Fuji X100VI - Released

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Plus 10 bit 4:2:2,  Reala Ace and F-Log profiles, that brilliant hybrid viewfinder, compact tuned w/a and tc adapters to mitigate the lack of ILC when you need it etc etc etc

Tough crowd.

I see an awful lot of posts on here where this camera could be the solution so I was surprised it hasn’t been getting discussed.

Looks really sweet - I put in a preorder.  Could be the perfect jacket-pocketable walk-around camera.  The built-in ND filter makes me really happy.

What features does it lack that I’d want (and that aren’t completely unreasonable)?

• Internal ProRes
  • Raw over HDMI recording (at least I don’t see this on Fuji’s site)
  • log recording(?) (not listed in the specs on Fuji’s site, guess I need to watch more reviews to see if they just aren’t mentioning it (though Eterna helps to mitigate the sadness for lacking raw))
  • Full-size HDMI (this one is a bit petty, though, given the camera’s size)
  • Makes me a better photographer somehow (I keep buying cameras and my mediocre talent seems to stay completely constant!)

If I had not gone back to Nikon (Zf and Z6ii) for my stills needs, I would almost certainly have gone back to Fuji for all my needs, photo and video.

X100vi as my candid stills and C roll video unit,

XH2 for secondary stills/longer/wider lenses and B roll video,

XH2S as my primary video

I'm not a fan of what has happened to the V model due to TikTok/social media etc and all the availability/price nonsense, but it was and still is a sublime bit of it.

Not sure I'd pick the new vi over my Zf as a pro tool though...

As an every day walkabout, vacation etc, sure, but love me my Zf.

24 minutes ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

Makes me a better photographer somehow (I keep buying cameras and my mediocre talent seems to stay completely constant!)

Probably 2 principle reasons.

Reason A. You enjoy using it so use it more than you would another and that in itself leads to self-improvement.

Reason B. Fixed lens. You learn to see at that focal length and that leads to another kind of 'improvement'.

I used the fixed 35mm focal length for almost an entire season of wedding photography and it was both a joy and a compromise.

For work/clients, probably too much of a compromise and I would not ever go back to that but I use my Zf as a fixed lens camera, just with a 40mm glued on, but with my second unit with either 20-40mm or 70-180mm as required.

Good points. Maybe I was too ambitious hoping for more than incremental improvements - are a6700s and the newer Sony bodies just as “jacketable”?

I still prefer my Ricoh gr3x to the x100v/vi setup but was hoping for better AF and video features. 

• Super Members
40 minutes ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

log recording(?) (not listed in the specs on Fuji’s site, guess I need to watch more reviews to see if they just aren’t mentioning it (though Eterna helps to mitigate the sadness for lacking raw))

It isn't listed in the specs for some reason but it does have F-log and F-log2.

This is from their online store.

495255518_Screenshot2024-02-21at13_05_41.thumb.png.f06d313c6cf0c6e85d312b805962142c.png

8 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

It isn't listed in the specs for some reason but it does have F-log and F-log2.

This is from their online store.

495255518_Screenshot2024-02-21at13_05_41.thumb.png.f06d313c6cf0c6e85d312b805962142c.png

Can’t find the exact video currently, but seemed that 10m overheating shutoff - if true, doesn’t seem viable for anything more than photos ?

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Can’t find the exact video currently, but seemed that 10m overheating shutoff - if true, doesn’t seem viable for anything more than photos ?

Its horses for courses when it comes to viability.

Its a compact sealed unit so it was never going to be a camera for doing 60 minute recordings with.

Recovery time and mitigation is just as important as record time for this type of camera as is usage so it needs real testing under controlled conditions.

For what I'd use this camera for then even it was only what you are reporting as maximum of 10 minute takes that would actually be more than adequate for me.

For you ?

That's up to what YOU were going to use it for.

18 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its horses for courses when it comes to viability.

Its a compact sealed unit so it was never going to be a camera for doing 60 minute recordings with.

Recovery time and mitigation is just as important as record time for this type of camera as is usage so it needs real testing under controlled conditions.

For what I'd use this camera for then even it was only what you are reporting as maximum of 10 minute takes that would actually be more than adequate for me.

For you ?

