2024 - A "No Gear" Year

QuickHitRecord

HA! No, I'm a dog person. (although, no dogs here either) 

Still, I'm quite happy with how this year panned out. 

I think this year was by far the least I've spent in any year (or at least, it is the least since I was the "film school level" of filmmaking) 

Hope to try and make 2024 be a similar year. 

I'll still spend money on random little cables / adapters / batteries / consumables / etc that I need. (these can easily get into the low thousands of dollars! As all these little things can easily add up. But I'll try to keep it down more in the hundreds of dollars range) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
29 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

HA! No, I'm a dog person. (although, no dogs here either) 

Still, I'm quite happy with how this year panned out. 

I think this year was by far the least I've spent in any year (or at least, it is the least since I was the "film school level" of filmmaking) 

I'll still spend money on random little cables / adapters / batteries / consumables / etc that I need. (these can easily get into the low thousands of dollars! As all these little things can easily add up. But I'll try to keep it down more in the hundreds of dollars range) 

Just thinking back on 2023 and I think it was a pretty low cost year for me, with the one of the main expenses being a colour grading training course.  

Skills > equipment....

58 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

My rough gear plans for 2024 that I'm expecting (can't be too sure, I don't have a crystal ball):

1. Sell my Sony FS7 (and try to resist temptation to get another, and thus tell myself to not buy a Sony PMW-F5 and/or FX30 instead)
  2. Likewise, resist the temptation to buy a secondhand Nikon D750 / D500 / Panasonic G9mk1 / Pentax 645D (the cheaper these cameras become, the harder it becomes to resist the temptation to get one!)
  3. Buy an RF Distro (sadly none exactly match up for what I'm looking for. So I might just get one from Aliexpress on "the cheap" for less than a thousand bucks NZD, while I keep on waiting for the perfect distro. Which might be years away?? There have been in 2023 a few new RF distro announcements and releases, we're been spoiled with how many new ones are coming out, yet sadly none are quite what I want!!!)
  4. Buy the Audio Wireless DT-BOOST2 filter (it hasn't started production yet, official specs are not even announced yet, and they haven't even said what the price will be!! https://www.audiowireless.co.uk/online-store/DIGITALLY-TUNED-DUAL-ANTENNA-FILTER-DT-BOOST-2-p481882216 But I've chatted with them directly, it seems that it will be coming out in 2024 I hope, and it seems like they'll have a variable 50MHz bandwidth option, so this seems like the closest to what I could hope that I want. At least in the foreseeable future, could be many years until the perfect product comes out, so for now these seems like the closest there is)
  5. Get a Rycote INV-Lite 19 shock mount 
  6. Buy another Sennheiser MKH50 and or Sanken CSM1 if I get lucky and see an amazing deal. (resist the temptation to get the new DPA 2017)
  7. Maybe get a Sony DWT-P01N, as one of my two plug on Sony transmitters is playing up with a few issues 😞 
  8. Buy another couple of channels (maybe even four) of Sony DWX (mainly because I want to be able to max out all 14 ISO tracks I can record on my Sound Devices 833, without needing to use my AJA ADA4 analog to AES convertors. And none of my Lectrosonics do AES output, but my Sony wireless does)
  9. Maybe get another couple more Sanken COS11D lavs, and/or Deity W.Lav Pros. 
  10. Maybe get another spare 3.5m carbon fibre boom pole. 
  11. Maybe jump over to eSmart batteries and the Deity BDS. (maybe, but this would be a rather expensive change up, vs sticking with my Sony BP-U60 batteries to power my bag with)
  12. Maybe change over from blk22 to blk20 for my IFBs/IEMs (I'd rather not do this, it would also be a very expensive change, for no real gain? But it might solve some minor issues I'm having, if the Lectrosonics PF25 won't resolve it) On the topic of IFBs, I might splurge out on a few Halter Technical headphones, as a better upgrade from the headphones I give out to people at the moment. 
  13. Get a second ISDT charger for my AA batteries (I love my ISDT N24! However, I think my 2nd one will be a smaller 8x or 16x AA charger. As to get a second 24x AA charger would be handy! But slightly overkill too)

Ouch! Once I write it all down like that, it looks like a big long scary list (expensive!).  Even though at another level, it feels like I have "no plans at all to spend money", seriously... it's nothing at all. 

