Lenses

Andrew Reid

Thank you guys! If I do get something like the Carl Zeiss Planar 85mm 1.4 or the Carl Zeiss 45mm Planar- which adapter do you recommend for my gh2? Is there a type of adapter that will give me better quality like the metabones adapters?

I'm thinking of the Carl Zeiss Planar 85mm 1.4 (from ebay) and then either the voigtlander 50mm or slr magic 50mm.. What do you think?

​I'm about to list a Novoflex C/Y > M4/3 adapter on ebay. Of all the adapters I've seen (including Metabones) Novoflex are the best: it fits both camera and lens perfectly. If you're looking to get Contax Zeiss glass for your GH2, you'll do no better!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

DX or FX? Now that I've picked up the D5300, I started looking at what uncle Ken has to say.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm

Ken loves the 35mm f/1.8, saying 'This could be the only lens you ever need for a DX camera'. And when he goes on about he 18-300mm... 'This Nikon 18-300mm is the new freedom lens. It does everything you'd ever need, from family to landscapes to portraits to sports to African safaris. This 18-300mm does it all. The only thing it doesn't do is have high optical speed for use in the dark without flash; for that one thing I love my inexpensive and excellent 35/1.8 DX.'

He makes it sound worthwhile for sure. I might need to look into those.

When I had the d5200 I had the 35mm DX. Wasn't a big fan I'm afraid. Flimsy focus ring with infinite rotation and no distance scale.

I'll be using the lens on a speed booster with my Panasonic GX7. I'm also considering an M42 mount lens, or any other mount that has a speed booster available. I just saw a Carl Zeiss Jenna 35mm f2.4. Anyone have experience with this lens? Also found a Flektagon. What's the difference there?

What about the Tokina 100-300mm F4 AT-X lens for video film shooting??

All the photo reviews i have read are very good on this so i just got a used one on ebay should have it next week some time.

Anyone use this for filming? Hoping to get some good shots of Boats racing, Skiing, jet skiing, airplanes, Motocross, Birds and what ever for a zoom. Hope it is easy to manual focus at 300mm or around 450 on my cropped camera.

I got the Nikon version so it will also work on my Nikon photo cameras to.

the Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS is one of the best 28mm lenses ever made , this lens has EIGHT elements in EIGHT groups. This gives it a level of correction seen in no other Nikon wide angle (similar to an aspheric element lens)

get one cheap off ebay

It's been a bit since you posted this, but a recent check shows about $600 for one of these. My question, suppose you wanted to buy a set of Nikkor manual primes for a new kit. Say for an a7s, but the gh4 with speed boost adapter also counts. Whatever. Which lenses would you choose and how much would be the top most you'd be willing to pay? Also, suggestions for a fisheye?

Hey guys, I am looking for suggestions for a lens. I am looking for the most compact 28mm (ish) f2.8 or faster lens for the A7s. I am looking mostly for size with the adapter and quality. Any recommendations? I am currently using a pentax mount vivitar F2, but I shoot mostly at f4 as it is soft otherwise. It would be great to find something of better quality and smaller if possible...?

Thanks in advance

Hello Andy, I can buy a canon FD 35mm 1:2 SSC….I allready have a FD28mm 2.8 would it be a nice addition. And would you advice me to use with a speed booster on a MFT cam? Thanks

​yes get an RJ canon fd to micro m3/4 speedbooster off ebay  - they are superb with Fd lenses

It's been a bit since you posted this, but a recent check shows about $600 for one of these. My question, suppose you wanted to buy a set of Nikkor manual primes for a new kit. Say for an a7s, but the gh4 with speed boost adapter also counts. Whatever. Which lenses would you choose and how much would be the top most you'd be willing to pay? Also, suggestions for a fisheye?

​I saw one on ebay 2 days ago for £120 !!

24mm

28mm

35mm

50mm

85mm

105mm

Thats a great nIkon set to have

or just get a Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 IF ED (the Bourne Lens)

it covers most of the above in one lens......if it good enough for The Bourne Ultimatum .....its good enough for you and me!!

