Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, there's been a few people casually talking about them around here. I had messed around with some of the Jena and Flektogon Zeiss' (not the same... I know) and loved the look but the build quality is just not there. I have learned a lot about taking lenses apart, but even when they seem repaired... A couple months later and they break again. They're just not worth the hassle, well maybe in Europe where they can be found in abundance for next to nothing. Anyway, I searched the interwebs and found a few videos of the 1.7 on a rebel and a few on a gh4. The strange thing is that it improves the canon image and softens the 4K... Very strange. So, I found one on eBay for pretty cheap and figured what the hell. I sure would like that 28mm Hollywood lens though. 

Grabbed a zoom for less than $150. A bit pricy for vintage imo but It seemed nice.

IMG_20160112_200947.md.jpg

You're liking those Nikon zooms with the Red?

Grabbed a zoom for less than $150. A bit pricy for vintage imo but It seemed nice.

[..]

Cool! Andy had a good tip one time, the cheapish AI 35-70mm f/3.5 that renders closely to the Bourne ones (28-70 & 80-200mm f/2.8D). Perhaps your does too?

Yeah, there's been a few people casually talking about them around here. I had messed around with some of the Jena and Flektogon Zeiss' (not the same... I know) and loved the look but the build quality is just not there. I have learned a lot about taking lenses apart, but even when they seem repaired... A couple months later and they break again. They're just not worth the hassle, well maybe in Europe where they can be found in abundance for next to nothing. Anyway, I searched the interwebs and found a few videos of the 1.7 on a rebel and a few on a gh4. The strange thing is that it improves the canon image and softens the 4K... Very strange. So, I found one on eBay for pretty cheap and figured what the hell. I sure would like that 28mm Hollywood lens though. 

Yeah, the Planars and Distagons do look damn sexy. Wouldn't mind a set of those. But then again, who would? :) Well, I guess the conscience, wallet and wife.

Is it really that great of a lens? I know I am comparing apples to oranges, but for that kind of money you can get a mint Zeiss Distagon 28mm f2 "Hollywood" lens. 

a guy contacted me on instagram said he wanted $800 for it. For some reason I don't think it's worth it...well atleast in comparison to what I already have

a guy contacted me on instagram said he wanted $800 for it. For some reason I don't think it's worth it...well atleast in comparison to what I already have

I wouldn't pay that, but I understand why it's a sought after lens. For event videography and some commercial work, you can put the camera on a steadicam or shoulder rig and really nail the autofocus for some run and gun scenarios... and it's supposedly sharp as hell. Let me add, I think that's a good price if you need that lens. 

I wouldn't pay that, but I understand why it's a sought after lens. For event videography and some commercial work, you can put the camera on a steadicam or shoulder rig and really nail the autofocus for some run and gun scenarios... and it's supposedly sharp as hell. Let me add, I think that's a good price if you need that lens. 

shit if you want it I can tell him. I was going to either get a sigma 18-35 or nikkor 20mm f2.8 instead of that lens

shit if you want it I can tell him. I was going to either get a sigma 18-35 or nikkor 20mm f2.8 instead of that lens

Haha, nah I'm not interested in that lens. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be in the system... I am having too much fun with the G7. And eventually, as I said the other day, I may pick up a used Mark II. I had the Nikkor 20mm, it's a really nice lens. If you don't need the speed, some people swear by the 3.5 and f4 versions... Of course I don't know if they're any cheaper. I never used the Sigma, but I have only heard good things. A friend of mine has the 30mm and that's a real nice lens so I can only imagine the 18-35 is brilliant. I hear it's like a set of primes in a single lens. The only problem I have with the art lenses are that they're crop sensor lenses, so if you ever go full frame, they probably won't cover the sensor. 

Haha, nah I'm not interested in that lens. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be in the system... I am having too much fun with the G7. And eventually, as I said the other day, I may pick up a used Mark II. I had the Nikkor 20mm, it's a really nice lens. If you don't need the speed, some people swear by the 3.5 and f4 versions... Of course I don't know if they're any cheaper. I never used the Sigma, but I have only heard good things. A friend of mine has the 30mm and that's a real nice lens so I can only imagine the 18-35 is brilliant. I hear it's like a set of primes in a single lens. The only problem I have with the art lenses are that they're crop sensor lenses, so if you ever go full frame, they probably won't cover the sensor. 

