Nikon Zf - A New Compact Full Frame Camera

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Decision made, I am getting one.

Why? Because I have spendyitis vulgaris?

Nope. Because it's only the second time in my life I have been inspired by a camera.

The last time was Spring 2011 when the original Fuji X100 was announced.

I drove 200 miles to a trade show in March to see and handle the thing and knew instantly it was right for me so preordered and had one of the first available in the UK.

It arrived the day prior to my first wedding of the season so I took it alongside my pair of Nikon D3S's with big boy zooms.

It was an instant revelation shooting bridal prep right up to the point the battery ran out of juice which coincided with the end of bride prep. Oops.

Viewed the files when I got back and preferred them over the so called 'pro' camera files. There was a certain 'filmic/organic' look to them that has never been replicated by any camera I have ever used.

I bought some more batteries and increasingly used that little guy over my pro cameras before actually shooting a large chunk of the season with just the X100.

With hindsight, that was a little bonkers so as soon as the X Pro-1 was announced for the following year, I preordered a pair plus all 3 launch lenses and dumped the big Nikon stuff.

Again with hindsight, it was probably a bit much/too little but I traded 'image quality' and joy of use for outright capability and range.

Nothing has come close since.

OK, the X Pro 2 did and so did the XH1 and more recently, the S1H, but none of these have really captured the intangible magic that the original X100 did.

Today, I reckon a X100V might, but I think I have been there and done that now and it would not be another 'X100 moment'.

I am pretty sure the Zf will be. I'm not expecting to get those same 'filmic/organic' files that the original X100 produced. I think that was off it's time, but instead, at the very least, the ethos and joy of using such a set up. But so so much more capable and without the shortcomings (crap battery life, super slow start up time and AF) of the X100.

My education and career was for 5+ years on F2's or 3's, - it's that long ago, I'm not entirely sure so there is some heritage there just as my first proper camera was a Fuji STX2 that my grandparents gave me for my 16th birthday, which fostered a sense of nostalgia when I went fully Fuji in 2012.

I have maybe 7 seasons left in this industry. We'll see about that, but 30 years I think is probably long enough and I think I am heading back to my roots and Nikon to see out those years.

Not 100% committed yet, but I do have a need now to have something relatively lightweight and compact and around 35-50mm for at least 50%+ of my stills work so am going to get a Zf with the 40mm f2 SE lens as a very minimum for that very purpose.

Beyond that, it's in Lumix's hands... They either produce a S2R or S2H within the next few months, or it will be Nikon all the way for me. It might still be Nikon regardless, but I need to give Lumix that chance because it will be a big and relatively costly move.

Or it could even be a Nikon/Lumix mix as my S1H could easily be re-purposed into the mix as my dedicated static longer form video capture tool at which it excels.

• 4 weeks later...

D Day is tomorrow Amazon France assures me, after several delays due to stock.

It will then become my principal stills camera with the 40mm f2 for every day and candid work, the Tamron 35-150mm f2/2.8 for ceremonies, speeches and couple stuff plus the Tamron 20-40mm f2.8 (adapted unless they bring out a Z Mount option within the next 5-6 months) for my wide requirements, but I will not now be getting a Z9 body to accompany it.

At least not until next Winter soonest.

Finances more than anything with even used Z9's still at 5.5k+ here in France, I can't justify it after a stupidly high unexpected tax bill due to a mistake on the tax people's side 😒

It comes down to a year of occasional lens swaps, maybe 5-6 times over a 12 hour typical shoot, or spend 5.5k. My head says I can't swing that.

Ideally, I'd flip everything and go all in on Nikon as my heart has gone back to them and for me, it ticks all of my boxes, but instead, 2024 will now be a hybrid year of Nikon for stills and Lumix for video.

This is no bad thing as Lumix did and still does shine for me.

The all singing all dancing wunderkind that is the S1H is going back into primary video unit role with one S5ii for longer static stuff and gimbal, and then selling the other S5ii and 3x now redundant lenses.

It's a slightly tighter, but more capable set up, especially on the stills side and whilst not the absolute ideal, ticks all my boxes.

Over the course of next year, I will try out some Zf video capability though just to see how it stacks up against the S5ii.

Anyone else getting a Zf? I can think of at least 3 other people who I think will be tempted at the very least... 

