Fuji X100VI - Released

SRV1981

this guy gets really nice jpgs on a Sony, which rivals Fuji emulations. 

curious if others have done this here and also if Sony allows LUT uploads to be baked into photos like they do for video. I know Panasonic does this. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don’t know about Sony but Panny definitely does and…meh.

The issue is, it’s all baked in and for many, this might be OK, but as a photographer, I would much rather shoot Jpeg + Raw where the Jpeg is an in camera and reference at the culling stage.

I have done various tests over the years with many Fuji cameras comparing the baked in Jpeg with the final Jpegs I created from the same image using the raw and about 9/10, I (much) preferred the raw conversion.

On the back of the camera, the baked in Jpegs look great.

On social media, ditto.

But take the same properly edited image on a large screen or large print and it’s not even close.

The baked in look is a hype job…UNLESS as above, it’s at social media / lower res levels when it can look great.

And then some hate editing images which is also fine, but the reality for any serious photographer is a baked in look and a Jpeg image is ALWAYS going to be a compromise compared with a raw file.

With the S5ii specifically, I loaded up several of my favourite personal custom LUTS, but again, nah, could not get close to the quality never mind the consistency, I could get out of doing my own process in LightRoom.

The reality of it all however is most of my clients probably rarely print anything. This is the society we now live in…

They have a wedding, spend as much as they ever did on the capture, but instead of receiving anything physical such as an album as 100% did when I started out, 100% today simply download their files.

Ask them what they have done with their 500+ highly curated and individually hand edited files 1,2,5 years later and the response is, “our parents printed a couple for their mantelpiece but we ourselves have not got around to doing anything yet”.

And most never will and one day, their kids and grandkids will ask about these ‘photos’, but these digital files will have been last to time in most cases.

Industry / social rant over 😜

3 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

a Jpeg image is ALWAYS going to be a compromise compared with a raw file.

Caveat:

If it is going to be printed large or requires further extensive editing such as the skin tones are way off with your baked in Jpeg.

If it is just for social media, the web or small print, it might be fine….

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

The issue is, it’s all baked in and for many, this might be OK, but as a photographer, I would much rather shoot Jpeg + Raw

That’s fair but the thread is regarding x100vi and jpg is one of the main reasons this camera has been hyped. People buy it for travel and casual use - so the option to get film like images through emulations baked in is the main sell from my vantage point. 

still curious if Luts can be used on photos for Sony - if so, that would make it an easy decision 

I’m admiring the juxtaposition of the pine cone to the left, complementing the wooden handle and the silver tap behind, the metallic lines of the camera.

I see stupid shit like this 😉

But the cage/cinema camera…??

Of course it’s not going to compete with an Alexa or any half-decent ‘cinema camera’, but could you should clips even up to a couple of minutes with it? 

Sure and if using either the tele or wide angle convertors, open up some other focal length options, basically 28-50mm.

And it will handle much better for video (or stills) with that grip.

It might not be my first choice for video, but now it has IBIS, I could make that work as part of a kit.

On 2/25/2024 at 7:36 AM, IronFilm said:

A "cinema camera" with a permanently fixed prime lens 😕 

I ordered one: my Sony a74 is just sitting on the shelf and only comes out when i shoot a real project. I would love to have a something with me that shoots nice quality and feels like a camera at the same time... We will see...

11 hours ago, Chrille said:

I ordered one: my Sony a74 is just sitting on the shelf and only comes out when i shoot a real project. I would love to have a something with me that shoots nice quality and feels like a camera at the same time... We will see...

What aspects of the Fuji do you think will make it different to the Sony?

What subjects and style will you shoot with it?  Video or stills?

Some equipment just has a magnetism that makes you want to pick it up and use it, and other equipment just doesn't, it's a strange thing but a large factor that we don't talk about enough I think.

7 hours ago, kye said:

Some equipment just has a magnetism that makes you want to pick it up and use it

The OG X100 had that for me and was the first camera for me that had that factor, despite already having been pro for a decade, but everything previously was just a tool for the job.

Almost the same experience with the X Pro1 and 2…almost. I think the single last element that was missing there for me was changing lenses and at the time I wished for 2x X100’s, one with a 28mm equivalent lens and the other with a 70mm equivalent.

XH1 similar to the Pro1/2 feeling, - really enjoyed and wanted to use it even when I didn’t need to.

