Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

They've registered two new cameras in China recently:

P2301A.jpg

According to 43rumours: https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-officially-registered-another-new-model-in-china-we-now-have-two-cameras-coming-soon/

Panasonic now has a total of TWO cameras registered in China. Usually it takes up to a couple of months until registered models get officially announced:

• Camera “P2303A” has dual 5.1/2.4GHz support indicating it’s a mode advanced model (Could be GH7 or SR1II)
  • Camera “P2301A” has 2.4GHz support “only” which indicates this is a more entry level model (Could be fixed lens camera or entry level MFT or some BG video model)

How long is it normally between wild YouTuber parties and NDAs elapsing?

17 minutes ago, kye said:

How long is it normally between wild YouTuber parties and NDAs elapsing?

I think it's 1 to 3 months.

There's a possibility that it's a high-speed shooter of sorts, just in time for the Olympics, a common release version for manufacturers in General. Then again, it would seem rather late for that as photographers and videographers would want ample time with the camera to see any bugaboos.

2 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

I'd go for a high-res S5 ii, as they've already done the video-centric 'x' version of the S5 ii.

If it is that, any bets on it supporting 8k video?

I have a very vague recollection that a Panasonic rep said that they weren't interested in going to 8K, but who knows if that was correct or if something might have changed.

The idea of having a base model, a video variant and a high-res stills variant is a pretty common one now.

6 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

If it is that, any bets on it supporting 8k video?

4 hours ago, kye said:

I have a very vague recollection that a Panasonic rep said that they weren't interested in going to 8K, but who knows if that was correct or if something might have changed.

It's a spec war; they'll have to, regardless whoever says what. Of course, the same argument could have been make about PDAF and it too them how long? I guess we'll soon find out if they learned something from all of that.

About 8K, from Camera Beta:

The news about the previously registered Leica new machine has been updated: it is rumored that the new machine uses a 60 million pixel sensor, which can achieve 240 million pixels, equipped with 6.5 levels of anti-shake, equipped with phase focusing, a continuous shooting speed of 9 frames per second, and supports 30 Frame 8k video shooting.

8 hours ago, John Matthews said:

It's a spec war; they'll have to, regardless whoever says what. Of course, the same argument could have been make about PDAF and it too them how long? I guess we'll soon find out if they learned something from all of that.

Yes - If Panasonic is intent on being a significant player in the full-frame hybrid market, they have to offer 8k video now that Sony, Canon & Nikon offer it. Fuji even have it on the sub-$2000 (APS-C) X-H2.

As Panasonic and Leica have been long-term camera development partners, if Leica are going to have 8k video on a camera soon Panasonic can't really be far behind in offering it. I'd be very surprised if the the new Leica doesn't have largely Panasonic electronics and software inside it.

• Super Members
26 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

if Leica are going to have 8k video on a camera soon Panasonic can't really be far behind in offering it.

Its secondary to its stills use and hence there isn't that much example footage from it, but the Q3 has 8K video.

Which is the expected nod to it arriving in an arguably overdue refresh of the S1 range in the not too distant future.

My guess is that is what this gathering is for rather than a GH7.

Unless its the bi-annual meeting of the Shocked Face Clickbaiters Association. 

3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I don't expect this to be another S5ii variation. I think they view the S5 line as their affordable entry level full frame camera and a high resolution version would be anathema to that, even if it was competitively priced in the $3000-3500 range.

The only reason I said that is because Panasonic seems to be recycling the S5 body (S5ii, S5iix, G9ii).

2 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Texas possibly?

Otherwise my money is on a next gen S1/R/H.

There were horses and monkeys, so maybe sports something?

I recognised very few people there, so maybe it's the MFT YouTubers rather than the Sony FF fan club?

I still think full frame.

I think an S5ii hi res model is not, or at least less likely and the GH6 too recent?

But Lumix badly NEED a replacement for the pro S line.

Nikon has Z8 and Z9, Canon R3 with R1 and probably R5ii, Sony A7RV, A1, A9iiiiiiiiii etc…

Has to be.

If Lumix wants to blow everyone out of the water ( now they have decent AF) they should release a S1H2 and a GH7 with some kind of ND. The S2 would be fine being a high res photo centric version without ND.

Also 6K open gate 50p no crop.

If they can do that for around 4000€ along with all their other strong points then I’m in.

Hi. Question to more experienced Panasonic S5II users. I have read about some AF and banding problems in this model and would like to figure out how much it could impact my real world usage of this camera.

I would like to use it for family stuff (two small kids), travel, street, landscape. I would mostly record in 4k 30p / 4k 60p in 10bit in some flat profile to do minor corrections afterwards. Maybe some V-log in the future if I find it easy enough.

1. I've read that S5 II has problems with human detection / tracking when there is more than one person in the frame and it starts to jump even if we try to force it to track one particular person. Is there a way to somehow lock focusing on the selected person ? Or the only way is to disable human detection and revert to zone / single focus point ?

2. If I would record in 10 bit in flat profile then how much I can be affected by banding in this situation ? Generally how easy is to get into banding issue or is it overblown and only affects users who push footage too hard ?

3. Bonus question is how eye AF works in stills ? I don't have huge requirements. Lately I tested Fuji X-S20 with my old XF 35 f1.4 and mostly I was happy with eye AF apart from situation when my kids moved faster. 

I would be grateful for some insights.

Honestly, why complicate your life... for family video take a Panasonic G9 MKII or a Sony 6700 for example... the AF will be almost perfect for you... that's the target: lighter, more stable, less expensive... 

Just a thought and have a nice day

6 hours ago, 92F said:

Honestly, why complicate your life... for family video take a Panasonic G9 MKII or a Sony 6700 for example... the AF will be almost perfect for you... that's the target: lighter, more stable, less expensive... 

Just a thought and have a nice day

Reason why I am looking at S5 II is full frame sensor. Apart from video I shoot a lot of photos. I forgot to mention that I do quite a bit of indoor shooting too. After testing and comparing A7C for example I see difference in low light, tonal transitions and I like more DoF flexibility for portraits (especially whole body). Bodies you suggested are quite nice especially A6700 but I would rather go with A7C II. G9 II though is a no go for me due to that small sensor. Thanks for suggestions.