That's up to what YOU were going to use it for.

Yup, agree - hence why I said it isn’t for me and asked what you all thought 🙂

32 minutes ago, Walter H said:

I think judging this release against the specs and the role as an a-cam on-set affirms just how spoiled we've become.

Looks like a wonderfully evolved camera for its use. 

What are your favorite upgrades over the 4-year older version?

For me, a 10-minute recording limit is absolutely fine for a pocket camera and 40 megapixels + 6k video offer a really nice upgrade over just using my iPhone.  If you want to shoot documentaries/interviews/etc, it’s probably not the best choice.  I’d just use other cameras for that (and maybe whip out this camera for BTS or similar).

As far as whether the newer Sony bodies would fit in a jacket pocket, I’m guessing they would - but the A6700 (specifically) is only 24 megapixels, has Sony UX and colors, and has no internal ND.  I shot Sony for a number of years when they were the only ones making viable full frame mirrorless, but I never really got to a point where they were any sort of a joy to use - it always just felt like using a hammer (a hammer with cruddy menus at that - though I’m told they’re somewhat better now).  

I still have my old ZV-1 (and maybe an RX100V?) - and one of the reasons I never really considered any of the newer models is that Sony got rid of the internal ND.  For a pocket/carry-around video camera, internal ND is pretty huge.

(And I’m glad it has f-log!)

1 hour ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

For me, a 10-minute recording limit is absolutely fine for a pocket camera and 40 megapixels + 6k video offer a really nice upgrade over just using my iPhone.  If you want to shoot documentaries/interviews/etc, it’s probably not the best choice.  I’d just use other cameras for that (and maybe whip out this camera for BTS or similar).

As far as whether the newer Sony bodies would fit in a jacket pocket, I’m guessing they would - but the A6700 (specifically) is only 24 megapixels, has Sony UX and colors, and has no internal ND.  I shot Sony for a number of years when they were the only ones making viable full frame mirrorless, but I never really got to a point where they were any sort of a joy to use - it always just felt like using a hammer (a hammer with cruddy menus at that - though I’m told they’re somewhat better now).  

I still have my old ZV-1 (and maybe an RX100V?) - and one of the reasons I never really considered any of the newer models is that Sony got rid of the internal ND.  For a pocket/carry-around video camera, internal ND is pretty huge.

(And I’m glad it has f-log!)

Fair rebuttal. Thanks!  I’ll stick with the Ricoh for a bit but these are valid takes.  I’m just greedy 🙂 would love Fuji simulations with Sony AF and longer record times in the same size form factor! Heat dissipation has been discussed ad nauseam here so I know im Not alone wanting this and thinking it’s feasible.  

There’s nothing wrong with wanting longer record times - it’s too bad Fuji didn’t include a socket for the fan that works with the xh2s and the gfx100 II (both of which, ironically, don’t really seem to be prone to overheating).  It’s totally valid to say that you record long clips and that a camera which overheats after 10 minutes isn’t for you and it’s equally valid to feel disappointment that a newer camera doesn’t include all of the features and upgrades that you hoped for.  

Luckily we live in a time when there are lots of fantastic cameras on the market and you can choose one that fits your preferences/needs (like your Ricoh)!  😄

12 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

What are your favorite upgrades over the 4-year older version?

Oh, I owned an X100F for about eight months more than four years ago, so I cannot say directly (as much as everyone in this thread is typing based upon the specs of this latest release). I had an X100 for more than a year prior to that. That's all I can speak of based upon direct experience. I think it is a lovely camera that I just didn't connect with. 

I think it's primary use is as a stills camera and I think it fulfills a genuinely unique market niche really well - hybrid viewfinder and a fixed-lens. What else is there? For that, I think the bump to Fuji's 40mp sensor makes sense (not that I would have been asking for it) and the incorporation of IBIS is what really stands out to me. Since my first IBIS body, I simply won't go back. So many more creative options open up (for me). 

So to answer your question pointedly, IBIS. The rest of it might as well come along since it's already there.

I think the video specs are grand to have (why would you exclude what the XT-5, etc can do with the same sensor/processor?) and I would do b-roll grabs or creative work with it. But that would be a perk for me with the x-series rather than a goal for purchasing the camera.