Ed_David

[The Quiet Escape] A short film I shot on the Samsung NX1 - B&W and Color. 4 min.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Ed! It would be great if you put subtitles in english for non native public. I understand most of it, but would love to understand ALL!!! Congratulations!!!

​here's the last script I wrote - it changed a little in the final version but still it's mostly this plus some adlibbing.  About rolling shutter - yea - I wish I shot at 180 shutter but what can you do?  Also shooting the footage I had no idea I was going to turn it later into a short film - I started it just for fun. - 

The Quiet Escape

by Edward C David

I do want to leave

this city but I’m

always half in or half out with it

but I really want to leave it

but then I don’t but I do

then I don’t then of course I do

when i’m here i want to be there

but the truth is when I’m there 

in the country

I don’t want to be here, the city

it’s a drug to get off of

its safer now this city,

new york city

but it’s

more crowded and, noisier

and very very expensive

even a single subway ride costs way too much

ten years ago I came here

from college straight to here, no where else

I didn’t like manhattan, I liked living in brooklyn more,

cheaper and smaller and more like 

my suburbs where I grew up

more peaceful  - 

but maybe not as much now   

And of course it’s my fault and other young turds like me

who gentrified areas like in williamsburg, brooklyn

I remember before those luxury condos on the water there 

it was kind of dangerous or maybe i was just a young kid and scared of everything

but it was more dangerous and cheaper 

i lived here and worked and worked and worked

just to move forward financially, my art on hold

I had a script I never made

about a man walking 

through the city 

and all his thoughts

mending, fluidllike 

the war forever fought in our heads

But I didn’t finish the film

and now I’m 33 years old 

I can’t remember that much

the last 13 years at all really

just having some low rez photos

here I am

now talking into my phone mic recorder

out in the country

with my wife and my dog

and her family and I have time, 

finally,

to do my art.

And finally for the first time

well I’m being a little bit dramatic 

but  here I can see

what a waste it all is

to live in that city

to fight to survive

when you can just as the cliche goes, work to live

or is it work to live?

Unlike that city , I have time here

and peace and nature,

it’s not all candy land - i’ve been

confronting my flaws and 

my pain 

all bottled deep down in this well - 

ten years of tartar and plaque in my head.

but god I needed to do this.

I hope I can remember it

The precious luxury of all. Boredom.

The luxury to be bored, jesus that’s where

our lives have gone?

or maybe it’s just me and this city virus in me.

the constant stimulation

makes you numb

you tweet away as the world fades and burns

I have so many good memories of New York

because 

New York is such a 

romantic place, those lights at night.

how could anyone not love that

those walks thru the west village god it’s so charming

Riding my bike on and on and on thru brooklyn

god those nights are good but dry up the next day

and with the trash out  and that smell

and the loud noises

you start to realize you’re

paying an incredible amount of money

for a little plot of land you rent from

some slumlord far away

(not talking about my current landlord

who I love, he’s awesome, seriously)

I’m done self-sacrificing myself, thinking it’s

making me a better artist.  no, 

Great art only comes if your brain is clear

and your neurons and heart are firing properly.

I got this unique chance to get out of this

shithole and I’m going to take it.  

but still gotta be near some city

and those wackos are pretty lovable

but I see less and less of them

as those suits and young rich bastards

move in, with  their hands always on their phones

posting photos of themselves with their friends

when I think I know they go home at night

and are really secretly sad, a lot like me.

We humans spent a zillion years in nature.  With low noise, 

not in a city with  bus’s tire stretching or the sound

of a police siren.

My dog knows that.  

We lived in small communities, maybe tribes of 100 or so.

Not six million strangers

None of which are allowed really to care about each other

because there isn’t time.  Our heads would blow up. 

Getting smaller and quieter

increases quality of life.

I should put that on my fridge.

I don’t want to wake up tomorrow, ten years later,

in my little prison

with my noise canceling headphones on.

No, thank god for that little dog, he would never let me.  

DEDICATED TO MY WIFE LILY FRANCES HENDERSON

Hi Ed! It would be great if you put subtitles in english for non native public. I understand most of it, but would love to understand ALL!!! Congratulations!!!

​Same with me. As a big fan of Chris Marker, I love this thoughtful, streaming-consciousness-like poetry. I realize I understood ALL (in essence) just by getting tuned to the voice, almost music by itself (BTW: What was that music?).

