Lenses - Sticky Topic

11 hours ago, kye said:

The K35 looks like it has more wide-angle distortion, almost like it is a wider lens that's closer to the subject, but that isn't the case.

Of the more affordable lenses around, what are the ones that stand out? and why?

While I think some of the FD L lenses are at ridiculous prices (24 1.4 especially) I till think it I a lovely lens and I wish I had kept my 50 1.2 L and that my 85 1.2 L did not have the dissolving bearing issue.     The 85 L can be had for (sort of) reasonable prices (be careful about the bearing problem).

I think most older lenses now should be looked at individually because you do not know how hard their "lives" have been or if they were even good copies to begin with.

Shot from my FD 24 1.4 L at 1.4 on my old A7s.

DSC09273.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got myself some new glass for Christmas. I do prefer native lenses but the Sigma Speedbooster combo works really well! Screengrabs from GH5 + Speedbooxter XL + Sigma 35/1.4 + Black Pro Mist 1/4. 

Just got a Voigtlander 40mm 1.2. Haven't had a chance to test in video yet. But DAMN

A few stills from a shoot last night all on the Pocket 4K XL and CZ 35mm 2.8. 

Posted Images

I recently converted my Blackmagic 6K Pro to PL mount with the Wooden Camera Mount Modification kit, so now I am looking for some modern highspeed PL-mount S35 lenses. It seems like there has been resurgence of low-cost fullframe PL lenses (DZOFilm, Meike, Laowa, SLRmagic) but those all start at T2.1 and cover full frame. Since the Xeens (which I personally do not really like) has there been any recent developments for high speed S35 PL-glass in that price segment? Or is everyone moving on to full frame to future proof their purchases?

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2021 at 5:17 AM, noone said:

While I think some of the FD L lenses are at ridiculous prices (24 1.4 especially) I till think it I a lovely lens and I wish I had kept my 50 1.2 L and that my 85 1.2 L did not have the dissolving bearing issue.     The 85 L can be had for (sort of) reasonable prices (be careful about the bearing problem).

I think most older lenses now should be looked at individually because you do not know how hard their "lives" have been or if they were even good copies to begin with.

I think youtube is both a boon and burden in this regard. Boon in thats there plenty of footage available to view, however a burden in these guys are probably inadvertently pushing the prices towards the stratosphere, in some cases.  I'm also adverse to some of the tactics some of them use that get mentioned on the forum from time to time.

Still i'm old enough to be cynical about most of it, and i take a grain of salt with everything online anyway. 

I have a theory that a lens that was good for photography in its day, should also work for video. Except perhaps a lens that has bad  ( breathing )  thats the only thing that springs readily to my mind.   As theories go it might no be up there with Einstein's general  theory on relativity, but for a jumping off point it works (for me ) anyway. Feel free to elaborate or build on my framework as you see fit 🙂

I think the internet is great for research, at times it can feel abit hit or miss finding those gems.

I'm a long way from suburbia, ebay is my friend. Sadly i have no affiliate links for you to buy from 🤣. If i had a concern about a lens with ( say dissolving bearings )  i would send a message to the seller seeking clarification, so far, that strategy has served me well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some Angenieux 75mm glory, c-mount for S16 format. covers full m43 sensor with some light vignetting. Another gem to support the yearning for a GH6 with prores, oplf, sdi out, internal nds, super16 glory, 10bit HD up to 240fps, etc. 🙂 Lens has a glorious glow wide open at f2.5, which is like a light source of its own. I love everything about it. Hopefully it will become more thant just a magical item but for pratical use in a short film or wait, why not shoot a paid gig with it for some talking heads footage! Photo taken with the beautyful GX85. Hope that body gets the GH5 sensor and codecs some time. Now that would make m43 my format of love again.

I saw a Nikon 35mm f2, a lens from the 60ies vignette pretty strongly on a S1H in 16to9 video mode. So this little lens is doing pretty okay in that regard I think. And it´s my first and only Angenieux lens.:)

75mm glory.JPG

More Angenieux 75mm goodness with Isco 16mm 2x anamorphic.

Shot on S35 anamorphic crop with my Lumix S1. This lens covers open gate m43 and Super35 in  16 to 9 and s35-ish in 4to3, which is less width but more heigth than  Super35 16 to 9 on the S1. Wish the S1 offered all of the full frame sensor heigth for 4to3 ratio plus full width of s35 crop in anamorphic 4to3.

Anyway, I combined this lil beauty with the Isco, without clamp, held by hand. So here goes y first anamorphic "test":)

https://vimeo.com/549191623