THE Big Question

MrSMW

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Evgeniy85 said:

I don't think so.

It was hard to follow because there were a lot of characters, and it was cutting between different timelines, which made it hard to follow. I was expecting a different movie. 

That is where having a Physics degree will benefit me 😉

As expect it would be lot easier for me to follow along, as I already know the various timelines, and I already know nearly all the main characters involved in this.

Because it's based on physics history, The Manhattan Project after all was one of the biggest ever physics projects ever! (if you ignore space related stuff, as their costs are obscene, then The Manhattan Project is I think still the most expensive ever! Although, with the projected costs for ITER, then it might be higher in the end by the time it is finished)

So anybody with a bit of interest in Physics, and has studied Physics, would be very familiar with The Manhattan Project.

I saw Oppenheimer yesterday in IMAX. Amazing film, a must-see in the theatre. The sound is so important to the film, and unless you have a multi-thousand dollar surround system (and even then i doubt that's sufficient) you won't get the full experience.

I'm not a huge Nolan fan, I like most of his movies, don't love them (I do love Interstellar and Dunkirk and Insomnia), but this one is great.

The IMAX filming really adds a lot. Shallow DOF is used to well and the special Kodak black and white IMAX film that was made for it looks gorgeous, but in a very unique way.

Great performances from Cillian and Robert Downey Jr.

Biggest issue: some dialogue is hard to hear. This has been a problem with Nolan from The Dark Knight Rises to Interstellar to Tenant (it was especially bad in Tenant). Nolan has said he doesn't care and that moviegoers are being "conservative" about sound design. He needs to pull his head out of his ass about that. If you can't hear the dialogue in a movie like Oppenheimer, you will not follow the story. Most of the film is scenes of dialogue!

It wasn't nearly as bad as Tenant in that regard, though. Just a few times I couldn't make out what was said.

Best film of the year so far.

Barbie is the next film I am seeing, very excited for that one.

5 minutes ago, M_Williams said:

I saw Oppenheimer yesterday in IMAX. Amazing film, a must-see in the theatre. The sound is so important to the film, and unless you have a multi-thousand dollar surround system (and even then i doubt that's sufficient) you won't get the full experience.....

Also, Hoyte van Hoytema's cinematography is spectacular. He shot Dunkirk and Interstellar and Tenant too and I think he's really brought a lot to Nolan's films over Wally Pfister before him. He also shot Nope using the novel approach of infrared Alexa 65 + 65mm film together. He was robbed of an Oscar nom for that (actually should have won, imo).

Oppie won. 

I would rather have seen it in IMAX, but no such thing around here other than local rural French cinemas (think 1980’s UK or US) and though in English language, with French subtitles.

Great film, really enjoyed it but yes, some of the dialogue was tricky in places. At the time I thought maybe it was too low in the cinema, but seems like it was more than that.

3 hours ago, M_Williams said:

I saw Oppenheimer yesterday in IMAX.

<snip>

Biggest issue: some dialogue is hard to hear. This has been a problem with Nolan from The Dark Knight Rises to Interstellar to Tenant (it was especially bad in Tenant). Nolan has said he doesn't care and that moviegoers are being "conservative" about sound design. He needs to pull his head out of his ass about that. If you can't hear the dialogue in a movie like Oppenheimer, you will not follow the story. Most of the film is scenes of dialogue!

Interesting..  I thought this was a good explainer:

TLDR; Nolan only mixes for the best theatres, and doesn't care about shittier ones.

I guess that arrogance has run its course, since you saw it on IMAX and still couldn't hear it!

On 7/26/2023 at 2:52 AM, kye said:

Interesting..  I thought this was a good explainer:

TLDR; Nolan only mixes for the best theatres, and doesn't care about shittier ones.

I guess that arrogance has run its course, since you saw it on IMAX and still couldn't hear it!

This is interesting, but personally, I think it's a stupid way to approach this. Yes, make it sound best for the theatres, but the film won't be in theatres forever. A lot of people are going to watch it at home - probably most people will watch it at home over the course of X number of years.

But, more importantly, this is really a problem exclusive to Nolan. When I was the TDKR opening scene preview before Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (in IMAX at Universal) I couldn't understand 80% of what Bane was saying. I think they went back after a lot of the complaints and remixed it, because it was better in the full release.

I watched everything with subtitles at home. But when you have a film like Oppenheimer, which has some of the most intense sound effects and music I've ever heard in a theatre, as well as being almost completely dialogue-driven, you gotta make that sh*t understandable. Same with Tenet, where you wouldn't understand the plot at all if you couldn't hear the dialogue.

I dunno, I just never have this problem with any movies other than Nolan films. Maybe a few lines here and there obviously, but not entire movies.

That said, I don't think I missed out on anything important, it's just really frustrating. Tenet was waaaay worse.

I couldn't tell that that was Gary Oldman... I was actually surprised he was in the movie...
For the most part, I followed along... *SPOILER ALERT* I didn't understand Downey's character motivations and his need for personal vendetta; its like nobody else has ever insulted him before.... really? So, growing up in that era no one bullied you? So, you are going to create this overly complicated scheme to discredit you through a tribunal to remove your security access? Huh? You take away his security clearance, are you saying that Oppenheimer couldn't teach/work at a University? At that point, Oppenheimer felt guilty - I don't think he wanted to work on the H-Bomb... 

*ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT* Sorry - but Nolan's need for practical effects didn't really work for me.... we all know about the mushroom cloud... there are images of it from Hiroshima and Nagasaki, didn't see it in the movie. And, the paper flapping on that ladies face, you know what I am talking about... I didn't even see it on IMAX - that couldn't have been good for IMAX.