Former Atomos CEO Alleges ‘Rampant Illegality’ At The Company

BTM_Pix

He didn’t retire.  

He was told to step down for his blatant disregard for others at a time when Australia was at the full height of Covid lockdowns. 

https://www.couriermail.com.au/coronavirus/millionaire-jeromy-young-and-his-company-atomos-under-fire-after-superyacht-border-breach/news-story/d93a461fe002ecc6863590416bd6ccb3?amp&nk=1ee37250f95936b7d3d792c55479cfbd-1704752061

This behaviour might have been celebrated in the US, but it outraged the general public in Australia.

Now he’s done his time I guess?

The toxic culture mentioned in the subsequent lawsuit was well established during his tenure. I’m assuming it will be business as usual for these crooks. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, JulioD said:

This behaviour might have been celebrated in the US, but it outraged the general public in Australia.

Not in my neck of the woods. When the pandemic was at its peak, county authorities ordered Elon Musk to shut down the Tesla factory in Fremont, CA. He refused at first, claiming Tesla was an "essential business" (essential businesses were exempt from the order). Public outrage and pressure from the authorities finally got him to relent. This incident is believed by many to be the reason Musk decided to move the company headquarters to Texas.

Still got my shogun flame. Used it twice as a monitor and once as a recorder for one of my fs700 cams. Hardly worth in usage for the money I paid. Without a cage these things are hardly usuable. Cages have been and still are around 120eu on the bay. I doubt the benefit for it other than usuage as a monitor. It was a haveto when filming in the bright sun for the ACing but other than that I think I won't miss anything if I let that thing go. If a project comes up renting will have to do.

Reading this thread gives me the right impulse to sell that thing. So thanks for spreading the word. Hopefully someone will still be willing to buy that thing. Wish me good luck. cheers:)

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Without a cage these things are hardly usuable.

Do you mean they're not that usable without having a cage for the Shogun Flame?

Why is that?  Surely it's ok if you just mount it to the rig you have?

I must admit I have an attraction/repulsion reaction to external monitors.  Attraction because of their potential brightness, size, and resolution, but repulsion about the extra size, weight, need for a rig, extra batteries (and additional chargers etc), etc.  I keep having the following:

1. I should use the P2K
  2. P2K screen doesn't articulate and isn't visible outdoors
  3. I could use an external monitor for it
  4. What a PITA - I may as well use the M2K (BMMCC)
  5. M2K has rubbish buttons and having a rig is too big / cumbersome
  6. If only there was a way to get that image without a rig
  7. I should use the P2K.  (Go to step 1, loop......  forever!)

P2K has a very fragile micro hdmi out as you know, so I don't even bother. @kye I used it in in direct sunlight without rigging a monitor. I was testing a worst case scenario, carrying three xtra batteries and the 14mm F2.5 pancake at F11 and 360 shutter. I had so much fun and the results very so satisfying. I used single point AF on the lens, F11 on S16, you figure:) That way i was able to use the monitor only for framing and i prefocused my shots with pressing the focus button once or twice only during the take. I had posted that video here before. Such a great little camera with a great image. A pocket camera after all.:)

• Super Members
7 hours ago, kye said:
  • I should use the P2K
  • P2K screen doesn't articulate and isn't visible outdoors
  • I could use an external monitor for it
  • What a PITA - I may as well use the M2K (BMMCC)
  • M2K has rubbish buttons and having a rig is too big / cumbersome
  • If only there was a way to get that image without a rig
  • I should use the P2K.  (Go to step 1, loop......  forever!)

I think the Accsoon Seemo might cover a multitude of sins as it gives you all the monitoring facilities without having as much bulk as a Ninja etc as it uses your iPhone.

Accsoon-SeeMo-Review-scaled.thumb.jpeg.8928be7f1b10093b4af318e34c9d457b.jpeg

With the OG Pocket, the big advantage is that you can deploy it or not on a per needs basis as with it being your phone you are already carrying it with you so the only extra bulk you would be carrying is the unit itself which is basically the size of a phone holder (plus battery).

They are around £130 so not a particular bank breaker either.

https://accsoon.com/accsoon-seemo/

I don't want to break mine, so I decided not to use it. From what i read it's not possible to repair once it's broken and i read reports about breaking despite clamps and cages. But half cage with included clamp looks great. @BTM_PixHow do you feel about using it with an extra monitor and regarding its delicate micro hdmi port?

• Super Members
32 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

How do you feel about using it with an extra monitor and regarding its delicate micro hdmi port?

Its like everything else in that its breakable depending on circumstances.

I've broken far tougher cameras than the Pocket, including multiple Nikon D4 and D3 bodies which were built for very heavy duty wear and tear but not for bouncing off concrete.

So it happens and all you can do is mitigate it.

The clamp is the obvious step but also the cable in that if you use a right angled one then you can reduce the outside span of cable that it can then get snagged on.

Another mitigation is to use a right angle adapter and plug the monitor cable into that so if something happens then you are likely to damage the end that goes to the monitor instead of the camera port and can then replace the adapter.

Its interesting that people wring their hands about the camera port yet the input port on something like the Ninja V is equally vulnerable irrespective of it being full size HDMI.

SDI is the answer but I can assure you that they can get sheared off as well in the wrong circumstances.

At this particular moment, though, I'd be far more concerned about trying to get hold of media to use in the OG Pocket than its HDMI port.

39 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

SDI is the answer but I can assure you that they can get sheared off as well in the wrong circumstances.

