Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'll stay away from the 70-200 and hunt for the AFS version of the 80-200 ...I believe Lanparte even makes a reverse follow focus gear to use with Nikons so that you're always pulling focus in the same direction...I also assume that the AF version of the 80-200 is not the same quality optics as the AFS version

Very excited about these lenses!!

we are in very good company DP's Roberto Schaefer, Trent Opaloch, Newton Thomas Sigel, Phil Meheux , Oliver Woods and Barry Ackroyd  use them too.

they are using the AF-D NIKKOR ED not the AFS version   (which is actually sharper!!)

here is TLS that rehoused them for PL mount

http://www.truelens.co.uk/index.php?webpage=product_detail.php&product_id=484672&cID=52369

Yes make a rig just for this lens as it is so big and needs support .l have a set of rods with a manfrotto small quick release plate for the camera and a lens support to hold the end of the lens.l use a cable tie to hold the end of the lens tight onto the lens support.

hello, in the next months I will be buying a new system altogether, sony a7000 hopefully...but an E mount for sure.

I want a few sets of lenses to go with it... I have a tokina 80-200 f4 and looks vise it`s my favorite lens. I was thinking about just getting an At-x version of it along with the 28-70 with a speedbooster. I have a helios 50 that I think works with it very nicely. I would like to have a fast 35mm prime to go along with those....what would you suggest? 

We also share a cine set of samyangs with a friend, for the more comercial look.

And I would also like to have a set of c-mount lenses for the more extreme vintage look, but I don`t know much about those.

Can you guys recommend a great lens to go with the gh2? I use the SLR Magic 25mm .95 CINE I with a hacked GH2 but I want to get even better image quality. I was looking at some Carl Zeiss lenses. Its for short indie comedy films. Just an overall beautiful prime lens that out-does or goes well with the slr magic 25mm. Thank you!

if you want Carl Zeiss the best for the money are the Contax Carl Zeiss in C/Y mount - superb glass great warm colours and nice blacks good modern contrast and very sharp!!

25mm f2.8 Distagon

28mm f2.8 distagon

35mm f2.8 Distgon

50mm f1.7 Planar

they will last you a lifetime!!

put them on a Canon - micro 4/3  Mitakon Zyhonji Lens Turbo and they become f2 and even sharper and wider (x0.7)

or get the Yahsica ML equivilants as they are made in the same factory and are optically almost identical and ALOT cheaper

I've posted lots about the Ysshicas .....so search the posts on them on this forum.

Bit the bullet and finally just bought a used Voigtlander Nokton 25mm.  I've really liked renting it in the past and found one at a decent price.  I thought hard about the SLR Magic version, but I keep reading they're hit or miss on QA and I really don't have the patience shipping things back and forth in case I get the bad penny.  At least there's a local Voigtlander dealer I can work with. 

​I have that one and the 17.5mm. Really nice lenses. Only downside for me is that I can't use them on my new NX1 which I will recive today :)

I will look into those Carl Zeiss lenses. Thank you Andy Lee!

Do you think those Carl Zeiss lenses would produce better quality or picture than my slr magic 25mm? I like it a lot but I feel like I good get even sharper, more cinematic, somehow...

Would you guys recommend getting the voigtlander 17.5 or something around that- that could out do the slr magic 25mm? thanks again for all the help.

Hi Andy...I won the x0.7 adapter you pointed me to...can you please elaborate the process of adding the rings...do yo add more than one?...I also presume it has to be a 77mm male to 72mm female step down ring and lastly is there a crucial distance to achieve between the front lens element and the wide by adapter

All the best

Cheers

Fritz

remove the bayonet mount with the grub screws on the side of it

then buy 3 x 77mm cheap UV filters for $1 off ebay

remove the glass fron the filters

araldite them to the rear ring of the century to bring it upto the height of the rear element -

lastly add a 77-72 step down ring as the final part of the stack...

I have 77 - 72mm step down rings on my Nikon and Tokina lenses so they take Tiffen 72mm NDs -----

I like having both the Nikon and the Tokina even though they are the same focal lengths they both have very good looks that are uniquely different .

The Nikon I like to think has a look like an Arri Zeiss Master Prime - a very modern clean strong blacks v sharp wide open modern cinema glass look like Fincher uses

(they did use this lens on Bourne) 

where as the Tokina has a certain Mojo about it that is probabally more filmic than the Nikon , it just makes everything looks great!! - I always shoot both lenses at f2.8

inside , outside day or night!!    get the Tiffen NDs on it !!

​I got this Tokina on Andy's suggestions.  Really great lens.  Has a soft focus look until it's sharp, and the F2.8 works really good with speedbooster.  I just wish the focus ring could be locked, kinda wonky push pull for manual/AF "toggle".   I also wish it was single coated, but still flares well.  Very good for people shots with the soft look.

I also bought the Tokina 28-70 2.6 as Mr. Lee considered (his suggestions are priceless - thank you very much!).

I immediately liked the lens very very much. And it is a wonderful match for the Isco 54.

This combo brought me back from small gauge film to have some (much cheaper) fun with my "old" GH3.

This brings me to a point: There are so many discussions about 'filmic' look and the lack of it - particular with the GH4.

I also think the GH2 looked better than the GH3 but maybe I will buy the GH4 as this Tokina makes me trust more

in the lens for some look instead of the camera.

So with all my old lenses (Canon FDs, M42's) it could be possible to have a nice and warm look (or whatever filmic is...) with such a

modern camera like the GH4 or am I totally wrong?

Again thanks a lot for all the great infos!

PS I thought the Tokina is an old lens - but mine (I bought it from ebay) was sold new in a store last year (according to the bill in the box)?!

Hi Andy

Just a brief note...won the 28-70 AF-S, and though it came at a high price ($960), it was described as virtually unused and in "new" condition...like you I am a big fan of shooting long....an intimacy level with the actors can be achieved that is rarely there when you're right in front of them...Thank you so much for your guidance with this...I've seen stills these lenses produce and of course the Bourne and Bond films...can't wait for this glass!!!....all the best!!

Fritz

I also bought the Tokina 28-70 2.6 as Mr. Lee considered (his suggestions are priceless - thank you very much!).

I immediately liked the lens very very much. And it is a wonderful match for the Isco 54.

This combo brought me back from small gauge film to have some (much cheaper) fun with my "old" GH3.

This brings me to a point: There are so many discussions about 'filmic' look and the lack of it - particular with the GH4.

I also think the GH2 looked better than the GH3 but maybe I will buy the GH4 as this Tokina makes me trust more

in the lens for some look instead of the camera.

So with all my old lenses (Canon FDs, M42's) it could be possible to have a nice and warm look (or whatever filmic is...) with such a

modern camera like the GH4 or am I totally wrong?

Again thanks a lot for all the great infos!

PS I thought the Tokina is an old lens - but mine (I bought it from ebay) was sold new in a store last year (according to the bill in the box)?!

​This is my test with the GH4 + Tokina 28-70 + Kowa 2x.  I think the GH4 has the most potential, and it works even better with 4K photo mode recording.  The video was shot 3:2 aspect ratio.  I also had a hacked GH2 then a GH3.  The GH4 by far is the best of all them.