Former Atomos CEO Alleges ‘Rampant Illegality’ At The Company

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

In May 2022, just over six months after her appointment as CEO, Estelle McGechie was fired from Atomos due to her being unwilling to re-locate to Australia.

At the time, it seemed a bit odd because you would have thought that her appointment to that senior role would have been contingent on her re-location from the get go.

According to a suit that she has now filed in the US, she claims that there was more to it than her relocation.

A lot more.

In addition to her claims about gender discrimination and a toxic corporate culture at Atomos, there are also allegations that there was 'rampant illegality' at the company with regards to shipping out 'dud' products to fraudulently inflate sales figures to meet projected targets.

One example product mentioned in her filing is the CAST switcher add on for the Ninja V range which was shipped without any functioning firmware.

575303000_ScreenShot2022-09-13at15_54_20.png.57a94a2a727bcf1db9a7917c19938b80.png

The other product mentioned is the Neon grading monitor which shipped with know deficiencies that rendered it outside of the capabilities detailed in its marketing literature and packaging.

1028203060_ScreenShot2022-09-13at15_54_51.png.750b2e3b4268ddd72a307ef0fa27e664.png

The CAST product interests me because I've been surprised that for something that is such an appealing product (turns your Ninja V into an ATEM) there has been very little buzz about it since it was launched and comparatively few reviews on YouTube and certainly none from the past few month.

Possibly now not as surprising as I'd originally felt.

The share price of Atomos in the past twelve months certainly wouldn't have been bringing a nice warm glow to investors anyway, but this latest news has knocked it further.

459317996_ScreenShot2022-09-13at15_50_57.png.0394f1fe50df7d4a3b01c0bb3610723f.png

Needless to say, Atomos have refuted all of Estelle McGechie's allegations so it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Full story here :

https://www.afr.com/rear-window/ex-ceo-alleges-rampant-illegality-at-ellerston-regal-backed-atomos-20220831-p5be2q

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Pure speculation on my part but I could tell something might be off when I went to their IBC dinner in 2019. Extremely odd behaviour by Jeromy. Then of course the way he parted ways so suddenly after being the figurehead of the company for ages, all points to potentially quite serious stuff.

I see she cited CineD in the lawsuit.

Wonder if EOSHD will get any links as well 😆

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Yannick Willox said:

If HP could do it ...

Yeah, I agree, tech company ships product that doesn't quite work yet isn't anything new.

The hair raising one was the Neon, though, claiming that it supported Dolby Vision (which it didn't) and they didn't have clearance to use Dolby Vision trademark. 

Its the latter that would have caused the bigger issue as it left them wide open to a lawsuit from Dolby, who are a company that do enjoy a lawsuit.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Then of course the way he parted ways so suddenly after being the figurehead of the company for ages, all points to potentially quite serious stuff.

I'm tempted to say he sailed off into the sunset but, of course, with his track record of providing false information to maritime authorities, it would be difficult to know where he was going 😉

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/millionaire-fined-after-allegedly-fleeing-covidravaged-nsw-on-superyacht/news-story/6adc305d55df77209dd07bc72a4df4ff

• Administrators

There is some absolutely shocking stuff in the legal docs

https://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2022/09/8.15.22-Complaint.pdf

Sir Hossein Yassaie I have actually met (man on far right of photo)

Seemed like a very decent bloke to me.

Surprised his name is in the lawsuit. Jeromy on the other hand I have always thought he was a complete tit.

EbJGdqOv.jpg-medium.jpeg

19 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The share price of Atomos in the past twelve months certainly wouldn't have been bringing a nice warm glow to investors anyway, but this latest news has knocked it further.

459317996_ScreenShot2022-09-13at15_50_57.png.0394f1fe50df7d4a3b01c0bb3610723f.png

Reason why I've already lost any remaining trace of faith in the human being's goodwill ability too. People all look like alike.

b0371975717d5c609b1417a53e194078874f5205.webp

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

I think this first paragraph resumes the whole story to my eyes and best bet :- )

I'm not sure I follow.

The public reason given by Atomos for firing here was that she wouldn't relocate to Australia but this is obviously something that she is contesting.

Do you think the public reason given was the whole story and sole reason ?

10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm not sure I follow.

The public reason given by Atomos for firing here was that she wouldn't relocate to Australia but this is obviously something that she is contesting.

Do you think the public reason given was the whole story and sole reason ?

I obviously cannot know but can guess. She didn't like to be fired for sure LOL ; ) One thing I know though: I wouldn't need to be shady or play all in darkness to not dare to hire her ;- )

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sounds like a big culture and personality clash going on.

But the harassment claims are on another level of darkness.

Assaulting the victim at an Atomos work event. Probably has a lot of witnesses if true.

Screenshot 2022-09-14 at 18.40.14.png

Exactly. If true, there will surely be witnesses...

• 4 months later...

Well here’s the story posted today on AFR.com

https://www.afr.com/technology/asx-tech-firm-atomos-settled-sexual-harassment-suit-made-staff-drugs-mule-20221027-p5btgn

“ASX tech firm Atomos settled sexual harassment suit, made staff ‘drugs mule’”

ASX-listed video technology firm Atomos agreed to pay out $60,000 to a staff member who alleged a former employee sexually harassed her and expected her to make cocaine and cannabis available to staff, amplifying the troubled tech company’s reputation as a “boys club”.

Atomos settled with Pamela Bloom in 2017, after her attorneys threatened to pursue a lawsuit against the company, though Ms Bloom claims she has only been paid two-thirds of the settlement.

One of Atomos' video display screens. 

“The whole culture of the company was full of partying, and I think it’s fair to say it was pretty loose,” Ms Bloom told The Australian Financial Review.

“But when I brought these allegations up everything was totally mishandled. It was a really, really horrible experience.”

The sexual harassment settlement is not the only time the company has been embroiled in allegations of maintaining a sexist and harmful workplace culture.”

Hopefully Panasonic will look at this and add support for BRAW to the S5II, just in case Atomos disappear and leave said camera without RAW support over HDMI.

Never understood why no mention has ever been made of BRAW for S5II (and GH6), perhaps it's something they were considering adding later, until then I'll stick to the original S5/S1.

It was always something about this company...I have myriads of stuff, even expensive things I don't need, but NOTHING from Atomos..I didn't like the way they moved in the industry (same with Red, I was never a fun, although I did work with some of their cameras).

I hope we don't see anything similar to Black Magic, because I believed in those guys! I have BM products (expensive ones) still on their boxes!

Companies offering raw through Atomos products was really weird also..why only through them? And what sinister meetings took place and shape things??!! No, I don't give them my money, I was always well treated by SmallHD and BM..

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...