Lenses

Andrew Reid

I shoot video with a GH2,but it I don't care for it as a stills camera. A friend gave me a nice deal on a 5D classic with a 70-200 f2.8 IS (version 1).  I need at least one fairly wide lens for it.  It seems my Nikon mount Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 that I use on the GH2 could actually be useful on the 5D with only a little vignetting between 28-35mm.  But I can't find an easy way to attach this lens to the 5D without losing control of aperture.

Or if I can't make the Sigma work...
Is it worth trying the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II for the 5D? I've seen that the focus ring is terrible and it's not very sharp wide open.  Any suggestions for a very affordable 50mm or wider lens for the 5D that's at least F1.8? Is it difficult to adapt the aforementioned 50mm Planar or Pancolar to the 5D?

​how to using 5D mk I for video? Even without live view.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I shoot video with a GH2,but it I don't care for it as a stills camera. A friend gave me a nice deal on a 5D classic with a 70-200 f2.8 IS (version 1).  I need at least one fairly wide lens for it.  It seems my Nikon mount Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 that I use on the GH2 could actually be useful on the 5D with only a little vignetting between 28-35mm.  But I can't find an easy way to attach this lens to the 5D without losing control of aperture.

Or if I can't make the Sigma work...
Is it worth trying the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II for the 5D? I've seen that the focus ring is terrible and it's not very sharp wide open.  Any suggestions for a very affordable 50mm or wider lens for the 5D that's at least F1.8? Is it difficult to adapt the aforementioned 50mm Planar or Pancolar to the 5D?

​I mentioned this adapter two posts before yours http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-D-Type-EOS-Camera/dp/B008BBIBOM

the contax planar 50 1.7 is very easy to adapt just buy an adapter., you might have to file some metal piece down but I think the 5dclassic disnt have that problem. use google.

yes its a very nice East German made Zeiss Lens and will be great on your g6

it will also sharpen up and become wider on your Mitakon speedbooster it will also be f2 .....which is very usefull

In general now I always use a speedbooster and it does a great thing of increasing resolution and sharpness of all lens I use with it and the extra stop is always handy

the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 is one of the sharperst lenses I own - its insanely sharp ! it out performs all my other wide lenses

The Zeiss is an older lens it has no aspheric elements in it like the Panny 14mm does - so its not quite as sharp

BUT thats also a good thing as I do find the Panny 14mm needs to be edited in with other lenses carefully as it just jumps off the screen as its so sharp.

The Ziess and a speedbooster will have a very nice look to it

SO KEEP BOTH!! they have their uses !!

After moving from m43 to the a7s I am still struggling to find a proper equivalent for my Voigtländer 25mm f0.95.

I dont care (yet) whether it is APS-C or Fullframe, so I am looking either for a 35mm or 50mm with at least f2, better f1.4. Minimum focus distance should be around 30cm and I prefer "real" focus instead of focus by wire (although i am open to it, if it works good). Pure awesomeness would be either setting the f-stops on the lens , compactness and/or IS, but this is optional. It would be also fine for me if it is a bit wider than 35 respectively 50mm, so sth like 28mm or 45mm would be also within my range.

Candidates I already found:

• Canon 35mm f2.0 IS 
  • Olympus Pen F 38mm 1.9

Candidates i removed from my list:

• Voigtländer Ultron 40mm f2 (minimum focus distance is only 45cm)
  • Summicron 35mm / 50mm f2 (minimum focus distance is only 70cm)

Any suggestions from you guys? What should i go for within the 50mm range, if i stick to fullframe? 

How's it possible to struggle finding a 50mm full frame lens with a relatively fast aperture? 

Sony 55mm f/1.8
Canon 50mm f/1.2, 1.4, 1.8
Nikon 50mm 
Nikon 55mm f/1.8
Samyang 50mm T/1.5
Sigma 50mm f/1.4
just about any vintage 50mm lens

How's it possible to struggle finding a 50mm full frame lens with a relatively fast aperture? 