At this particular moment, though, I'd be far more concerned about trying to get hold of media to use in the OG Pocket than its HDMI port.

It just seems that i don't wanna take a chance on the port nor rig the beauty up. I really enyoyed the restrictions and freedoms of using it barebones as I wrote above. 

I got two 64GB cards plus a 32one, all three working well but none for 50p raw 3:1. Read on this forum about more recent cards working without troubles iirc. Maybe we could do a og p2k or m2k cinema verité parade, you, @kye , @mercer , me and anyone else.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The word in the OG FB groups is Kingston SD cards work, with a number of accounts suggesting the file format used matters (the Mac one is better apparently - I think they mean ExFat) and some people suggest the green ones aren't so good and to get the blue or red ones.  I can't confirm though.

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

It just seems that i don't wanna take a chance on the port nor rig the beauty up. I really enyoyed the restrictions and freedoms of using it barebones as I wrote above. 

I got two 64GB cards plus a 32one, all three working well but none for 50p raw 3:1. Read on this forum about more recent cards working without troubles iirc. Maybe we could do a og p2k or m2k cinema verité parade, you, @kye , @mercer , me and anyone else.

My P2K and M2K are both ready to shoot!

Exited. Don't know what to film yet. Filming with F8 to 11 allowed me to use the single point AF without worries on the P2K and not have to worry about the screen for focus control in the bright sun. I got a small vari nd now for my panny 14mm, so i will give F4 a try. Exiting! Maybe some nature. Or 14-42 instead at 5.6. Didn't you suggest that vari fstop lenses from 14 to 42 give same dof as aperture closes down through the zoom range @kye? OIS will eat more battery though:) Or i go with the tevidon 10mm. But would need to fix the aperature with tape as its very loose. No VariND though for this one, meaning f11. Think it only goes till f8. Have to look. Tripod and a 90mm might be another thing of beauty. No Nds for that one as screw thread is damaged big time. Blue hour and freezin my ass off.:)

Anyone remembering that komodo test footage in LA from a female dop? I think our friend Don aka @webrunner5 posted that two years ago.

On 1/9/2024 at 8:07 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I think the Accsoon Seemo might cover a multitude of sins as it gives you all the monitoring facilities without having as much bulk as a Ninja etc as it uses your iPhone.

Accsoon-SeeMo-Review-scaled.thumb.jpeg.8928be7f1b10093b4af318e34c9d457b.jpeg

With the OG Pocket, the big advantage is that you can deploy it or not on a per needs basis as with it being your phone you are already carrying it with you so the only extra bulk you would be carrying is the unit itself which is basically the size of a phone holder (plus battery).

They are around £130 so not a particular bank breaker either.

https://accsoon.com/accsoon-seemo/

Tried something with a generic USB / HDMI converter and...aside from a bit of lag (not much more than the Panasonic's HDMI lag), worked surprisingly well.

Except for the lack of an app that had peaking - haven't found one. Tried that one from Accsoon, started well but locks after some seconds - probably it verifies if it form an Accsoon adapter.

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Exited. Don't know what to film yet. Filming with F8 to 11 allowed me to use the single point AF without worries on the P2K and not have to worry about the screen for focus control in the bright sun. I got a small vari nd now for my panny 14mm, so i will give F4 a try. Exiting! Maybe some nature. Or 14-42 instead at 5.6. Didn't you suggest that vari fstop lenses from 14 to 42 give same dof as aperture closes down through the zoom range @kye? OIS will eat more battery though:) Or i go with the tevidon 10mm. But would need to fix the aperature with tape as its very loose. No VariND though for this one, meaning f11. Think it only goes till f8. Have to look. Tripod and a 90mm might be another thing of beauty. No Nds for that one as screw thread is damaged big time. Blue hour and freezin my ass off.:)

Anyone remembering that komodo test footage in LA from a female dop? I think our friend Don aka @webrunner5 posted that two years ago.

The variable aperture zoom lenses aren't fixed DoF, but they're certainly close..

image.png.06d553a3de09da2df936a63986e3d2a4.png

image.png.07923e06cae500761fa6559abdf29cc1.png

image.png.2a44bc1a05549e1436913aab78a072df.png

...and I think you're talking about Mina Rhodes who did a bunch of Urban Symphony style videos like this one?

At the end of 2023 I purchased a Shogun Connect that turned in to a Shogun Ultra with a firmware upgrade. I don't really use the connect feature but I like Atomos focus peaking and I like the look of the screen more than the Blackmagic Video Assist. I also did not think that the BRAW was that much of an improvement over the internal GH6 codec. I do think that Pro Res RAW would be a step up if recording to 5.7k 60p in Pro Res RAW from the GH6, if only Blackmagic would support it natively with Resolve.

Hopefully one day, but I imagine from watching the video that Atomos is one of the reasons Resolve will never natively support Pro Res RAW.

BTW - Blackmagic I would rather pay you $100 to use Pro Res RAW in Resolve than pay for a third party for a license to transcode Pro Res RAW to Cinema DNG.

Anyway, despite the controversy, I like what I am seeing to Shogun Connect/Ultra screen and metal case seems solid, but I am not a fan of the internal fan...

On 1/10/2024 at 12:12 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I use this SmallRig half cage on mine which has a basic but effective HDMI clamp.

That is exactly what I did as well, except mine was a full size cage from Camtree. I never had to worry about the HDMI port ever!

On 7/6/2023 at 8:41 AM, ntblowz said:

The only thing I don't like is they use NZ flag 😂

It's confirmed that Jeromy Young is from the West Island of New Zealand.