New Lens Launch - Samyang 35-150mm f/2-2.8 For E-Mount

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I wish Sigma would come out with something like this for L, F and N Mount as well as the usual E because many of us non-Sony users are crying out for a lens like this.

In fact, if anything, scrap the f2 aspect which is only available something like 35-40mm and just make it a constant aperture f2.8 so maybe a little smaller and lighter…

And internal zoom if possible…

E Mount certainly has the most exciting glass (for me) right now, especially Tamron with their zooms.

4 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

In fact, if anything, scrap the f2 aspect which is only available something like 35-40mm and just make it a constant aperture f2.8 so maybe a little smaller and lighter…

I took would not be opposed to this.

I do hope more of these companies start making L-mount versions now that the system has seen an increase in interest.

I quite like the little FE primes Samyang makes. These features seem interesting, assuming they actually work as intended. 

1) Dolly Zoom Shot: The Dolly Zoom is a powerful in-camera cinematic technique. A professional dolly can be expensive and challenging to operate, but this lens allows you easily take the dolly shot.

2) Cinematic Video AF: When shooting video, the AF speed is more carefully adjusted than photo shooting, resulting in lower wobbling and highly stable movie shooting.

3) Linear MF Focus Control: Provides convenience to video shooters by matching the torque of the focus ring as closely as possible to that of a manual focus lens when shooting video in manual mode.

4) Digital Par-Focal: Digital Par-focal is specialized for video shooting as it can maintain focus on the subject when zooming in or out. Since this function is usually mounted in expensive cine zoom lenses, it provides a more special experience and results to customers who use this zoom lens.

I hope with this second zoom lens from Samyang they learned their lessons from their first zoom lens? As I think it got a kinda bad rap for being poor build quality? Hopefully this second go at a zoom lens is built to a higher standard. 

35-150 is a really nice focal range for shooting people, where a 24-70 isn't quite as long as I'd like.

I rarely go wider than 35mm unless it's a building. But I do find myself switching between 24-70 and 70-200 a lot. I think I'd have fewer lens changes with this focal range.

For decades, fixed lens compact film cameras were 35mm. It was considered wide enough to fit the people around the birthday table in the shot. 

1 minute ago, hyalinejim said:

I rarely go wider than 35mm unless it's a building. But I do find myself switching between 24-70 and 70-200 a lot.

Same here regarding 35mm. 
Well actually I prefer 28mm these days as it gives me a little more wriggle room, but I could live with 35.

In my DSLR days, the 24-70 on one body and 70-200 on another was the staple of us wedding photography types, but I haven’t had one or anything longer than 150mm in a decade.

Do I want one? Well yes and no… Yes as in principle but no as in every current offering is too big and heavy. Well full frame or Fujis 50-140 crop equivalent.

Even any standard 24-70 is too much for my tastes these days but when Sigma popped out the 28-70 I was all over that.

Optically virtually indistinguishable, Sigmas 18-50mm apsc lens is tiny and incredible really with its 27-75mm FF equivalent.

I really do hope they come out with a 70-200 version of the 28-70, ie smaller and more compact than anything else (FF) on the market, but I would without a single thought, give them up for a single 35-150 if it was available in L Mount and no slower than f2.8

I have been tempted over the last 12 months or so to switch to Sony just so I could use the Tamron 35-150 for all outdoor work as my one and done.

Coupled with the 20-40 for indoor is a perfect 1 body + 2 lens combo for me whereas 24-70 plus 70-200 is a 2 body only option.

14 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Sigmas 18-50mm apsc lens is tiny and incredible really with its 27-75mm FF equivalent.

Nice one! This would be great as a travel / family lens. I don't think I'd give up my 24-70 for work. In APSC mode it goes to 105, which is handy. I do get fed up of hand-holding it though, so something lighter and smaller would be fun to shoot with.

Ah… Slightiy surprising then as Tamron tend to have more built in OIS or VC as they call it, than most.

I would also rather have it and maybe if they had gone constant f2.8, it would have had it?

Anyway, it doesn’t so…

The Samyang is either a blatant rip off or perhaps they were developed together behind the scenes?

The Samyang is a whole lot cheaper though!

I have it yes and not 100% sure of the answer…

It’s packed up right now as I am heading off to my second job of the year in a short while but I think so…

I’m only shooting it 4k 50p and just edited 1 job with it that had a lot of vertical architecture in the background and it just looked ‘normal’?

My tech skills go as far as:

A: Does it look right?

B: Did it do what I needed it to do?

The only changes I am making between this next job and the first is whacking the sharpening down to -5. Because I forgot to do that when setting it up for the first time.

Otherwise the only thing I have noticed is the colour difference between it and the S1H. The S1H is just better.

Define better?

See A: & B: above 👆 

On 4/6/2023 at 10:06 AM, IronFilm said:

I hope with this second zoom lens from Samyang they learned their lessons from their first zoom lens? As I think it got a kinda bad rap for being poor build quality? Hopefully this second go at a zoom lens is built to a higher standard. 

Same question as me.

This week I was looking the lenses available for Sony and found the 1st Samyang zoom - and the B&H reviews are littered of people which had the mount ripped form the lens; it is a heavy lens, and the mount is screwed to a plastic shell.

Let's hope that this newer one is better.

On 4/7/2023 at 1:19 PM, MrSMW said:

I have it yes and not 100% sure of the answer…

It’s packed up right now as I am heading off to my second job of the year in a short while but I think so…

I’m only shooting it 4k 50p and just edited 1 job with it that had a lot of vertical architecture in the background and it just looked ‘normal’?

My tech skills go as far as:

A: Does it look right?

B: Did it do what I needed it to do?

The only changes I am making between this next job and the first is whacking the sharpening down to -5. Because I forgot to do that when setting it up for the first time.

Otherwise the only thing I have noticed is the colour difference between it and the S1H. The S1H is just better.

Define better?

See A: & B: above 👆 

Is this also an EF-S lens? I am spoiled with the incredible 16-50mm 2-2.8f NX lens, and I am searching for something similar for the R7..the lens situation keeps me still with my whole NX gear at the moment, and I do not want big and heavy for these low level jobs..

Ideally, I would take a 16-XX zoom anyday.. especially if we talk RF-S which is X1.6 relative to full frame, not X1.5 that other crop cameras are..