minimal work - for the platform of socials and YouTube. That’s it. This camera is a massive step in that direction. Panasonic is really stepping up whereas canon is just like huh

1 hour ago, kye said:

The 12-35mm F2.8 and 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 are basically the same size, and when combined with the GX85 are about 120mm deep, so 140.1 mm deep is perfectly acceptable for a body + 7X zoom lens setup.

Exactly (GX85 + 14-140mm is my current travel cam).

Versus the GX85 or GX9, you get 24MP stills, PDAF, a dual-gain sensor with good high-ISO performance, 4k50p/60p (albeit with a crop but so does the GX85/GX9 in 4k), a higher capacity battery, better stabilization, variable electronic zoom, a mic input, H264 and H26 10-bit recording at (in round numbers) 24/25/30/48/50/60p up to C4K, with higher resolutions up to 30p, at up to 4:2:2 and 200Mbps long-GOP.

Viewed as a GX85 & GX9 successor, it makes a lot of sense, especially once the 18-40mm zoom is available.

(At the moment, buying used from a dealer in the UK, a GX9 + 14-140mm would cost around £700 - £1000 so that's not a cheap camera either). 

Here's a top-down view of the S9 with the Sigma 45mm f/2.8. It looks like a really good size but still not pancake. BTW, this is how Panasonic really envisions you using this camera- phone in one hand and camera in the other. I can't do that as would rather be looking at the scene in front of me, not fiddling around on a phone that's way to big to operate with one hand anyway.

527385070_Screenshot2024-05-25at17_37_11.thumb.png.35fad4a5b7f2e1d8f622350e24930365.png

6 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

In France, they priced it at 2400 euros, but there's almost nothing off if you were buying each separately, probably because the 28-200 just came out. They only discounting primes: 18mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm. By far, the best deal is with the 18mm at roughly 2000 euros, tax included. Does Sigma have a suitable superzoom? I think the Panasonic one is fairly unique and I wish I had it over the 70-300, but I like the reach too.

I'd like to see Panasonic have success with this and increase market share -- to go on to release another compact with a much faster reading sensor + evf to outcompete Sony's A7C II (429g body). That is more appealing to me as a compact travel camera (of course much more expensive). Sigma's contemporary primes strike a great weight/performance balance and are just waiting for something way beyond the FP line to pair with on L mount.

1 hour ago, hojomo said:

I'd like to see Panasonic have success with this and increase market share -- to go on to release another compact with a much faster reading sensor + evf to outcompete Sony's A7C II (429g body). That is more appealing to me as a compact travel camera (of course much more expensive). Sigma's contemporary primes strike a great weight/performance balance and are just waiting for something way beyond the FP line to pair with on L mount.

The Sony A7C ii is more like 514g vs. 486g for the S9. Electronic shutter would be great for a fast readout sensor, but I'm not sure that's in Panasonic's tea leaves. Actually, I think the S9 stacks up well to the Sony for short-form video (at least in the specs). For me, the lack of an EVF is actually a preference as there's one less thing to think about and shooting from the hip is preferable. Also, the S9 looks way cooler IMO (with a small prime or small zoom). Price is also a consideration.

On 5/24/2024 at 6:15 AM, MrSMW said:

To be honest, I’m not even sure how any S1 line replacement would even be an option…

What could an S2H do that my S1H cannot do? For my needs. Nothing I want or could think of.

What would something new give me above what the S5ii gives me? Ditto, nada.

What about uncropped 4k/60p?

Internal ND?

For those who remember, what's happening to the S9 is vaguely similar to the release of the GX850. It seemed like EVERYONE wanted that GX850 to be a tiny GX85 and it almost was except for the IBIS. People said they could live with that due to the form-factor. People said they could live with the 5-minute recording limit in 4K. However, people seriously started bitching about that camera when Panasonic removed manual video mode- it was the line that couldn't be crossed and so many people were angry at it for that. In actuality, it does have a pseudo manual mode in 30fps with 4k Photo Mode and multiple aspect ratios.

Panasonic also has a long history of not having full sensor readout on cameras (whereas Olympus did), which is another major point of contention.

One does have to wonder what they're thinking sometimes. If they have reasons, you'd think they'd explain, but they never seem to. In fact their silence on the matter of the S9 isn't really doing much good. Sure, they might wait for it to blow over (and it will, eventually), but it would seem good to release a statement of some sort. Maybe they don't want to admit anything? Maybe they're saying it was a good launch, job done? I'm not sure.

Has anyone heard about the S9 have or not having Adobe to Cloud (frame.io) features? I know it doesn't have the proxies, but I wasn't sure about the Adobe connectivity.

Also, with Adobe Lightroom CC, is it possible to have jpeg's directly go into your library on your iPhone? I'm not a user, but I thought someone might know.

Finally, can you set it up to send photos directly to the phone after each shot, much like tethering?

So far, I've only seen people selecting thumbnails. For me, that is rather difficult and this is the part of the process that I've always dreaded. You simply cannot see wether it's a good shot or not. I think it would be better to send everything automatically and delete later the ones I don't want... much like you can currently do on the S5ii with the integration of frame.io.

On 5/25/2024 at 1:12 PM, John Matthews said:

Here's a top-down view of the S9 with the Sigma 45mm f/2.8. It looks like a really good size but still not pancake. BTW, this is how Panasonic really envisions you using this camera- phone in one hand and camera in the other. I can't do that as would rather be looking at the scene in front of me, not fiddling around on a phone that's way to big to operate with one hand anyway.

527385070_Screenshot2024-05-25at17_37_11.thumb.png.35fad4a5b7f2e1d8f622350e24930365.png

Nope, I think that it is not the intended use - probably is another reviewer who don't read the manual.

If the user wants to post the image / video ASAP, it should put the app on the mode that it automatically downloads from the camera every still /video that was taken. It is not a novelty, my X-S20 have this option, and I think that other manufacturers have this option in their apps to.

Panasonic just thought a bit more about the process - hence a optimized use of 5ghz wifi (the download times looks faster than usual) and the new 50mbps codec for a fast transfer to the phone.

You leave the phone on your pocket, take you shots, and when you finish the pcitures / video are already on you phone (on almost completed), you upload it to social media in the app, applying (or not) some of the luts with an optimized editor. I'm not this kind of user, but looks like a much better workflow than usual.

And I can't believe that with my GH5 I can't do what the gopros have been doing for years which is to download the videos in lightweight format to my phone immediately to get a preview.
This would be a very useful thing on a boat with the housing still wet since I can turn on the wifi from the underwater housing.

1 hour ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

You leave the phone on your pocket, take you shots, and when you finish the pcitures / video are already on you phone (on almost completed), you upload it to social media in the app, applying (or not) some of the luts with an optimized editor. I'm not this kind of user, but looks like a much better workflow than usual.

I think the Olympus E-PL9 did something similar as well as having the ability to download at your discretion when the camera's OFF. Honestly, it's probably not for me. I've always hated phone and never really put much money in them, but that's just me.

In the videos, I saw some reviews looking through thumbnails on their phone and that's the situation I least like.

Since you might know, can you configure the S5ii to upload directly to creative cloud via frame.io and after to your mobile lightroom? I think that would be even more preferable. I'm not sure the S9 can do that but I asked the question on B&H.