S1H, kinda, but too big as an every day tool so more a case of extreme admiration.

But in 20+ years, nothing has come close to the OG X100 other than the Nikon Zf which I use as a fixed prime unit.

My only criticism of the Zf…well two criticism actually is A. I wish they had gone for a tilt screen over a flip out and B. that is was slightly smaller.

How does it compare with the X100V and VI?

Well obviously not had the VI in my own grubby mitts but have had the V and for me personally, the V vs the Zf is a tie with one a little more ‘personal’ (the V) and the other a little more ‘pro’ (the Zf).

Zf vs VI, I’d give the nod to the VI now that it has IBIS and that 40mp sensor.

Coupled with the two convertors and the increased ability to crop, it’s close to being a system for me (I would have to chuck in an XH2S with a zoom for some stuff) but work aside, I think Fuji have just taken the original X100 ball and run with it with each iteration but for me, the pick of the bunch are the original (for it’s time) and the new boy.

9 hours ago, kye said:

What aspects of the Fuji do you think will make it different to the Sony?

What subjects and style will you shoot with it?  Video or stills?

Some equipment just has a magnetism that makes you want to pick it up and use it, and other equipment just doesn't, it's a strange thing but a large factor that we don't talk about enough I think.

Yeah, it's the size mainly. For fotos it's mainly kids and family, the idea for video is to shoot stuff that i can use later on in music videos, video essays or short films. So many things going on in the city that want to be archived for the future.

17 hours ago, Chrille said:

Yeah, it's the size mainly. For fotos it's mainly kids and family, the idea for video is to shoot stuff that i can use later on in music videos, video essays or short films. So many things going on in the city that want to be archived for the future.

Have you considered a Ricoh gr3x

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2024 at 5:55 AM, Chrille said:

The biggest problem of the camera was not tackled yet - specially for video. 

Since all the previews are on the "is pre-production, wait for the final review" mantra, battery life was not really mentioned much. 

They made a newer IBIS, kinda smaller than the previous, hence the power consumption might be lower. But...I had tha X-S10, with the same smaller battery, and it had the worst battery life that I've known. On one instance, I've shot around 45 stills, then recorded around 18 minutes of 4k...one battery gone. For semi-pro use, 4 batteries in a day was almost certain.

There is another factor to consider (and it connects to the overheating video from Undone): there are two 4k modes on this camera, as in the X-T5. The "regular" 4k mode is not oversampled - it have some kind of line skipping / pixel binning. The image quality is worse (not VERY worse, but noticeable for trained eyes), but it requires less processing (and probably generetes less heat). The 4k HQ mode is oversampled, and uses a mild crop.

All the battery tests for video that I saw used non-HQ 4k video, in this case the battery life does not look so bad. But I could bet that with 4k HQ mode, camera in Boost mode and with IBIS, the battery would be chewed.

For the main targeted users, probably will not be a huge issue. But if the intended use for vídeo is a bit more than short takes, probably will be.

• 5 weeks later...

Never thought I would buy a X100VI (and a limited edition too!), But after my name got drawn out of the lottery I say why not!

The thickness of the X100 is similar to my Sony body without any lens on it, and even with that OVF it is only slightly taller but shorter than most other mirrrorless with dslr design.

The ND and IBIS does it make a more compelling video camera, I really hate to screw on and off the lens filter on trip.

Btw it can be powered by USB powerbank

20240327_095435.jpg

20240327_095456.jpg

20240327_095603.jpg

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Never thought I would buy a X100VI (and a limited edition too!), But after my name got drawn out of the lottery I say why not!

I'm so envious!  I canceled my preorder for the non-limited edition when I wasn't in the first round of shipments.  I travel often enough that uncertain shipping dates drive me up a wall.
"Good news, we finally shipped your product with signature required!  It will be there on Tuesday."
(At that point, I usually won't be home until the next week or later - vacation hold/hold for pickup is really variable by carrier and not as good as one would hope)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you shoot with it!  I'll be waiting until they're on store shelves, apparently - unless some other shiny thing catches my eye before then.

I wish I had put my name down for 10+ of the things…so I could immediately resell them on and make a profit on each.

One was being listed recently for 16k!

Surely not even the most Henson of all Jim’s Muppets would go for that, but…

Otherwise, also somewhat envious. The X100 line of cameras has been my personal favourite ever since the OG appeared back in 2011.