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Anyone else getting a Zf? I can think of at least 3 other people who I think will be tempted at the very least... 

I had a play with one in Japan last week.

If they had one in stock then it may have been a challenge to not at least go and have a coffee and a serious think.

Particularly considering my off again/very much even more off again relationship with the S5ii during that trip.

29 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

If they had one in stock then it may have been a challenge to not at least go and have a coffee and a serious think

I find that it is pretty rare these days to find any kind of real connection with something that is arguably, just a lump of metal of metal and plastic.

Says the person who has not even handled one yet...

As mentioned once or twice before, despite having owned dozens and dozens of cameras, the only time I have ever felt a camera was 'made' for me, was the original X100.

Nothing has even come close since. 

Liked a few and even 'loved' a few others, but never with quite that same degree of connection.

The spec aside (which is great), having come from that almost grip-less X100 and rangefinderesque background of X Pro bodies with small lenses, I already know. Sometimes, you just do.

And like that original X100, it kind of came out of nowhere.

If the Zf is not a 'X100 on steroids' experience for me, then I will gladly eat large mouthfuls of keyboard humble pie.

Isn't going to happen.

Full circle achieved...

Nikon_Zf_FM2_front.thumb.jpeg.7308f18193d87e0d4e30434c18204295.jpeg

Starting 36 years ago, I spent 5 years shooting and in the dark room with the camera on the left and then after a 10 year break from the industry, returned to it shooting weddings with one camera loaded with colour and the other, B&W.

How far have we come now that it can do both, without ever having to load or change a roll of film and the cost of doing the equivalent, absolutely nothing. And at a flick of a switch, 4k video with up to 8 stops of IBIS.

Other than a quick set up and play, not had a chance to properly put it through it's paces yet but it's got some mojo...

In a study by Me et al, earlier this evening, my conclusion is that some folks over-analyse some things and as a result, spout BS.

I on the other hand, had an enjoyable walk/photoshoot this afternoon that neither made me feel ‘warm’ or ‘cold’ or ‘fuzzy nostalgic’, with the side benefit of some exercise, fresh air and Vitamin D.

Which is probably more than some sad fcuker got bashing his keyboard in his parents spare bedroom.

I did however have Pet Shop Boys greatest hits on Spotify earlier and wallowed in a bit of late 80’s / early 90’s musical nostalgia 😉

I liked the link to the article about nostalgia. The author had also written an article about the positve effects about nostalgia, which are implied and referred to in the linked article. I would enjoy a 1 to 1 digital version of an Olympus 35RC btw. I have not read patronizing into Kubrickians post. I do read passion about the camera in your post and I am looking forward to your findings. @MrSMWNot keen on cussing about parents extra bedrooms. They are perfectly suitable for starting an enterprise for many people I bet. Psychology is helpful in doing so. So is the link imo in giving some food of thought in the periphery of camera design. I am sure you had a great afternoon and you will share something enjoyable to read. The link above to me was a great find and read as well. My favorite design is the GF1, maybe for nostalgia. Don't know. Will buy a GX1 some time soon, sold my GF1. Some one was super keen on it. Nostalgia it was not in that case I know.:)

• Administrators
On 10/20/2023 at 10:41 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I had a play with one in Japan last week.

If they had one in stock then it may have been a challenge to not at least go and have a coffee and a serious think.

Particularly considering my off again/very much even more off again relationship with the S5ii during that trip.

Looks like Canon wants in on the game too

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/canon-asks-customers-which-classic-film-camera-it-should-bring-back

Perhaps they can bring back those nice vintage FD lenses as well 🙂

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Looks like Canon wants in on the game too

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/canon-asks-customers-which-classic-film-camera-it-should-bring-back

Perhaps they can bring back those nice vintage FD lenses as well 🙂

Maybe a nod to the fact that within the next five years it might well only be old duffers who want to buy "real" cameras so they are looking to mirror the Morgan sports car approach to the mid-life crises.

We'll all be cutting about taking images on our faux 70s cameras wearing a tweed hat and driving gloves.

This will be us at IBC 2026

jackVictor.jpeg.18dcc042b4919cc55a049213cf3f0008.jpeg

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Perhaps they can bring back those nice vintage FD lenses as well

That's really all that's missing for the Zf, ie, the most recent lenses don't look the part, apart from the 28 and 40 SE versions.