same, I am interested in the raw workflow from the 5d. I am keeping my nx1 but it makes no sense to invest in anything Samsung (nx mount) right now. A Nikon lens can be used on any system and I think the sharpness from their native lenses is negligible. Hell I just invested in a ton of diffusion filters to actually combat the compression artifacts created from the high level of sharpness this camera produces lol. 5D with some nikkor lenses sounds like a better look to me

That is cheap. They go for 200-300€ around here. I wanted one, but got a great deal in the tokina 28-70. I would love a review once you test it out. If it's sharp at 2.8 I still might get one.

same, I am interested in the raw workflow from the 5d. I am keeping my nx1 but it makes no sense to invest in anything Samsung (nx mount) right now. A Nikon lens can be used on any system and I think the sharpness from their native lenses is negligible. Hell I just invested in a ton of diffusion filters to actually combat the compression artifacts created from the high level of sharpness this camera produces lol. 5D with some nikkor lenses sounds like a better look to me

Honestly, the only reason I am thinking about keeping the nx500 is because the 4K downscaled to 1080 looks amazing in b&w and I may have a short in a month or two that it may be perfect for. It seems the over sharpness doesn't affect black and white footage as much... Either performed in camera or desaturated in post.

And yeah, those Nikkors are work horses. So cinematically simple. 

I have a NX1 with two lenses 16-50 f2 / 2.8 and 50-150 F2.8. They are great for photography and video give a picture quality that I love, the problem is that in video for manual focus ring approach is too hard.

I do not have much money, so I'm looking for a relatively cheap lens, such as Porst Reflex Auto Color-55mm recommended in the EOSHD guide

Do you think this type of lenses would be a good option would solve my problem or  or is a better solution manual follow focus system like this amazon with my current lenses?.

the glass in this is the same as the Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 and the 80-200mm f2.8 - The Bourne Lenses as I call them - these are all stunning lenses all highly recomended , also the 20-35mm f2.8 Nikon , all have glass parity and you can cut these lenses together in an edit with no issues - same colour same contrast same blacks same sharpness ...perfect!!

• Super Members

the glass in this is the same as the Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 and the 80-200mm f2.8 - The Bourne Lenses as I call them - these are all stunning lenses all highly recomended , also the 20-35mm f2.8 Nikon , all have glass parity and you can cut these lenses together in an edit with no issues - same colour same contrast same blacks same sharpness ...perfect!!

Yup, its great.
Will be nice with the 17-35/2.8 I already have and the 80-200 that I have on the way.

Here is my first test with the 35-70/2.8.

this group of Nikon zooms are just amazing lenses , they really do rival PL mount cinema glass - just as good opically and a whole lot cheaper ,

The Nikon 80-200 2.8 is in my opinon Nikons finest lens , its just so good for shooting cinematic looking images . you do need to make a rig for it and support the lens on rods .

new Sony “G-Master” lens line! First lens is the 24-70mm f/2.8

Yes! We have the final proof Sony is about to launch a new f/2.8 zoom series! And we also found the officially Sony trademarked logo of this new lens series called “G Master”.
Sony will soon (at CP+?) announce the first of these lenses, the 24-70mm f/2.8 GM. The document in our hands doesn’t unveil any other details of the lens but this should be a Full Frame E-mount lens. It’s yet unclear how Sony will differentiate this lens line from current Zeiss zooms or Sony A-mount f/2.8 zooms. Maybe those are powerzooms or “cine-friendly” lenses like the Zeiss Master series?

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-this-is-the-logo-of-the-new-sony-g-master-lens-line-firts-lens-is-the-24-70mm-f2-8/ , sounds interesting. It was about time Sony started to pump out f/2.8 zooms. And videofriendly lenses would be a huge plus too of course. They have the fancy Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 G OSS which is kinda meant for 4K productions, but I believe that's pretty much it (and at f/4 it seems more of a ENG-shooter's choice rather than that of a filmmaker). And with cameras like the A7SII, you've got to give people the spoon to go with their soup. Combined with the launch of new mirrorless cams around CP+ (hopefully, fingers crossed), the force seems to be quite strong with Sony at the moment.

Im looking for a great set of new lenses. We went over to nikon for our photography needs, but I still film with the a7s. I want a set of primes, im still debating wether I should go for the nikon ais primes, contax zeiss primes, leica r glass or the samyang primes. 

Im a bit on a budget.

nikon ais is great but I dont like the size of the mount on the a7s. It makes the already poor ergonomics of the camera even worse