Nikon buys Red?

JulioD

• Super Members

“No changes to product support, warranties or policies”  does leave plenty to infer about where there could be changes.

Notably product development, pricing and manufacturing.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Well, the takeover is officially complete now and no executive roles for Jannard or Land so, with that, hopes fade for the release of the Nikon BASTARD or Nikon CRUSHER

Jannard (now 74) retired from RED five years ago - https://h4vuser.net/t/everything-changes/10600 - so I very much doubt he'd want an executive role anyway.

I suspect that Nikon saying that Jannard and Land are now 'close advisors' is mostly about trying to reassure RED users that the RED philosophy isn't going to change overnight.

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Jannard (now 74) retired from RED five years ago - https://h4vuser.net/t/everything-changes/10600 - so I very much doubt he'd want an executive role anyway.

Yeah, I know.

Its on that basis that I was surprised to see him as an advisor if he was as "retired" from RED as he stated.

18 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

I suspect that Nikon saying that Jannard and Land are now 'close advisors' is mostly about trying to reassure RED users that the RED philosophy isn't going to change overnight.

Agreed.

I doubt it will last beyond the next product launch though.

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I doubt it will last beyond the next product launch though.

Me too - big companies rarely buy much smaller ones and then leave them alone, especially one that's been losing market share to it's competitors.

5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

with that, hopes fade for the release of the Nikon BASTARD or Nikon CRUSHER

The reality about disruptive products is that most of the time its not sustainable way of releasing new products. You can't stay disruptive long term. Japanese do care a lot about cash flow. Thats why they have 100 years old companies. 

But why, did you imagine something different? But really?
There will be a mix of technologies and Nikon puts one foot, or rather two, into the cinema market. Which is the whole point of the operation. 

I was looking for market share data on cinema cameras but only found financial data.
Instead I would be curious to know what percentage Arri, Red, Canon, Sony, Pana share of film productions.
Some time ago I had seen a similar statistic restricted to Oscar films but I can't find it again.

15 hours ago, Davide DB said:

I was looking for market share data on cinema cameras but only found financial data.
Instead I would be curious to know what percentage Arri, Red, Canon, Sony, Pana share of film productions.
Some time ago I had seen a similar statistic restricted to Oscar films but I can't find it again.

There's some statistics up to 2019 here - https://stephenfollows.com/digital-vs-film-on-hollywood-movies/

I sincerely don't think their is much money in pure cinema cameras. Most of the money would come from the likes of the Fx3, fx6, Fx9 type of cameras, that would sell tens of thousands, rather than a few thousands at best. RED revenue was like 158 millions USD. That is peanuts from a 4.5/5 billions USD revenue company like Nikon. 

They are more trying using the brand name for the whole product line as a minimum. Their might be special version of the Cinema z8-z9 with RED raw etc, or the whole line uses it. Nikon knows that video is as important as photo in a photo camera today. This moves put them higher than even the likes of Canon in terms of branding. Tomorrow Nikon will be able to put "The Flash" or "Dr Strange" or "The Squid Game" on their marketing material.

Both companies could also share technologies. Tomorrow Red could launch a Komodo/Raptor with state of the art Ibis and autofocus, to compete with Sony Fx6 to Burano, Venise. Sony which has been their main competitor. And we might see some of those global shutter sensors either shared between the cameras on some models, or some specific model for Nikon still. 

News in the last 24 hours... new resignation:

«Over the past 18 years, I have had the privilege of being immersed in one of the most groundbreaking underdog tech-success stories of all time. Against all odds, a small, tactical group of like-minded individuals transformed into a focused army targeted at revolutionizing the cinematography and photography industries. We watched from the inside as RED DIGITAL CINEMA emerged from the vapor, and forged itself into an industry titan. I would like to thank Jim Jannard and Jarred Land for a life-defining opportunity and embodying the essence of true product and brand design pioneers. Constantly walking on the edge of accepted reality and questioning the fabric of the universe was the minimum price of entry. Huge congratulations go to NIKON for acquiring the best camera company in existence. I have decided to resign from the post of Chief Design Officer and confidently pass the torch on to the next generation of disruptors to evolve, grow, and metamorphose within NIKON. Thank you to everyone who has embraced and supported our unorthodox methodologies, and mechanical sculpture that defines the design language of RED’s light-devouring beasts.»

~ Matthew Tremblay -- Chief Design Officer: RED Digital Cinema (2006-2024)

image.png

source:

LinkedIn profile's post