Lenses

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, leslie said:

we should probably  start a too poor to have it all thread with reviews.  The other idea i have is clean up best you can and flog em on ebay

It wasn't THAT long ago I was seriously considering paying around $12,000 (at a time the Aussie dollar was about equal with the US$) for a Nikon 300mm f2 lens.....Now I baulk at a couple of bucks!     Sigh!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, kye said:

The ARRI Master Anamorphic prime lenses start at USD$50k each, and go up to $65k.

This thread is the “too poor to have it all” lens thread!

aren't you just banging your head against a wall with all this talk of arri ? just get a russian nap or cinelux and be done with it ?

2 hours ago, noone said:

It wasn't THAT long ago I was seriously considering paying around $12,000 (at a time the Aussie dollar was about equal with the US$) for a Nikon 300mm f2 lens.....Now I baulk at a couple of bucks!     Sigh!

i could redraw on the mortgage and get a 2nd hand ARRI Master Anamorphic prime lens or a new tractor ? probably neither will happen until it rains

15 minutes ago, leslie said:

aren't you just banging your head against a wall with all this talk of arri ? just get a russian nap or cinelux and be done with it ?

Of course I am...  considering this is the budget lens thread :) 

The spherical cine lenses aren't that much cheaper!

Honeslty, the Sirui is quite impressive as long as you crave 1.33 anamorphic. Flares are pretty nice and lens looks sharp as hell. It's a fantastic first step in the right direction, which is affordable anamorphics.

Since Chretien's invention of hypergonar in the... 20's, nothing much has been invented in the anamorphic world, yet, for obscure reasons, everytime you look up for an anamorphic lens, its price is in the thousands of dollars range. I guess it's about to change ! Hopefully.

So far from what i have seen i like the sirui. Not so sure about the multiple scifi blue flares, i think they could be toned down abit. But maybe thats just me. My only issue is that 50mm becomes 100mm on the p4k and with a m/3 mount i cant fit a speedbooster  in front of it to claim back any of that crop. Perhaps the crop fear factor exists only in my head and its all abit of a non issue with the compression thing happening and the widening that you get with an anamorphic. I still feel like i'm losing something however. Besides i would still have two perfectly good anamorphic projector lenses sitting round the house, languishing away doing nothing. I hope the sirui does well, i want the sirui to do well as there isn't many options out there but i'll probably keep saving for a single focus solution.

The blue flares look nice BUT (regards the Sirui phone lens), it seems like just about every single night time phone video with car headlights in it for a while is going to have that blue flare and it is going to get very old very fast....same with video from the APSC lens maybe.        Some of those phone videos using it though are really nice and much better than most dedicated compact cameras of not very long ago can do.....wonder if that Sirui (phone)  lens would work on a P&S camera?

I think i prefer the phone Sirui than the APSC one and especially regards the flares.

1 hour ago, leslie said:

So far from what i have seen i like the sirui. Not so sure about the multiple scifi blue flares, i think they could be toned down abit. But maybe thats just me. My only issue is that 50mm becomes 100mm on the p4k and with a m/3 mount i cant fit a speedbooster  in front of it to claim back any of that crop. Perhaps the crop fear factor exists only in my head and its all abit of a non issue with the compression thing happening and the widening that you get with an anamorphic. I still feel like i'm losing something however. Besides i would still have two perfectly good anamorphic projector lenses sitting round the house, languishing away doing nothing. I hope the sirui does well, i want the sirui to do well as there isn't many options out there but i'll probably keep saving for a single focus solution.

Doesn't the math work differently for anamorphic?  I thought it was 50mm becomes 100mm, but applying the 1.33 factor that 100mm to the width gives you 75mm.  So it's as wide as a 75mm equivalent, but is obviously only as tall as a 100mm.  Maybe I'm wrong though.

41 minutes ago, kye said:

Doesn't the math work differently for anamorphic?  I thought it was 50mm becomes 100mm, but applying the 1.33 factor that 100mm to the width gives you 75mm.  So it's as wide as a 75mm equivalent, but is obviously only as tall as a 100mm.  Maybe I'm wrong though.