Nikon do a 15mm f5,6 ITS VERY RARE BUT INSANLEY GOOD!!

they also do a 13mm f5.6

both these where used by Richard Edlund and John Dykstra to shoot VistaVision model shots for Star Wars!

Hey guys, I am looking for suggestions for a lens. I am looking for the most compact 28mm (ish) f2.8 or faster lens for the A7s. I am looking mostly for size with the adapter and quality. Any recommendations? I am currently using a pentax mount vivitar F2, but I shoot mostly at f4 as it is soft otherwise. It would be great to find something of better quality and smaller if possible...?

Thanks in advance

​Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS

Yahsica ML 28mm f2.8

Carl Zeiss Contax C/Y 28MM f2.8

all very very good all full frame ...

When I had the d5200 I had the 35mm DX. Wasn't a big fan I'm afraid. Flimsy focus ring with infinite rotation and no distance scale.

I'll be using the lens on a speed booster with my Panasonic GX7. I'm also considering an M42 mount lens, or any other mount that has a speed booster available. I just saw a Carl Zeiss Jenna 35mm f2.4. Anyone have experience with this lens? Also found a Flektagon. What's the difference there?

​Carl Zeiss Jenna 35mm f2.4 is a Flektogon .....its a great cheap lens that everyone should have .....its does the job and edits in well with A helios 58mm f2

​I saw one on ebay 2 days ago for £120 !!

Yeah, a closer look at keh and more ebay listings shows that I was either pricing a unit in crazy good condition or checking a listing posted by a crazy person.

24mm

28mm

35mm

50mm

85mm

105mm

Thats a great nIkon set to have

This is useful. Thank you!

or just get a Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 IF ED (the Bourne Lens)

it covers most of the above in one lens......if it good enough for The Bourne Ultimatum .....its good enough for you and me!!

You've also been raving about the Tokina atx pro 28-80 f2.8. But then you warn that they're push-pull (or maybe one of them is) and that folks ought to know this before buying.

Not to ask a dumb question but what's wrong with push-pull zoom? Doesn't that mean the lens has a fixed tube length? And wouldn't that make it easier to mount on a rig with matte box? I mean, twist zooms that twist out like push-Popsicles, how do you matte box those things?

I've got to be missing something obvious here.

Nikon do a 15mm f5,6 ITS VERY RARE BUT INSANLEY GOOD!!

they also do a 13mm f5.6

both these where used by Richard Edlund and John Dykstra to shoot VistaVision model shots for Star Wars!

​Yeah, I'm not looking for rare or very expensive lenses here. Just a set of five or six fast basics good enough to shoot low budget fiction. Want to declick if possible and mount gear rings for follow focus.

EDIT: Another question: the difference between the Nikon F1.2 / F.14 50mm lenses. For obvious reasons, the F1.2 is more expensive. But is it worth it? I mean, beyond the additional light gathering and slightly wider aperture, is there some major optical reason why I should choose the f1.2 over the f1.4? Or is it only a marginal improvement for a lot more money?

Yet another question: When judging lenses for quality, what problems will kill a purchase for you? If there are slight scratches that "do not affect image quality", OK? What amount of "slight mold" if any is acceptable? Or how about "oil in the aperture blades?"

A good discussion for this thread might be, "how does one judge used lens quality and what problems should disqualify a lens from purchase?" 

You've also been raving about the Tokina atx pro 28-80 f2.8. But then you warn that they're push-pull (or maybe one of them is) and that folks ought to know this before buying.

Not to ask a dumb question but what's wrong with push-pull zoom? Doesn't that mean the lens has a fixed tube length? And wouldn't that make it easier to mount on a rig with matte box? I mean, twist zooms that twist out like push-Popsicles, how do you matte box those things?

I've got to be missing something obvious here.

​The Tokina is Not a push pull lens ....I have never mentioned that I  have no idea where you have got this misinfomation from

​The Tokina is Not a push pull lens ....I have never mentioned that I  have no idea where you have got this misinfomation from

​Error on my part. It happens. Perhaps the Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 is? Regardless, the general question still stands though. Push-pull compared with twist for use with rails rig and matte box. Is there a reason to preference either?