THE Big Question

MrSMW

On 7/26/2023 at 8:52 AM, kye said:

Interesting..  I thought this was a good explainer:

TLDR; Nolan only mixes for the best theatres, and doesn't care about shittier ones.

I guess that arrogance has run its course, since you saw it on IMAX and still couldn't hear it!

I have not seen oppenheimer, but this is something I have thought about movies in general. The dialogue is allways so clear and loud and constant throughout movies. 

And while cinematography is always a style choice to overlight/underlight something, where in some films or shows most is black (I remember the game of thrones hate). For voice audio it is not so the case, everything is allways so unnaterally clean and clear.

Maybe I am alone in this, as I have tinnitus and have this problem in real life, where I often don't hear what anyone is saying and have to ask to repeat it because the dialogue clip of a person is not mixed out like in the movies.

But yeah I can imagine it beeing super annoying, having an actor deliver a line and while watching the movie (without lip readers) nobody can make up what the character just said. (Maybe in that case just op for a show don't tell kinda approach).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I will say (about to play my bragpipes here) that seeing Oppenheimer in 70mm IMAX at the Chinese Theatre in downtown Hollywood — the largest traditional IMAX screen in the world — was truly mindblowing; the sound mix was beautiful, no problems hearing the dialogue at all. 

I'll have to catch in a regular cinema and see how much worse it is in comparison. Huge improvement over Tenet though, which was so loud it actually hurt my ears, and I couldn't understand the majority of dialogue. Although, let's be honest, even with crystal clear mixing and subtitles, that plot is still completely unintelligible anyway. 

I thought Barbie was pretty bad though. Beautiful production design, solid performances, but a lot of jokes that didn't land at all, and a didactic, preachy mess of a script in my opinion. Fun weekend at the movies all around though, regardless of which one you saw. Definitely felt like "movies were back." Hope it stays that way!