2 Hour Making of Mad Max Fury Road

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I saw it yesterday...great DP work, but the movie itself is...dunno, just bad. no real story, no real plot, just very bland. Another great classic ruined.

​Thats really why I like it. Sometimes I find the less plot or story the better. (loved Sucker Punch for the same reason) I don't think Mad Max 2 had much of a story either. Loved it as well. Don't think the new one ruins the old ones at all.

Thanks, will check the making of asap, should be interesting. 

Saw the film yesterday. Id give it a solid 8, but i did go in with sky high expectations after witnessing all these ten out of ten reviews. The film is certainly much better than Age of Ultron or Furious 7 and probably will be the best action blockbuster of 2015. Feel it's slightly overrated but not as much as the first Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy. Id rate it equal to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. 

I was floored at the beginning of the movie and especially at the first carchase setpiece but the latter half of the movie failed to sustain or outdo the assault on the senses i got in the first hour. The second half was really good but it definitely peaked early for me. The last setpiece was more of the same and the sense of danger was somewhat lost sadly. The baddies could have easily won in the end if they had put some thought to their actions. But i guess logic doesn't apply anyway to film such as this.
One nitpick - the high shutter speed in action scenes was way overdone and made the movements too jerky and less realistic.

Overall the design and the world itself was simply amazing and quite mad indeed, if a bit comic book alike compared to earlier films. Tom Hardy was good but he doesn't quite have that fierce look in the eyes like Mel Gibson. Gibson could have still pulled it off imo. Theron was awesome if underdeveloped as a character, but we all now the drama isn't the main attraction in a film like this, so it's all good. 
Soundtack was nothing special, fitted nicely on action but not as much during the quiter scenes, overly pathetic. 

Big respect for Miller to pulling it off, Fury Road is a stunning action movie with incredible visuals and style but not quite a flawless masterpiece. Look forward to seeing it again. 

Id like to add that i secretly hoped for a cameo of Bruce Spence. I don't know if it's just me, but the film seemed to aim for PG13 like Prometheus.

I haven't seen it yet, but are you talking about actual shutter speed, or shots that were undercranked? the latter has been a part of the visual aesthetic of all the Mad Max films. i read an interview with the DP on Fury Road that said only about 50-60% of what they shot was at 24fps.

looking forward to it. seeing it tonight.

One nitpick - the high shutter speed in action scenes was way overdone and made the movements too jerky and less realistic.

Saw a private 3D screening of it the other day... Pretty good action flick. It was funny at times and visually mesmerizing at other times. And sometimes it just moved from one car chase scene to the next with little islands of just enough story to keep it intriguing. Really not much to say. 

Thanks, will check the making of asap, should be interesting. 

Saw the film yesterday. Id give it a solid 8, but i did go in with sky high expectations after witnessing all these ten out of ten reviews. The film is certainly much better than Age of Ultron or Furious 7 and probably will be the best action blockbuster of 2015. Feel it's slightly overrated but not as much as the first Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy. Id rate it equal to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. 

I was floored at the beginning of the movie and especially at the first carchase setpiece but the latter half of the movie failed to sustain or outdo the assault on the senses i got in the first hour. The second half was really good but it definitely peaked early for me. The last setpiece was more of the same and the sense of danger was somewhat lost sadly. The baddies could have easily won in the end if they had put some thought to their actions. But i guess logic doesn't apply anyway to film such as this.

Overall the design and the world itself was simply amazing and quite mad indeed, if a bit comic book alike compared to earlier films. Tom Hardy was good but he doesn't quite have that fierce look in the eyes like Mel Gibson. Gibson could have still pulled it off imo. Theron was awesome if underdeveloped as a character, but we all now the drama isn't the main attraction in a film like this, so it's all good. 
Soundtack was nothing special, fitted nicely on action but not as much during the quiter scenes, overly pathetic. 

Big respect for Miller to pulling it off, Fury Road is a stunning action movie with incredible visuals and style but not quite a flawless masterpiece. Look forward to seeing it again. 

Id like to add that i secretly hoped for a cameo of Bruce Spence. I don't know if it's just me, but the film seemed to aim for PG13 like Prometheus.

Good summary.  

Can't wait to see it this weekend.

Did anyone watch the full video with the DP? He takes some jabs at RED toward the end. Someone asked why he didn't use RED and he said "I've heard bad things about overheating" and that it's made by "a sunglasses company". Hahah. He's an old school film guy, and this was his first job using digital cameras. Said he loved the Alexa and is not going back to film.

After the needlessly twisty plot and exposition dumps that filled the space between set pieces in Avengers: Age of Ultron, I found the lean, efficient storytelling that told us only what we needed to progress to the next point in the story while giving the necessary character detail to be immensely refreshing. 

I thought the film got better as it went on, and the payoff for all the visual and thematic elements established during the first hour was terrific.

The action scenes themselves are of course, amazing.

For my money, this was easily the best action blockbuster of the past 10 years. 

On the subject of this video, it's a bit of a shame that they tried to use the Olympus cameras for the IS and instead had to resort to 5Ds when the footage wasn't up to the technical standard the post guys wanted. 

If Fury Road was being shot today, I wonder if they'd be using A7s, GH4s and BMPCCs.

Great ride! Just returning from the theater. Saw it in 3D, but I'll probably rewatch in 2D for added detail and overview, think those things usually suffer from 3D. The flick is pretty stupid at times, but I can forgive that easily with the ingenious set design, mostly great pacing and the most stylish villain of like all times. This movie is so metal, I wanna go down just like that!