I believe you're correct but the horizontal FOV would be equivalent to a 67mm lens and the vertical would be a 100mm.

But I think the crop factor on the P4K is 1.89x, so then it would make the horizontal FOV equivalent to a 64mm lens.

I think?

17 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

A couple of grabs from some things I was doing last week with the Canon EF 50 mm-f/1.4 USM c/w Metabones 0.71x on the Pocket4K.

50mm1.thumb.jpg.4d92749b92e99d294c63d4093bc72e43.jpg50mm2.thumb.jpg.552bf39fd7c5b242513165f85aeafa0d.jpg

First I will say, nice shots. It took me a minute to realize what the second one was... and I still am unsure if it's tree bark or a tribute to Allister Crowley. 

Second I must admit that of all the lenses I have owned over the years, I think the EF 50mm 1.4 USM lens is an underrated gem for the price. Do you remember what aperture these were shot at?

And finally, you could get some work color grading feature films. There is such a rich, modern style to your work, especially in the midtones.

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, mercer said:

First I will say, nice shots. It took me a minute to realize what the second one was... and I still am unsure if it's tree bark or a tribute to Allister Crowley. 

Cheers

I have to confess I didn't really check what it was called. "Somewhere in Brugge by that place with the nice stew" is about as precise a note that I have for it.

Second I must admit that of all the lenses I have owned over the years, I think the EF 50mm 1.4 USM lens is an underrated gem for the price. Do you remember what aperture these were shot at?

They are all part of the focus pull demo collection for my controller so will have been fairly wide. The statue one was definitely wide open and the London one would probably have been around f4.

And finally, you could get some work color grading feature films. There is such a rich, modern style to your work, especially in the midtones.

I'd love to pretend that it was some studiously considered technique but its mainly just random messing about with settings so any similarity to anything decent is purely coincidental!

9 hours ago, noone said:

The blue flares look nice BUT (regards the Sirui phone lens), it seems like just about every single night time phone video with car headlights in it for a while is going to have that blue flare and it is going to get very old very fast....same with video from the APSC lens maybe.     

I want to like this lens, but the flairs are a bit out of control. I think you're right that it is going to get old fast, especial since it triple flares so easily. If it had a warm flare, I'd be all over this lens in a heartbeat. It seems reasonably sharp and the no-hassle appeal of a single focus lens with no adaption necessary under $600 is super appealing. Hopefully this will spur other lens makers to get in the game. I can see Meiki and Rokinon competing in this space.

9 hours ago, mercer said:

I believe you're correct but the horizontal FOV would be equivalent to a 67mm lens and the vertical would be a 100mm.

But I think the crop factor on the P4K is 1.89x, so then it would make the horizontal FOV equivalent to a 64mm lens.

I think?

Not sure.  The only thing I'm certain of is that a 50mm anamorphic is wider across the horizontal FOV than a 50mm circular lens would be :) 

2 hours ago, kye said:

Not sure.  The only thing I'm certain of is that a 50mm anamorphic is wider across the horizontal FOV than a 50mm circular lens would be :) 

i grabbed this from andrews anamorphic guide hope it helps, because i have trouble sorting it out myself ?

The multiplier numbers themselves are easier to visualise. A 2x anamorphic lens would make a lens twice as wide horizontally. A 50mm lens would become 25mm in terms of field of view across the width of the image. An anamorphic lens does not give any wider field of view vertically, only horizontally.

mercer is right about the crop factor. i thought it was 2x however its closer to 1.9x

11 hours ago, mercer said:

I think?

1 hour ago, leslie said:

i grabbed this from andrews anamorphic guide hope it helps, because i have trouble sorting it out myself ?

The multiplier numbers themselves are easier to visualise. A 2x anamorphic lens would make a lens twice as wide horizontally. A 50mm lens would become 25mm in terms of field of view across the width of the image. An anamorphic lens does not give any wider field of view vertically, only horizontally.

mercer is right about the crop factor. i thought it was 2x however its closer to 1.9x

So, 50mm with a 1.33 factor will have the width of a 37.6mm lens, but on the P4K that becomes a 71mm horizontal FOV?