Unlikely that 2024 will be a no gear year for me but it's definitely feeling like I'm coming up on the end of me buying cams period. I just sold my R5 to buy a 2nd R5C and I'll prob get an R7/R6 MKII as a C-cam. But I cannot fathom me needing anything else after that - and the way tech is going it feels like the next big wave will either be iphones as prosumer cams, or not needing cams at all. 

56 minutes ago, Happy Daze said:

Don't need to buy anything this year, I have more cameras than talent. Unless of course Blackmagic or Panasonic release an L mount 8K. That will help take my lack of talent to whole new levels and will be more clearly defined.

We all have more camera than talent!

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to go back and watch the best examples of their particular niche and then look in the mirror and ask themselves if they really think they are as good at shooting as Deakins, at editing as Murch, etc.  I'd watch the work of the masters shot on an iPhone 4 rather than an influencer vlog shot on an Alexa 65 any day of the week.

In fact, I highly recommend finding and studying the best examples of your genre.  Pull them into an editor and cut them up manually shot-by-shot so you are forced to see what they are doing.  I did this, and it completely revolutionised how I view the whole process.

Holy crap. You made my day! 😂 @Emanuel I got two FS700, two LX10, two Bmmcc, an S1 and S1H, to name the twin cameras, not mentioning the single lonely units. 🙂 I can explain. I bought both of the LX10 cameras from a youtuber for an impossibly super low price 1.5 years ago, my second Bmmcc barebones in 2022 for 250, second FS700 in 2020 for 500, S1 december 2020 for a very low price back then. BUT, it all sums up to lotta money and I have a hard time to keep my kits nice and tidy and to even use em. I will HAVE to sell my S1 and one of the FS700 cams, maybe both. Lenses? Let´s not even start!

Last year was my relatively low-spend year - other than disposables, only some upgrading to my audio kit and a bucket of hard drives for archiving. 

This year I think I will make one targeted camera purchase, which could come soon. Looks like the S1 has been discontinued in Japan and Panasonic might make an announcement as early as next week. So... Fuji's X-S20 it mostly likely is!

I am a hybrid shooter - genuinely as much photo as video although I make more money with video. I had been with Fuji for ages until I sold off everything to purchase a newly released S1 and subsequently an S5 as a second cam. If it hadn't been for the S5ii's retention of that miserable-sounding mechanical shutter, I likely would have replaced the S5 for the improved PDAF, better 6k, etc. 

I have also REALLY been missing a smaller camera that I can have along with me for pleasure (even smaller than the S5 and my clunky-adapted Canon 40mm). I've been missing being able to be tethered to Capture One for product photography (no joy for the Panasonics). I'm surprised by how much I miss the less shallow dof/more light gathering ratio per aperture that an APSC can provide for certain shooting situations. I played with a few Flog2 files and found them readily matchable to Vlog and nice to work with in their own right. Great on a gimbal. Better autofocus than what I have. I'd still have a the full-frame S1 for its advantages and I'd ditch the S5 for this lighter, more 6k capable, flexible B/A cam... 

I'm thinking this $2k spent (X-S20 + Sigma 18-50) less whatever I can get for the S5 and additional bits will round things out really well and be a bridge camera (in a sense) that actually extends the life of my S1, which for robustness, record time, quiet shutter, etc. I love, and get me another year plus with it before finding a used whatever-Panny-releases-soon a year or so from now to replace it. 

Isn't a treatise of justification just grand? Sorry for thwarting your intention, OP.

5 hours ago, Walter H said:

If it hadn't been for the S5ii's retention of that miserable-sounding mechanical shutter, I likely would have replaced the S5 for the improved PDAF, better 6k, etc.