New Yorkers don't have a difficult dialect for foreigners to understand, they just speak (and think?) too fast. The same is said of Berliners, where Andrew lives. They also create the most new idioms. 

I particularly liked the editing. And how you treated sound(s). 

I think that the nx1 has currently the most powerful hw in a camera. It could do all this and much more, if programmed well. I can only try to imagine what it could happen if the guys of magic lantern had access to the source code...

Imo it could do 6.5k at 24fps.

​Would love to see what the Magic Lantern guys could do with this camera.

I think it's great and I enjoyed watching it, but you already know that (that it's great). In fact I watched it a few times, and also a few videos of people you work with and I found that you really mastered the craft of editing because everytime I watch it to learn something about what you are doing I forget about it and get drawn to "the story". Maybe I'm just retarded...

It would be nice to have a 4K download to avoid the compression artifacts messing up the grain.

I think it's great and I enjoyed watching it, but you already know that (that it's great). In fact I watched it a few times, and also a few videos of people you work with and I found that you really mastered the craft of editing because everytime I watch it to learn something about what you are doing I forget about it and get drawn to "the story". Maybe I'm just retarded...

It would be nice to have a 4K download to avoid the compression artifacts messing up the grain.

​agreed - but i think i have to be a VIMEO pro member to do 4k files? anyway - i'll make a 4k version somehow - also I'll make a youtube version

Hi Ed, I really enjoyed your film. I love the voice over and the feel of the video. It kept me glued the whole time. If I may say one thing. Just my opinion, but I would have loved to have had more anonymity of which city you were talking about. Every time you said nyc it made me come out of the story a little bit. Other than that, I loved it!

Regarding the comments on animators...

My son is in his last semester of film school at the University of Texas. For the last four years, he comes home, we have dinner, we laugh and talk, or go out for burgers and a beer (he's quiet until he has something truly funny to say and then it's devastating, not like me just throwing verbal spaghetti at the wall all day. He's the kind of child you don't even dare to wish for in the delivery room.) Then he goes to his room, plugs a stylus pad into his laptop, and begins drawing one frame at a time. For hours and hours and hours. He's developed his own methods that are kind of strange, but he's been singled out as one of the top students in this graduating film class. So Andrew's thoughts on animators are exactly what my kid is. He's a good looking, smart and funny guy - and when he's not grilling ribs with his room mates, he's alone in these worlds he creates, doing it his own way. I think he'll go far.

I guess I just wanted to BRAG A LITTLE... but have a look at one of his shorts:

http://www.dylcar.com/spider-bite/

Or if you have Flash installed, he actually got some international press after this piece was completed:

http://www.dylcar.com/alz/

Ed. What a wonderful film. I could go on about all the technical aspects of your piece, and yes they are all wonderful. But for me as a viewer you hit at the core of what I went through when I left Los Angeles in the late nineties and moved back to my homeland of southwest Colorado. I do not make half the income as I did in LA. However, I am spiritually happy, I am still producing content and I am at peace with not having to deal with the driving rate race of LA. Speaking of which, once I finish writing this post I have to get back to editing our documentary Lasso The Sun. All the best from the mighty San Juan mountains.

Bravo! 

Hi Ed,

I don't know how I managed to miss your movie - being an eoshd addict and NX1 owner and all that - 

It's really great. I love how you twisted the image into fitting your story and not the other way around. The text is really beautiful too. I don't think I'd be wrong if I said that it resonates with most peoples aspirations and dilemmas. It sounds personal, intimate and powerful. 

Also it makes one think about how we all want the most "filmic" camera but with the cleanest image possible... Well it feels good to see a modern camera deliver such a nice and authentic feeling picture - but oh well I love my NX1 too so I'm not to be convinced of that :) 

Anyway it's a great video, just saw you got an article about it on nofilmschool too. Totally deserve it and more ! We'll probably get to talk some more around other geeky topics ;) 

Beautiful work.  I also have the NX1 and stunning results.  I want to buy the 85mm Samsung but I rented one that continually fidgeted in trying to focus during filming.  I mean like two - three times a second.  Have you used this lens?  Or does anyone reading this lens have this result?  I'd like to buy one to finish my homeless documentary, which has a great deal of nighttime available light of the unfortunates in the rainy streets of LA. This is shot with Samsung's 16-50mm f 2.8.

Fletch.jpg