Sign in to follow this  
jcs

GH4 4K w/FS700 and 3D VFX

We wanted to try compositing basic 3D VFX in the background with GH4 4K video (inspired by videogames I used to write). I used 3DS Max to create a simple scene with an alpha channel and tried to composite everything in Premiere Pro CC. Unfortunately, PPro (and AE) have issues with the 3DSMax alpha channel (not a premultiplied color issue) and the low levels of the alpha channel appear to get clipped, cutting off subtle glows, etc., making correct compositing impossible. So I moved the background plate into 3DS Max and rendered the 3D elements directly on top. I had originally planned for a much more complex 3D scene, including having objects come out of the background and go around her head, but the time spent trying to work around the compositing issue took too much time.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes you can use compositing basic 3D VFX in the background. I am graphic designer and I have lots of experience about the 3D composition. I belong from New York and I am working in this field since last 3 years. You said  that the 3D compositing taking too much time. As you said about the motion background I was also looking for that same to create my 3D motion graphics in New York.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ulrikjepsen
      I was recently a part of making a short movie, and the camera combination used, i thought might interest someone here. Also there might be someone thinking if the FS700 still works today, as i myself did. The film can be seen here (there are no subtitles, but the story is about a woman that gets stopped in the street by the police, because of the hoodie she is wearing. It's at satire on laws currently being implemented i Denmark)
      https://www.ekkofilm.dk/shortlist/film/trojen/

For the dialogue parts, we were cutting between a Gh5 and a sony FS700. It worked out great I think, all though it was difficult to get the colors to match. We were also filming outside, so that did not help, with the ever changing sun clouds. For lenses, we used a Canon 24-70 2.8 (with focal reducer) on the GH5, and a Tamron 17-50 2.8 on the FS700.
      Can you tell which is which?

camera A

camera B

I would not use this camera combo for anything that should be matched quickly, but if you have the time, the FS700 files in 10 bit prores slog and the GH5 10 bit vlog files, were super great to work with. The result is not perfect, but we like it. I love both cameras, and I am amazed how great the FS700 and the odyssey 7q are! We were afraid we would have to change batteries all the time, but big NP-F batteries lastede around 2 hours each (1 in the cam that lasted longer and 1 in the odyssey 7q). Mounted on a shoulder rig, the FS700 is also pretty comfortable, in comparison with for instance, an URSA Mini and weighs about the same, with the odyssey. The buttons are a pain to reach though.
      For those interested, the dialogue was recorded with at Røde NTG1 shotgun mic to a Tascam 60d.
      Here are some other shots from the film.
      (if there is banding in the footage where you see it, it is jpeg/web compression, it is not in the final video file.)

• By Thecryptolounge
      Rarely used this bad boy, mainly bought it for my wedding a couple years back. Other than that it’s in great condition. Will sell it with the battery and the 32GB SD.
      Askig: $700

• By Sandeepthefifth
      Hey all, I'm looking to shoot a narrative short film with controlled lighting early next year and am thinking about shooting it on my original BMPCC...
      I know, I know. No 4K, terrible low-light, and horrible battery life. But if 1080p was fine, controlled lighting throughout, and an external battery solution, is it better for me to use the original and cancel my 4K pre-order? I could use the money saved to pay for an additional cine prime/actually pay actors a decent wage...
      What would be the advantages in this case of using the 4K over the original?
    • By Bradley Bjornstad
      Hello there. For sale is my well cared for and maintained Blackmagic URSA Mini EF 4K + Gold mount + Battery + 256 GB CFast 2 + Top handle & more! This package is ready to shoot!
      I handle my gear with great care. This is an amazing camera that makes incredible images. I am downsizing all my gear and sadly decided to sell this for other expenses.
      $2,575.00 + $55.00 shipping. 
      This listing includes:
      • The camera - Ursa Mini 4K EF Mount (in product details it says Ursa 4K but it is in fact the Ursa Mini 4K EF to clarify)!
      • Fitted Hard Case for it.
      • Attached Gold Mount and 95wH Comer Gold Mount battery (only charged 3 times basically new). Works great with nice charge.
      • Delkin Cinema 256 GB CFast 2.0 card.
      • A Camvate top handle.
      • A d-tap travel charger for the battery and other cables included.
      DOES NOT include DaVinci Resolve dongle.
      PayPal ONLY, and no returns.

Any questions just write here or email me at: [email protected]
      Thank you so much for looking at my gear.
      Best wishes,
      Bradley

• By Bradley Bjornstad
      Hello all. I am selling my Atomos Ninja Flame set. Very nice set. Has only 15-20 hours of use. Extremely clean, and well maintained. I treat all of my gear with care and respect. This is a beautiful set! Almost like-new! $795.00 - plus shipping (insured at full $795). PayPal only.

It's hard to part with the recorder, because it is a great tool, and an amazing monitor - but all my main cameras have 4K built-in now, and I just never get to use it. I want it to go to a good home, where it will get a lot of use.
      Includes: Atomos Ninja Flame monitor/recorder, Hard case, NEW sun hood, original set of 5 master caddies, original charger, (2) original Atomos batteries, docking station, HDMI cable, original manual, NEW microfiber cleaning cloth, coiled D-tap to DC cable (never used), 2 power cords (one hasn't left packaging), Control Cable (2.5mm Female to 2x 2.5mm Male). Check out the pictures and see how well maintained and what a deal this is!

Thank you for looking and best wishes!