Sony 55mm f/1.8
Canon 50mm f/1.2, 1.4, 1.8
Nikon 50mm 
Nikon 55mm f/1.8
Samyang 50mm T/1.5
Sigma 50mm f/1.4
just about any vintage 50mm lens

​Sorry - you are absolutely right. I forgot to mention that i am a pure run&gun guy, so i need a short focus throw of arround 90 degrees - and that makes it quite difficult.

nikkor 35 1.4 or 35 2, the ai-s versions have a short throw and focus 0.3m. They have CRC which makes them very nice on close focus distance. I have the first version of the 35 f2 and it really shines on close focus.

the nikkor 50 1.2 is also "pretty cheap" and has a 90º turn, but it only focuses down to 0.5 ( I just checked with a ruler and the minimum focus on my version is 0.36m).

here two samples the first with the 50 1.2 ai-s and the second with the 35mm f2 pre-ai:

nikkor 50 1.2 ai-s.jpg

nikkor-o 35 f2 pre-ai.jpg

the nikkor 50 1.2 is also "pretty cheap" and has a 90º turn, but it only focuses down to 0.5 ( I just checked with a ruler and the minimum focus on my version is 0.36m).

​thanks, greatly appreciated! So if i got you right, the lens scale is 0.5, but actually can focus down to 0.36? Would be amazing! Which version do you have?

I've done the test again with a meter, from the front of the lens to focus point there are 37cm (the focus ring moves a little bit further from the 0.5 mark). The lens is the 9 bladed nikkor 50 1.2 ai-s. I also tried a 15$ leica elpro4 achromat diopter (+0.7) and it goes down to 30cm.

Btw I also checked the nikkor-o 35 2 and it has 19cm close focus, but I can't guarantee the ai-s short throw version focuses that close.

nikkor 35 1.4 or 35 2, the ai-s versions have a short throw and focus 0.3m. They have CRC which makes them very nice on close focus distance. I have the first version of the 35 f2 and it really shines on close focus.

here two samples the first with the 50 1.2 ai-s and the second with the 35mm f2 pre-ai:

nikkor 50 1.2 ai-s.jpg

nikkor-o 35 f2 pre-ai.jpg

​Really nice shots there. What body did you use and is that video or photo?

Can someone suggest a lens with great, attractive flaring? Modern lenses flare in a way that looks awful. I need to let my inner JJ Abrams loose ;)

​I bought the Tokina 28-85 RMC FD mount, used on ebay. This lens flares beautifully and is low contrast. Highlights are creamy and beautiful. Don't have any nice pics that show the flaring, sorry. When I get more time to shot I will snap some nice excamples. These 2 pics show the highlight creaminess(for lack of a better word). Sorry about the focusing, did not nail it here. But this lens is also soft wide open f4(which is good, imho.

DSC00045.JPG

DSC00059.JPG

After moving from m43 to the a7s I am still struggling to find a proper equivalent for my Voigtländer 25mm f0.95.

I dont care (yet) whether it is APS-C or Fullframe, so I am looking either for a 35mm or 50mm with at least f2, better f1.4. Minimum focus distance should be around 30cm and I prefer "real" focus instead of focus by wire (although i am open to it, if it works good). Pure awesomeness would be either setting the f-stops on the lens , compactness and/or IS, but this is optional. It would be also fine for me if it is a bit wider than 35 respectively 50mm, so sth like 28mm or 45mm would be also within my range.

Candidates I already found:

• Canon 35mm f2.0 IS 
  • Olympus Pen F 38mm 1.9

Candidates i removed from my list:

• Voigtländer Ultron 40mm f2 (minimum focus distance is only 45cm)
  • Summicron 35mm / 50mm f2 (minimum focus distance is only 70cm)

Any suggestions from you guys? What should i go for within the 50mm range, if i stick to fullframe? 

​Porst 55mm f1.2 can be adapted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/simbon4o/14335061575/