YES, someone else that also gets this!

As a 50:50 stills/video shooter myself, only photographers really get just how important shutter sound (and button feel) are when it’s your job.

It was awful on the OG S5 and that carried over to the S5ii.

I love my S5ii for video but for stills, the S1H is in another league.

I could have, and wanted to build a system around 3x S5ii’s, but the shutter sound plus the lack of lenses for my specific needs, has meant I cannot.

I genuinely think that Panasonic potentially has the best all round hybrid cameras in the S5ii and the S1H and they just need to merge the two into one for the ‘perfect’ camera, ie, the focus system of the S5ii in the S1H!
Actually my ‘perfect’ camera is a mashup of the; S5ii, the S1H and the Sigma FP with Tamron lenses, specifically the 35-150mm f2/2.8 and 70-180mm f2.8

If only, for those lenses, it’s Sony or Nikon bodies only…which is why I have skipped off back to Nikon + Tamron for stills.

On 1/1/2024 at 8:44 AM, Happy Daze said:

Don't need to buy anything this year, I have more cameras than talent. Unless of course Blackmagic or Panasonic release an L mount 8K. That will help take my lack of talent to whole new levels and will be more clearly defined.

Roflmfao.

That's each one of us, and almost everyone else. Everyone is busy and everyone is jobless, both at the same time. 

10 hours ago, MrSMW said:

It was awful on the OG S5 and that carried over to the S5ii.

What exactly is wrong with the S5 shutter? And what's right with the S1H shutter?

(sorry, non-pro photographer here, so I'm a bit confused!) 

33 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

What exactly is wrong with the S5 shutter? And what's right with the S1H shutter?

(sorry, non-pro photographer here, so I'm a bit confused!) 

The mechanical shutter on the S1 & S1H (and I assume the S1R) is well damped and therefore quiet, unobtrusive, and honestly just feels good to engage. The S5's shutter is a harsh "clatch" that is loud and while I'm sure it's no less robust, feels so much cheaper and severe.

Subjectively, I wince emotionally from the feeling of it; objectively, I will not use the camera in a quiet environment. Given the abundance of led bulbs, etc., electronic shutter is often not an option for me. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

What he ☝️said. Exactly.

One is both damped in feel and sound.

The other is not and I have not been able to tolerate it as it grates on me.

I want tools that are both enjoyable to use and at the same time, get out of the way.

For video, it does.

For stills, it does not.

I once shot stills at a christening for a friend with my Canon 700D and having the mechanical shutter pierce the tranquility in the mostly empty church felt like I was letting off firecrackers at a meditation retreat.  I had to force myself to continue taking any photos at all, but pressed the shutter with extreme reluctance.

I really don't know how you guys do it!

2 hours ago, kye said:

I really don't know how you guys do it!

With extreme wincing back in the day.

When I used to live in the UK and shoot church weddings, it was very hit and miss whether you could even get permission to shoot and often it was only by pleading that you would be as stealthy as a mouse.

KER LICK

KER LICK

KER LICK

KER LICK

And then electronic shutter came along.

Shutter button feel is more a personal preference as in I would prefer a damped option but could live without it.

Sound is non-negotiable to me these days though. I can’t be invisible and I cannot always be totally silent, but I do practice stealth as much as is practically possible and KER LICK is not part of that equation.

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Sound is non-negotiable to me these days though. I can’t be invisible and I cannot always be totally silent, but I do practice stealth as much as is practically possible and KER LICK is not part of that equation.

Ahhhh... NOW you are speaking my language! 😉 

I'm all for being quieter when on a production. 

On 12/31/2023 at 12:17 AM, IronFilm said:

@Marcio Kabke Pinheiro, yeah you're just chucking a variable resistor inside a cable. 

You could get a similar thing for a dollar on Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004085294844.html 

@IronFilm, good, I think this one could be considered a "no gear" for the year. 😆
But it could hurt the sound quality on some way?