2024 - A "No Gear" Year

QuickHitRecord

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Something has to change. Duh! 😂 Let's simply not buy anymore stuff. Though some of the stuff I want to in. Before getting anything I will need to sell something beforehand. I want to trade my LX10 in for a LX100. Loved the LX10 as a personal camera. But that grip and lack of EVF... LX100 means 4K S16 instead of 2/3 as well'':) I have a second LX15 though.:) Bought both of them last summer from a fitness  youtuber for 120 EU!

4 hours ago, QuickHitRecord said:

So, I'm making a commitment that I will not buy any new gear between November 30th, 2023 and November 29th, 2024 (got to give myself the option to take advantage of Black Friday deals). If I need a specialty piece of gear, I will rent it.

Quick - you've got just over a week to stock up!!!

Seriously though, this is good.  Anything that helps you focus on your goals more and be less distracted is a good move 🙂 

While there's always things I'm curious about, sadly, there aren't a huge list of things I'd like to buy - they just don't make the things I really want!

For me is more make sure that I buy only things that I 100% confident that I will constantly use or that are not available for rent if I need it just for one project. And more so if I don't use them enough resell them asap. 

My TCO of not super useful accessories seems bigger that the TCO of my cameras and lenses 

I wish 2024 could be a ‘no spend’ year for me but it’s going to be a case of needing to purchase:

One further body, or two further bodies with trade in,

plus I need a new portable light as I lost my very expensive one at a wedding (ie left it somewhere and someone them stole it),

plus need a new on board shotgun mic as I smashed mine to pieces,

plus need a new Wireless Go as I also smashed one of the components of that in a ‘wedding based incident’.

51 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

plus I need a new portable light as I lost my very expensive one at a wedding (ie left it somewhere and someone them stole it),

plus need a new on board shotgun mic as I smashed mine to pieces,

plus need a new Wireless Go as I also smashed one of the components of that in a ‘wedding based incident’.

Crikey. I din't know you did Liverpool weddings!

21 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Give a serious thought to the Deity Theos system it's only just came out. It's very affordable, not much more expensive. (especially when you factor in the extra cost factor of buying lavs for the Rode GO)

More range, better design, more features, also is internal recording (for non-Americans, such as yourself). 

https://deitymic.com/products/theos-digital-wireless/ 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1779378-REG/deity_microphones_dtu0253d56_theos_digital_uhf_wireless.html

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Give a serious thought to the Deity Theos system

Batteries. Yuk. One more thing to charge and everything I own is internal battery.

Thanks for the suggestions but the original Rode Micro and WG have served me well for however long it’s been, (6+ years?) and for my needs, just work.

So better the devil you know kind of exercise with a large dollop of KISS.

14 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Batteries. Yuk. One more thing to charge and everything I own is internal battery.

Well, of course from my perspective internal batteries is a major negative

I do know the Theos TX & RX can be powered via USB, but I wonder if it can also charge via USB? Nothing in the manual I just read now seems to indicate that though. 

14 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

So better the devil you know kind of exercise with a large dollop of KISS.

Fair enough. 

(although, that logic is what kept Canon so very strong throughout the DSLR & HDSLR years...)

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Fair enough

Plus I hate change...though it is inevitable for some things.

The key to what I do though is making everything as simple as possible and as bulletproof as possible.

The Rode stuff I use is 'prosumer', but in something like 200 (?) jobs, it's earned a place with me.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably this will be a (almost) no gear for me too. Have to work out my personal finances and prepare for to future (and my daughter is in the last year of public school, probably will have to pay - a lot - for education next year..).

Spent almost a year searching for a LX100 II and/or an Olympus Pen F with reasonable prices, and now BOTH appeared...but have to stick to my plan.

At the same time, my camera usage is down to a minimum (working double for income in TI / finances), hence it would be a very bad expense.

And my current X-S20 and lenses is, by a big margin, the best kit that I had. More than enough for my current usage.

On 11/23/2023 at 1:50 AM, IronFilm said:

@IronFilm, can you give me a quick advise?

Made some recordings on a music festival with a Panasonic FZ1000 with an Andycine mic (a Rode VideoMic copycat), and looks like that the FZ1000 input is too hot - even bringing down the mic adjustment level in camera to the lowest possible, the sound still clipped.

Starting to look for some signal attenuators, found some passive ones, but saw that adjustable one from Sound Professionals:

https://soundprofessionals.com/product/SP-ATEN-1/

But it is like a headphone volume control, isn't it? Do you know if it can degrades the sound by a large margin?

1 hour ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Probably this will be a (almost) no gear for me too. Have to work out my personal finances and prepare for to future (and my daughter is in the last year of public school, probably will have to pay - a lot - for education next year..).

For me, it's a kitchen remodel and some new clothes. Your reasons are much less selfish.

I'm two weeks in and still holding strong! Lol.