It would be great if they could pop out a 70 and a 90 at least, even if just f2.8

OK, there is some older F Mount stuff with the optional adapter and it all looks the part but without modern AF, coatings etc, not what some folks are looking for.

I'm one of the latter and currently toying with what I do for my second companion camera option and have narrowed it down to so far:

Option 01 = A used Z9 + Tamron 35-150mm f2-2.8 with the Tamron (adapted unless they bring it out in Z Mount) 20-40mm f2.8...but we're talking 8.5k euros minimum to purchase, or,

Option 02 = A used Z6ii with battery grip + adapted Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 G2 (because it's better than the Tamrikon 70-180) + the 17-28mm f2.8, which is around 4.5-5k euros, or, 

Option 03 = A second Zf body with pairing of Nikkor Z 105mm f2.8 and 28mm f2.8 SE at around 3.5-4k euros as both of the lenses are available used.

The first option has the most all round potential and longevity built into it and is the ultimate hybrid set up, so perfect for me.

The second option ticks most of the above, but has less flexibility trading essentially the 35-150 for the 70-180. At certain points in the day, this is not ideal.

The third option on one level, perhaps even the most important one, is the most photo-centric and really the point of my at least partial switch from fully Lumix to a Lumix (video) and Nikon (stills) set up.

The whole point of the Zf for me is not to wallow in some kind of nostalgia at the expense of usability, but actually get back that feeling of actually being a photographer again at the same time as being a videographer.

Hence my separation of the two systems.

I'm not a fan of zooms for stills though they make better sense for me for video, so a 2 camera + zoom video kit plus 2 camera + primes stills set up, works for me.

I'm still researching the 105mm, but it doesn't look entirely out of keeping (a factor) and it's looking like Option 03 is probably the one I will settle on, ie, 2x Zf + 28 + 40 + 105 primes.

If only the 105mm worked with the 1.4x and 2x adapters, but unlike the Sigma equivalent, it doesn't sadly 😔

10 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Black and white compare between Zf and Leica Mono

I’m still trying to decide if this feature is a gimmick or not because of course you can set any modern camera to shoot raw + Jpeg and then select any B&W option any model offers.

With the Zf, they have made it a feature by having it at the flick of a switch.

I used it for my first photo walk actually and then edited the colour raw files side by side with the B&W Jpegs.

The B&W Jpegs were/are really nice but on a typical shoot, I want every…or at least the greater majority in colour so makes more sense to me to see and shoot in colour and then do my B&W versions from select colour edited pics.

But then again, there is something to be said for seeing an entire shoot in B&W through the viewfinder and only later revealing the results in colour…

Not decided yet. I’m off to Ireland for a week later today and am planning on taking the B&W approach and may very well continue with this approach if only as one more point of separation between shooting stills and video on the same job.

I will also be testing out it’s video capability and especially the IBIS because if it is better than that of the S5ii as on paper it is supposed to be, there is a chance I might shoot Nikon video in 2024 when as things stand, the plan is Nikon stills and Lumix video…

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I’m still trying to decide if this feature is a gimmick or not because of course you can set any modern camera to shoot raw + Jpeg and then select any B&W option any model offers.

BW switch is just a retro vibe UI. The point of this comparison is the quality of SOOC in tonality and contrast. The popular notion is that its not easy to get "leica bw look" with bayer pattern sensor. Which is nonsense.

We hear the same in videography forums: its not easy to get Arri look from any camera! 

5 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

BW switch is just a retro vibe UI. The point of this comparison is the quality of SOOC in tonality and contrast.

Yes I know and am not disagreeing but also curious if this feature is anything more than a dedicated dial…which I suspect it is, rather than what you get with a dedicated mono camera.

Regardless, how much difference can there be and a conversion from raw is probably going to offer more anyway?

9 hours ago, MrSMW said:

But then again, there is something to be said for seeing an entire shoot in B&W through the viewfinder and only later revealing the results in colour…

I assume that's really the main purpose (beyond being a marketing gimmick) of having a dedicated switch position - enabling a quick flip to B&W for composition purposes, especially if intending to generate some B&W pictures from the RAWs afterwards.